The Custom Choppers Thread

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If you like custom bikes as much as I do there are bound to be ones that are your favorites. Post pictures here. If you have a favorite builder let us know.

Remember, no girlie shots. This is about the bikes, not the babes.

I'm going to start by posting a link to a raffle for a custom by Arizona bike builder Roger Bourget.

http://www.bourgets.com/

All proceeds of this raffle are going to an organization sponsored by Phoenix Firefighters that is geared towards saving kids. saverkids.org is the name of the chairty.

Roger was featured on the very first episode of Biker Build Off against Billy Lane. Billy won, but Roger builds some awesome bikes.

The bike below is the $65,000 Fat Daddy that is being raffled.

thx21.jpg

Okay, now let me post some pictures of my favorites.

I get tired of the same old stuff with bikes. In other words, flames, skulls, and spider webs.

This first bike is by one of my favorite builders, Matt Hotch. His bikes are known for no kickstands but rather are hydraulic that sit on the ground as this one does. Always clean lines and very few visible cables or hoses with Matt Hotch.

matt.h5.jpg

Billy Lane is one of my favorite builders too. He is a master at great gas tanks. This bike is hubless and has no chain or belt drive. How does it run? The rear tire touches up against a drive in the engine just behind the motor that rotates the tire moving the bike.

3111726283_feca8a2db0.jpg

One of my favorite old school guys was Indian Larry. This is the last bike Larry built before he died in a tragic accident. Every inch of Larry's bikes was attended to with etchings or paint. This bike is very unique in that the entire frame is made of a chain. That is a lot of welding to get it that precise is amazing.

Indian%20Larry%20%201.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I love custom bikes and tattoos, but would never own or get either one.

The more skulls that exist on either one, the more that I like them.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love the indian larry chain frame but man I always hated those bobber tanks.

Like the other choppers as well.

I wish they still did the chopper build off shows.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3880029 said:

I've never really been a fan of that style the powder blue one is. (being that color blue doesn't help the cause either!)

The rest are cool, specifically the first chopper.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Well you just listed 3 of my favorites. Matt Hoch is a great builder...pure genius. It's a damn shame what happened to Indian Larry. Have you heard the latest on Billy Lane and his DUI/Manslaughter case in Florida? I love Billy's bikes. He has a great style. Another of my favorite from Billy is his Outta Luck bike.

Here's my 4th favorite.

Jesse James' Copper Chopper. To get the full scoop on this bike, check out Motorcycle Mania 3. The General Lee bike he builds for Kid Rock in that movie is my 5th favorite bike.

[youtube]XEP42A3YoHI[/youtube]

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3880045 said:
Well you just listed 3 of my favorites. Matt Hoch is a great builder...pure genius. It's a damn shame what happened to Indian Larry. Have you heard the latest on Billy Lane and his DUI/Manslaughter case in Florida? I love Billy's bikes. He has a great style. Another of my favorite from Billy is his Outta Luck bike.

Here's my 4th favorite.

Jesse James' Copper Chopper. To get the full scoop on this bike, check out Motorcycle Mania 3. The General Lee bike he builds for Kid Rock in that movie is my 5th favorite bike.

1006.jpg
SKNWSTCHP24-JMB.jpg

[youtube]XEP42A3YoHI[/youtube]

Can't say I like that JJ bike. That tank is hideous the way it sticks up. I like curvy contoured shapes. Like my woman. :p:

Fixed your embedded Youtube in the quoted above.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3880049 said:
Can't say I like that JJ bike. That tank is hideous the way it sticks up. I like curvy contoured shapes. Like my woman. :p:

Fixed your embedded Youtube in the quoted above.

That's Jesse's style, the high tank is a trademark of the San Fran bike builders and he took it from them. It allows you to put a lot of gas in the tank and keep the bike running on the massive ups and downs on the streets of San Fran.

Fixed the vid. Thanks. :)

Reaction score
I like Paul JR on OCC. Don't really know anyone else, but he makes some cool looking bikes. My uncle owns a chopper. I'm more into the speedbike scene but they're cool nonetheless.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
No, I haven't heard about Billy Lane. I looked it up. That's sad.

There's a builder from Vegas named Shinya that I really respect. He did a bike for the biker build off that was awesome because they combined parts from a panhead and a shovelhead for the engine and he doesn't paint the bikes. He polishes the various metals until they glow.

I used to also like the Build or Bust show.

The one builder I am not a fan of is Russell Mitchell. It's not that he doesn't build awesome bikes, because he does. But his attitude sucks. You really saw it in his episode of Build or Bust when the guy didn't want to paint his bike black. I also felt like he did less to mentor the guy on his episode than other great builders did.

For Build Off he did build a great trike, but it was plain black and the bike it was against was immaculate.

I have a lot of respect for Dallas builder Joe Martin because he does the paint himself as well as all the fabrication and mechanical.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3880029 said:

I have been watching the repeat episodes from 2006.....loved that series but that was alot to get those bikes done in 10 days

Btw who was the asian guy with the ponytail? He built some sick bikes

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm more of a Cafe Racer guy, personally.

Here are some nice ones, hope you don't mind:

bsa-lightning-1.jpg

bmw-r60-5-custom.jpg

triumph-tr6r.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
diehard2294;3880095 said:
I have been watching the repeat episodes from 2006.....loved that series but that was alot to get those bikes done in 10 days

Btw who was the asian guy with the ponytail? He built some sick bikes
I think you must mean Matt Hotch.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3880103 said:
I'm more of a Cafe Racer guy, personally.

Here are some nice ones, hope you don't mind:
Why would I mind? It's custom bikes. Any style is fine.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Count, Cafe racers are sweet. Someday I'll find one that I can afford to fix up. :)

Hos, I agree with you on Russell, he's a @#$^*!, but his bikes are sweet. I love his simple, flat black approach and his grip shifter is ridiculous.

Back to Indian Larry for a minute....I loved that chain frame, but I always wonder if it failed when he was doing his trick, and maybe that's why he fell. It's never been mentioned, but all it would take was one failed weld while he's standing on the seat and it's all over. I guess it's just hard for me to think that he screwed up, because he's done that trick so many times. Guess we'll never know.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;3880083 said:
No, I haven't heard about Billy Lane. I looked it up. That's sad.

There's a builder from Vegas named Shinya that I really respect. He did a bike for the biker build off that was awesome because they combined parts from a panhead and a shovelhead for the engine and he doesn't paint the bikes. He polishes the various metals until they glow.

I used to also like the Build or Bust show.

The one builder I am not a fan of is Russell Mitchell. It's not that he doesn't build awesome bikes, because he does. But his attitude sucks. You really saw it in his episode of Build or Bust when the guy didn't want to paint his bike black. I also felt like he did less to mentor the guy on his episode than other great builders did.

For Build Off he did build a great trike, but it was plain black and the bike it was against was immaculate.

I have a lot of respect for Dallas builder Joe Martin because he does the paint himself as well as all the fabrication and mechanical.

Is Russell Martin the British guy? If so he is an ***.

The bike Joe Martin built for the Build Off was nice. The paint job was incredible.

My favorite is Jesse James. I don't know if he still does it but he built the whole bike. He didn't buy a frame or tank from someone else. He made a cool bike for Shaq. It was built to fit a 7'2 man. Jesse sat on it and could reach the handlebars or the footpegs. :laugh1:

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3880185 said:
My favorite is Jesse James. I don't know if he still does it but he built the whole bike. He didn't buy a frame or tank from someone else. He made a cool bike for Shaq. It was built to fit a 7'2 man. Jesse sat on it and could reach the handlebars or the footpegs. :laugh1:

Jesse is great. He might not be the model husband, but he is one hell of a bike builder. He's old school and he respects the history of the industry. And as you said, he builds it all.
And that was funny when he was on the Shaq bike.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3880178 said:
Count, Cafe racers are sweet. Someday I'll find one that I can afford to fix up. :)

Hos, I agree with you on Russell, he's a @#$^*!, but his bikes are sweet. I love his simple, flat black approach and his grip shifter is ridiculous.

Back to Indian Larry for a minute....I loved that chain frame, but I always wonder if it failed when he was doing his trick, and maybe that's why he fell. It's never been mentioned, but all it would take was one failed weld while he's standing on the seat and it's all over. I guess it's just hard for me to think that he screwed up, because he's done that trick so many times. Guess we'll never know.
He actually was not riding that bike when he died. Biker build off had footage of him on the bike he fell off of and it was gold colored.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3880185 said:
Is Russell Martin the British guy? If so he is an ***.

The bike Joe Martin built for the Build Off was nice. The paint job was incredible.

I think Jesse closed his shop last year.

He did a bike for Smith and Wesson that I loved. Wish there was a better pic of it. Yeah, it does have flames.

http://i465.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr17/FAFHD/WCC/WCC%202/GetAttachment.jpg

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Hostile;3880216 said:
He actually was not riding that bike when he died. Biker build off had footage of him on the bike he fell off of and it was gold colored.

I feel a lot better now. It only took 6 years to find this out :eek::
Did you see the bike that a Billy Lane and a few guys from Indian Larry's shop built as a memorial to him? It's very cool.