News: The Cowboys will have an elite offensive line in 2021?

conner01

Reaction score
Draft Sewell

Dominate
If he’s there it’s a case much like lamb where he’s too good to pass up
But we have a good oline if we can get them healthy, have a good camp and stay healthy

fansince68

Reaction score
When healthy Tyron Smith is still a top 5 tackle and he only makes $12 million a year. Top tackles almost make double that. Even if he misses a few games a year he is still a bargain.
This!!!!! Is the point I'm making. Always have to preface a Tyron statement with "when healthy". Tyron misses lots of games every season and ages every year. He can't overcome his injuries. Total recovery from back injuries are next to impossible for a person his size. It well past time to move on.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I totally agree. We need a realistic approach to talent evaluation. We overvalue our players. When the Jets mentioned Tyron in a trade for Adams last season, the board went ballistic. In reality, Tyron has been on the downward slope for years. Does anyone expect him to have a miraculous rebound next season and play all 16 games at a high level?
The Seattle defense sucks.

People went "ballistic" because Jamal Adams isn't a difference maker, not because people overvalue Tyron. Even if he is only average - he's not - he's still more valuable than Adams, especially when you factor in salary.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTB are the worst DC apologists I've ever seen. Anything to phase out the forest fire that is the 2020 season
“Blogging the ‘Boys” should be renamed, “Jonesing the’Boys”, or “Mickey Spagnola’s Alter Ego”. I’ve followed BTB on Twitter for a couple of years and the blue kool aide and homerism flows heavily. Good for a laugh though occasionally.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but this is the first year Smith has my issued more than 3 games. It's also the first year that I recall he's had surgery to try and correct his issue.

If he comes back and is able to play out his contract, we have a top 3 LT with a very team friendly contract.
Tyron Smith was my favorite player from about 2013-2017. He was the most individually dominant player we had when he was healthy, even more than the great Zack Martin. He was headed for Canton before the injuries started stacking up. I wish I could believe a player of his talent after neck or back surgery would be able to return to his once great form. But history says otherwise.

Top 3 LT? I would love that but I hope this organization is prepared with a contingency plan if he’s not better or if he has a T-Fred thought process and decides to retire. Most didn’t see that coming. Our FO tends to have a “best case scenario” view for things like this instead of being prepared for a worse case scenario.
This!!!!! Is the point I'm making. Always have to preface a Tyron statement with "when healthy". Tyron misses lots of games every season and ages every year. He can't overcome his injuries. Total recovery from back injuries are next to impossible for a person his size. It well past time to move on.
Agreed. We all hope for the best but should be prepared for the worst. I think this organization should consider drafting Penei Sewell if we have the chance.

Tussinman

Reaction score
When healthy Tyron Smith is still a top 5 tackle and he only makes $12 million a year. Top tackles almost make double that. Even if he misses a few games a year he is still a bargain.
Agreed. I love how fans begged for him to have surgery to extend his career in 2017 to 19. He finally has the surgery and now fans are acting like they don't want him ? (wasn't the whole point of surgery to fix the issues he's been having ?).

Luckily since he had the surgery early in the year he can properly be evaluated in the Spring. If where in the Sewell race we'll obviously take him but if we can't get Sewell a healthy Tyron would be good since we wouldn't have to reach for a replacement (a project 3rd rounder with a year or 2 behind the bench would be nice)

Does anyone expect him to have a miraculous rebound next season and play all 16 games at a high level?
If the surgery actually helps alleviate his issues then yes, that wouldn't be a crazy scenario

Our fans over-react when our players have injuries or surgeries. Tackles having season ending surgeries and coming back happens all the time across the league yet for cowboy fans "it's fantasy talk"

I would not doubt a generational freak with extreme work ethic coming back next year if he chooses to do so, especially if the surgery is a succcess

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
I mentioned it several years ago, Tyron Smith should have had corrective surgery years ago. He would have been much better by now.

Maybe, but most of the people I have spoken with that had back surgery were worse off. I dont think its a black and white issue. It's much less certain and probably why he didn't have the surgery. I think its a different story if the prognosis is more positive.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Maybe, but most of the people I have spoken with that had back surgery were worse off. I dont think its a black and white issue. It's much less certain and probably why he didn't have the surgery. I think its a different story if the prognosis is more positive.
From my understanding the surgery timeline for this particular surgery almost always requires missed time during the season so he delayed it because he along with the franchise legitimately thought that 2017-2019 was there window to win.

What's funny is fans whine that he didn't get the surgery earlier but if he had gotten the surgery earlier and missed the season then those same fans would of screamed "why is he taking an elective surgery during our window to win ?" or "ohh back in my day players would just play through the pain, this generation is soft"

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I disagree. I had lower back surgery on 2 ruptured discs and a 3rd one partially herniated. Thankfully, I was able to find an extremely successful both brain and back surgeon who did a very good job on me without having to fuse my lower back. Am I 100%? Never...but definitely much better than expected and for sure so much better than how I was before the surgery. This was 18 years ago. I can only imagine today's back surgeries are much more advanced and successful.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
From my understanding the surgery timeline for this particular surgery almost always requires missed time during the season so he delayed it because he along with the franchise legitimately thought that 2017-2019 was there window to win.

What's funny is fans whine that he didn't get the surgery earlier but if he had gotten the surgery earlier and missed the season then those same fans would of screamed "why is he taking an elective surgery during our window to win ?" or "ohh back in my day players would just play through the pain, this generation is soft"
Bullcrap!

I would have never complained for any needed rehab time, BECAUSE I HAVE LIVED THROUGH IT AND KNOW THE RISKS, REWARDS AND TIME IT TAKES TO FULLY REHAB.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Bullcrap!

I would have never complained for any needed rehab time, BECAUSE I HAVE LIVED THROUGH IT AND KNOW THE RISKS, REWARDS AND TIME IT TAKES TO FULLY REHAB.
To be fair it's easy to look in retreospect and say "cowboys didn't win jack the last 4 years so he should of had surgery then". Saying it wouldn't of been a big deal now vs then is completely different

If he had back surgery coming off of the promosing 2016 season then literally half of this forum would of revolted watching chaz green start the whole season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
To be fair it's easy to look in retreospect and say "cowboys didn't win jack the last 4 years so he should of had surgery then". Saying it wouldn't of been a big deal now vs then is completely different

If he had back surgery coming off of the promosing 2016 season then literally half of this forum would of revolted watching chaz green start the whole season.
This I agree 100%. Imagine if Tyron had gotten back surgery after that 2016 season, he would have been back to his normal self sometime during the 2018 season or right at the end of it. Usually takes roughly 2 years to rehab back to full health.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

He's missed 3 games a year until this year. Hardly lots of games.

CWR

Reaction score
I disagree. I had lower back surgery on 2 ruptured discs and a 3rd one partially herniated. Thankfully, I was able to find an extremely successful both brain and back surgeon who did a very good job on me without having to fuse my lower back. Am I 100%? Never...but definitely much better than expected and for sure so much better than how I was before the surgery. This was 18 years ago. I can only imagine today's back surgeries are much more advanced and successful.

Glad to hear it brother. There are no absolutes, obviously. He has elected to have surgery on his neck. Seems to always be banged up, but Im not even sure if this is even the same issue.

Motorola

Reaction score
This!!!!! Is the point I'm making. Always have to preface a Tyron statement with "when healthy". Tyron MISSES A LOT OF GAMES every season and ages every year. He can't overcome his injuries. Total recovery from back injuries are next to impossible for a person his size. It well past time to move on.

Through #77's 1st five seasons _ 2011-15 = 90 games: 89 STARTS
Smith's next four seasons_ 2016-19 = 64 games: 52 STARTS, 3 GAMES MISSED EACH SEASON
2020 - 15th season when one of the franchise's greatest OT is regressing due to the harsh toll this demanding professional sport ultimately exacted on his body.
Monitor his recovery-rehabilitation; if successful, gauge Tyron's zealousnes to return to the game to help the Cowboys go deep into the playoffs following the 2021 season.

Last edited:

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The article is full of holes, we dont know how the tackles are going to play next year, Tyron is probably done , one more injury he may be out. Collins was fat and unfit after 1 off season , now one full year off he may regress. Williams, I dont have any confidence He will ever hold up against D tackles like Donald and so .
Biadaz looks like a promising prospect , Martin is still going strong but getting injured more often ...

Techsass

Reaction score
From the article: "this line is actually fifth in the NFL in run block win rate."

I just can't believe our line is this good in the run game.
Haven't read it...yet, but I'm having a hard time believing that, too.