The Dallas Cowboys Are NOT America's Team... The Commanders Are

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
This person does not even understand what Americas team means, it has nothing to do with being near the capital what a buffoon

SweetDC

Reaction score
Hatin' on suckers need only look to NFL Films for the source of their "America's Team" constipation...errr, I mean consternation. :p:

Why The Cowboys Are America's Team
After each season, personnel at NFL Films put together highlight films of each team's games. After editor Bob Ryan prepared the tape of the Dallas Cowboys following Super Bowl XIII, he had to come up with a title. By 1978, the Cowboys had been on national television far more than any other NFL franchise.

Dallas players, from Roger Staubach to Tony Dorsett to Randy White to Too Tall Jones to Harvey Martin, and on and on, were household names regularly featured on billboards and in television, radio, and print advertising.

Considering the team's popularity - or notoriety, a term Cowboys haters preferred - Ryan came up with the title of "America's Team." It caught on.

Tom Landry hated the appellation. He thought it would provide extra incentive to opposing teams. Eventually, though, he resigned himself and actually came to like it. Dallas players, too, had their doubts. The nickname has stuck with the Cowboys ever since.​
-Excerpt from the book Dallas Cowboys: Our Story
In Bob Ryan's own words:
"After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television.

If you think back, there has always been one team in each sport that has support from fans nationwide: the Yankees in baseball, Notre Dame in college football, the Boston Celtics in pro basketball. They are all America's teams. So I put that name on the Cowboys' film, and in 1979 the TV announcer for their first game introduced the Cowboys as 'America's Team.'
They took a lot of heat for it, but it stuck.

Later other clubs like the Atlanta Braves and the U.S. Olympic hockey team have tried to call themselves 'America's Team.' But that name belongs to the Cowboys."​
-Bob Ryan, Vice President and editor-in-chief, NFL Films (1979)

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;2324617 said:
We are not arrogant enough to think we are America's team

Just keep ignoring the team in DC. Its better that way :)

Trust me. Your not flying under the radar this year. The spotlight is coming your way. In fact, its on you now. After you win a game and the mass media isn't satified with your "style points", they (the media) will be coming after your team, too.

This guy left out the Smurfs. Remember when they were drilling us in Dallas, and they started doing that group high five thing back in the 80s. I think it was a Monday night game. Dallas had some players trying to break them up.

I will say this. Gary Clark was really good.

Oh, yeah. If the writer doesn't think Dallas is America's team, just look at the Fox T.V. map on Sunday. Plus, the Cowboys' fans took over the Titans' stadium in 2006. That was sweet. What other team's fans can take over a stadium on the road? The Steelers and Packers, maybe. Heck, the Cardinals are fixing to find out what that feels like.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talk about not doing your homework.

1. Nate Newton is not currenty in jail.
2. Green Bay did lose a Super Bowl.
3. The Cowboys did not "take that term" America's Team. NFL Films created it and it is true so what's the problem?

I'm sure there are more falsehoods, but you get the point.

Ren

Reaction score
another year another team who thinks they are americas team, can't even remember who it was last year the pats i think. The year before that it was the Aints yet here we are still with the most prime time games, merchandise sales and TV ratings.

keep on keeping on haters :lmao:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
just as a writer coined us America's Team....a writer also is responsible for Notre Dame being called the Fighting Irish......If I recall, the did not have a mascot or nickname in their early days.....

after a football game, some writer wrote in his column that Notre Dame fought like a bunch of wild irishmen.....after that, the took the name of the Fighting Irish and have embraced it ever since.

StylisticS

Reaction score
41gy#;2324940 said:
Oh, yeah. If the writer doesn't think Dallas is America's team, just look at the Fox T.V. map on Sunday. Plus, the Cowboys' fans took over the Titans' stadium in 2006. That was sweet. What other team's fans can take over a stadium on the road? The Steelers and Packers, maybe. Heck, the Cardinals are fixing to find out what that feels like.

Not just the Fox Map. But the entire map. They have been on just about every tv in the nation for the entire season so far. They have dominated the tv sets and it kills people to see that. It will probably be the same next week.

DCgirl13

Reaction score
I hate using the term "Americas Team" because it makes us sound like a bunch of bandwagoners, but the Boys prove why they are called that by how many die hard fans I meet no matter where I go. It's awesome.:star:

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
So I guess from this idiots rationale, the Nationals is baseball's version of America's team, the Wizards is basketball's version of America's team, and the Capitals would be the NHL's version of America's team.

Here in lies the flaw:
Basketball: Wouldn't the Lakers or Celtics be considered America's team since they've dominated the championships as far as wins and appearances?
Baseball: The Yankees would clearly be the candidate here, and they are probably the most hated team in baseball.
NHL: Detroit would claim this moniker because of how they've dominated the sport.

It's ridiculous to think that anything is America's whatever based solely on geographical location. This guy has no merit or substance to his claim.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2325364 said:
So I guess from this idiots rationale, the Nationals is baseball's version of America's team, the Wizards is basketball's version of America's team, and the Capitals would be the NHL's version of America's team.

Here in lies the flaw:
Basketball: Wouldn't the Lakers or Celtics be considered America's team since they've dominated the championships as far as wins and appearances?
Baseball: The Yankees would clearly be the candidate here, and they are probably the most hated team in baseball.
NHL: Detroit would claim this moniker because of how they've dominated the sport.

It's ridiculous to think that anything is America's whatever based solely on geographical location. This guy has no merit or substance to his claim.
Great post. Would you mind if I took this idea and ran with it in the book I am writing?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2325408 said:
Fine by me. When will the book be out?
After this season, probably after the Draft and before Training Camp. For all intents and purposes it is done, but I fine tune it a little bit all the time. I work on it at least an hour every day.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Hostile;2325412 said:
After this season, probably after the Draft and before Training Camp. For all intents and purposes it is done, but I fine tune it a little bit all the time. I work on it at least an hour every day.

I can only assume that it's about the real America's Team...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2325419 said:
I can only assume that it's about the real America's Team...
With a lot of buckshot to anyone who doesn't get it.

superpunk

Reaction score
9 out of 10 Native Americans disagree with the general premise of this article.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
So do Dan Snyder's eternal foes, the Tree Conservation society.

Reaction score
I live right outside of dc and the lions game and dolphins games from last year have been the only cowboys games NOT to be televised in the DC/Metropolitan area in the last 2 seasons.

I dont have any Sunday ticket they just love the cowboys in VA/DC/MD sooo many closet cowboys fans its rediculous.