The Dallas Cowboys are the Alex Smith-era Chiefs

chagus

Reaction score
That is entirely dependent on Dak accepting a second tier QB rate with little guaranteed money.

If you sign him for three years, 50 mill/yr and 100mil guaranteed how are you not right back in this same situation in three years? The existing cap responsibilities don't disappear with a new contract. They can be spread out over the new years but they still have to be accounted for along with the new guaranteed money. If Dak plays hardball again, and Jerry caves again they could actually be in a much worse position then they are now.

If you think Dak is the guy, by all means give him an extension, the longer the better. If you don't think he is the guy than I'm struggling to see the logic in paying him big dollars for a few years only to be right back in this same position salary cap wise.
I would flip if Dallas gave Dak another huge payday. Dak made his bag. Thats generational wealth! Dak DOES NOT deserve another one.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Give me Nix in the 1st and Franklin in the 2nd.
As much as i'd like another Weapon, we need OL,DL,LB help if we gamble and take QB in round 1 i would think we go more conservative in other rounds for filling needs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lance is pretty much guaranteed the second quarterback spot. He is our 4th round pick for the 24 draft and I believe Rush is a free agent. The Cowboys have limited draft choices there not wasting two draft picks for two quarterbacks that will probably not play unless Dak gets injured.

Well yes, and I think Rush would be the odd man out. At this point, I'd try to see if we could get a 6th or 7th round pick for him. We could then have Lance as QB2 and the rookie as QB3 on the role that Lance has had. Then, we can evaluate how Lance looks while developing the rookie.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well I have to use you're pretty much as an example to it's not guaranteed because if he plays terrible in training camp and preseason he might still have to be the number 3 I think the Cowboys might have to look into bringing in someone even better than rush you see these other players picking up guys like brissett or even Flacco or some of these other guys did very well in short stints I think we need a guy like that we over even Cooper rush but I'm willing to see what Trey Lance has in OTA's mini camps training camp and preseason see what the time here shows that he has anything at all to even be the number 2...

Perhaps, and that is possible that Lance might end up being terrible. If I'm correct about the QB brought in for development to become the starter, then great. Make him the QB2.

chagus

Reaction score
As much as i'd like another Weapon, we need OL,DL,LB help if we gamble and take QB in round 1 i would think we go more conservative in other rounds for filling needs.
I think the need is more at WR. All we have is CD. Cooks is gone in '25. Gallup is toast. Dallas has Richards on OL to groom and i dont think the Oline was that HORRID this past season. However, i do understand that you cant have enough capable OL especially with Tyron Smith's status. So... tough choice.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are the Alex Smith-era Chiefs. I stated this as a comment in a post, and, as I've been digging more into it, the more I can see similarities between the Cowboys, as currently constructed, and the Alex Smith-era Chiefs, specifically circa 2016. If the Cowboys see the similarities that I see, then thats great, because I think there's a way to build this team for great success in the near future. If I am right, which, from what I see, I think is probably close, then I think I have a vision for how to make the Cowboys similar to the current Chiefs. It won't be identical, but we can be similar IF the Cowboys see what I see. Below are some of the many similarities that I see. For the sake of this thread, I will limit the comparisons to three major ones.

Part I - Comparisons

Coaching - Andy Reid vs Mike McCarthy
Andy Reid and Mike McCarthy have a lot more in common than you might think. There was a time when Reid was thought to have poor clock management skills. A lot of the criticisms thrown at Mike McCarthy were once thrown at Andy Reid, who I think we'd all see as a great coach. I won't go into too many details of this as I have a thread about this. However, I will compare a few things. Firstly, they're from a similar Bill Walsh WCO (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)). This means that they have similar philosophies. Secondly, if you watch the offenses of the 2016 Kansas City Chiefs and the 2023 (as this is the first year of Mike calling the plays) Cowboys, you can see some similarities. Below, I will show you week 1 of the Kansas City Chiefs game playing the then-San Diego Chargers and our week 4 game against the Patriots. I showed these videos to one of my roommates, who is a Chiefs fan. Observe the offenses:

If you notice, there are similarities in the ways these offenses are run. Specifically, notice the run patterns and some of the route combinations used. There are similarities that I see. My roommate who is a Chiefs fan noticed some of the similarities that I saw.

QB: Dak Prescott vs. Alex Smith
The QBs are very similar. Like Alex Smith, Dak is the type of QB who will keep you relevant, but will not lead you to much in the way of playoff success. You'll make the playoffs more often than not, but it will be frustrating because you expect more. Dak isn't the only QB to have a great record and blow a top seed. Alex Smith did too in 2016.

Tight Ends: Jake Ferguson vs Travis Kelce
I think Jake Ferguson has proven to be quite similar to Travis Kelce. If you watch the way he plays, he has a similar skillset. The measurables are similar with Jake (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Ferguson) is 6'4" and 244 lbs, while Travis Kelce is 6'5" and 250 lbs. If you watch the two of them play, they're quite similar, and not just because they wear the same number.

The important thing is that we have pieces in place that, if you put the tape on of the 2016 Chiefs and the 2023 Cowboys, you can see similarities. So, now for why this is a good thing.

Part II - How to Fix it!
So, now comes my vision on how to fix the problem. How to turn the Cowboys into a "similar to Patrick Mahomes" era. Firstly, and I know some of you are going to hate this but please read the entirety of this so you understand what I'm saying. This is not to embrace mediocrity as some of you might say. Rather, it is like planting a seed that can grow into a tree. We must extend Dak's contract. I know a lot of you hate this, but, for the cap, we must. However, and I stress however, I would either make it a 3 year deal OR make it a deal that is long BUT has an out after 2-3 years AND allows for trades (just as the Chiefs did with Alex Smith when they dealt him to Washington). This allows us to extend the cap AND gives us an out for the important part. We then draft a QB to develop like the Chiefs did with Patrick Mahomes. The QB that I'm thinking is Michael Penix from Washington. I would let him sit behind Dak for a year or two to develop, sort of like what the Chiefs did with Mahomes behind Alex Smith. Oh, and I should note (in the interest of symmetry) the Chiefs also went a long time, prior to Mahomes, without drafting a QB in the first round. Their last 1st round QB was Todd Blackledge of Penn State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kansas_City_Chiefs_first-round_draft_picks) in 1983. They drafted Mahomes in 2017. Our last first round draft QB was Troy Aikman in 1989. It is now 2024. The time would uncannily similar (+- a few years) if do it this year. But, as it stands, let us go further with this.

I would have Penix sit for a year or two and develop. Given that he'd be a first round pick, he would have the 5th year option built into his contract. Plus, by having Dak, you don't have to tear down the team in a rebuild and have shoddy records. So, we could have a QB that a lot of teams would like to have, and we'd have the QB of the future on the roster. While we do this, we also should look at what we have. We have a player in Turpin who, if used creatively, can be similar to Tyreek Hill. We have actually an upgrade at WR in Lamb. We have a TE similar to Kelce. What we would need is a QB like Penix to develop. Once he's ready, we get him on the field, use the fact that we'd have an out in Dak's contract to try to trade him, and turn the offense over to Penix. In doing this and, if my vision (and I hope it is McCarthy's vision too) for the team ends up like I think it does, we could become the NFC version of the Chiefs.

I think this is how we go from where we are now to a team who is consistently competing for a championship. The best part for Jerry? He wouldn't have had to wait very long to build the roster, and he'd be able to pad his ego by saying his patience led to us finding a similar coach to Andy Reid, while he rakes in the money for having a champion.

Very good analysis. Only with Jerry, that doesn't have to be a myth. It could be following his similar thought process and not just a fan's frustration.

Comparisons are a great asset...this one could be very relevant. Hooooooooooaaaaah!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Very good analysis. Only with Jerry, that doesn't have to be a myth. It could be following his similar thought process and not just a fan's frustration.

Comparisons are a great asset...this one could be very relevant. Hooooooooooaaaaah!
But, it also shows that there's a way forward. Who knows, like I was thinking last night, maybe he accidentally stumbled on what we need this draft at QB and Mike pounds the table for a guy.

CCBoy

Reaction score
But, it also shows that there's a way forward. Who knows, like I was thinking last night, maybe he accidentally stumbled on what we need this draft at QB and Mike pounds the table for a guy.
Oh, in any organization one gets nowhere unless he solves the problems causing failures. No argument, we hold these truths to be self-evident.