The Dallas Cowboys Minicamp Standouts + Dan Quinn & George Edwards Input|

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'd agree. I think Nolan sucks but I also think he's being scapegoated.

scapegoated? He was flat out fired for a piss poor job. No Dallas team even 1-15 Cowboys played that poorly vs the run. A basic in football to be able to stop the run and yet we see Cleveland with over 300 yards on the ground? a couple of others over 280 on the ground? No he got fired not as some scapegoat he got fired because he did a piss poor job.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
scapegoated? He was flat out fired for a piss poor job. No Dallas team even 1-15 Cowboys played that poorly vs the run. A basic in football to be able to stop the run and yet we see Cleveland with over 300 yards on the ground? a couple of others over 280 on the ground? No he got fired not as some scapegoat he got fired because he did a piss poor job.
I say he was scapegoated because McCarthy sucked and Bones Fassel sucked as well. I think our whole free agency class sucked. I think the offense even when somewhat healthy sucked starting off games and put this team in a whole having to climb out deficits every game was a issue.

I'm in by no means defending Nolan. But he was the only one fired for a team that completely SUCKED. He was scapegoated. No way around it. McCarthy gets credit for not having training camp.....Nolan didn't either yet he doesn't get that same excuse.

And while yes, they sucked against the run...they were 5th in the league in turnovers. But I mean who else were they going to fire? They couldn't fire McCarthy. Couldn't fire Moore....it had to be Nolan.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I say he was scapegoated because McCarthy sucked and Bones Fassel sucked as well. I think our whole free agency class sucked. I think the offense even when somewhat healthy sucked starting off games and put this team in a whole having to climb out deficits every game was a issue.

I'm in by no means defending Nolan. But he was the only one fired for a team that completely SUCKED. He was scapegoated. No way around it. McCarthy gets credit for not having training camp.....Nolan didn't either yet he doesn't get that same excuse.

And while yes, they sucked against the run...they were 5th in the league in turnovers. But I mean who else were they going to fire? They couldn't fire McCarthy. Couldn't fire Moore....it had to be Nolan.

There was some calls and risk by Fassel I did not like but by and large specials teams played well last season. What I saw from Nolan was the worst in team history. He got fired and should have been. I don't care about not have the time in camp what I care about is when team are gashing you week in and week out and you can't come up with something to slow the damn run game down? NO. He got fired and should have been.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There was some calls and risk by Fassel I did not like but by and large specials teams played well last season. What I saw from Nolan was the worst in team history. He got fired and should have been. I don't care about not have the time in camp what I care about is when team are gashing you week in and week out and you can't come up with something to slow the damn run game down? NO. He got fired and should have been.
Naw I can't say that. I can say that the special teams got better as the year went on but you could say the same thing about that sorry defense. They were 5th in the league in turnovers.

And this is what I mean by scapegoating....me and you and this whole fanbase sat here and watched CJ Anderson and Todd Gurley run all over us for almost 300 yards in the playoffs.....Nolan wasn't here for that.

He was scapegoated. No way around it. I would've never hired him so i'm not pro Nolan by any means. I'm just calling it how I saw it. He got scapegoated. He was easy to scapegoat. Players didn't buy into him. Fans didn't like him. Easy target. Just like Maranelli before him. Just like Kiffin before him. Just like Rob Ryan before him. Just like Wade before him....just a big *** cycle of DC's beings scapegoated.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm not saying Nolan is some great DC, but he didn't get a real camp and he didn't have any players. I don't know what he was supposed to do. It's almost hard to remember BC (before Covid) but when he was hired he had no idea he wouldn't get to coach these guys hands-on.

But even if he did... Guys, there was no talent on this defense. At all. Lawrence is good -- not great, but good -- LVE can play but of course he was hurt, #54 either decided he doesn't want to play or his leg gave out on him again, and the rookies showed flashes at times but were still rookies. Wilson showed a pulse near the end, but it's not like he was great.

Other than that, this team's talent on defense was wretched. Absolutely wretched. And those were the regs. Remember those several weeks when they were literally signing corners off the street to play that week?

You can't play NFL defense without any players. No coach can.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Naw I can't say that. I can say that the special teams got better as the year went on but you could say the same thing about that sorry defense. They were 5th in the league in turnovers.

And this is what I mean by scapegoating....me and you and this whole fanbase sat here and watched CJ Anderson and Todd Gurley run all over us for almost 300 yards in the playoffs.....Nolan wasn't here for that.

He was scapegoated. No way around it. I would've never hired him so i'm not pro Nolan by any means. I'm just calling it how I saw it. He got scapegoated. He was easy to scapegoat. Players didn't buy into him. Fans didn't like him. Easy target. Just like Maranelli before him. Just like Kiffin before him. Just like Rob Ryan before him. Just like Wade before him....just a big *** cycle of DC's beings scapegoated.

Cowboys special teams ranked 14th, not celebrating it. You can choose to believe as you wish but I am normally patient with coaches and I would fired Nolan. That was just horrible. Offense has to score 30 points to win games when defense on avg is giving up 28 points a game? If that is your view that poor Nolan was done wrong and scapegoated believe as you choose, myself I am damn happy he was fired which is something again I rarely ever say about coaches.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cowboys special teams ranked 14th, not celebrating it. You can choose to believe as you wish but I am normally patient with coaches and I would fired Nolan. That was just horrible. Offense has to score 30 points to win games when defense on avg is giving up 28 points a game? If that is your view that poor Nolan was done wrong and scapegoated believe as you choose, myself I am damn happy he was fired which is something again I rarely ever say about coaches.
You are misunderstanding me. I didn't say he was done wrong. I said he was scapegoated. Basically his firing implies that he was the only issue last year and what i'm saying is that's not the case at all. If everyone got fired based on their performance last year we'd have half of this team gone, the GM, the head coach and special teams coach.

To be honest with the Falcons game even though we won had some of the worst coaching decisions i've ever witnessed in my LIFE. From defense to special teams to offense. And if McCarthy is the one in charge of getting this team prepared on Sundays then he failed because they always came out flat.

pgreptom

Reaction score
My feeling on Nolan was that he should have compensated on the complexity of his defense. He should have understood and came to terms with the fact that no minicamps, training camp and preseason meant far less opportunity for the team to prepare his defense for the season.

When Bill Parcells first became HC he realized that he didn't have time to immediately convert the defense to a 3-4 so he kept the 4-3 for one season. That season was the highest ranked in Cowboys history for the defense. They were ranked #1 in yardage and #2 in points allowed. The Cowboys have never been ranked #1 in both categories for defense.

Those are polar opposite reactions to challenging circumstances.

That's such a b.s stat.

Anyone who remembers that season recalls the name Mario Edwards. We were #1 in defense because we had nonstop penalties. If the ball was in the air more than 15 yards there was a guaranteed flag. We were #1 in penalty yards on defense by a long shot. That defense was such a fraud.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to be that way, but I got tired of having my hopes bashed when the season started. I had rather seen them draft quality over quantity, but I hope this draft class is better than my initial impression that I had.

I didn’t think much of it at first, but the more I found out about the design of the defense under Quinn, the better it looks to me.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
My feeling on Nolan was that he should have compensated on the complexity of his defense. He should have understood and came to terms with the fact that no minicamps, training camp and preseason meant far less opportunity for the team to prepare his defense for the season.

When Bill Parcells first became HC he realized that he didn't have time to immediately convert the defense to a 3-4 so he kept the 4-3 for one season. That season was the highest ranked in Cowboys history for the defense. They were ranked #1 in yardage and #2 in points allowed. The Cowboys have never been ranked #1 in both categories for defense.

Those are polar opposite reactions to challenging circumstances.

The crazy thing is the ‘92 defense gave up less yards (Ranked #1) and points than the ‘03 D - but ‘92 was 5th in PPG

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We have standout players at minicamp but the greatest standout is our new defensive coordinator, Dan Quinn. Look at this guy teaching the craft of solid football techniques by getting in there with the players one-on-one. This is how it should be done! And the guys seem to really respond to this kind of coaching. I'm hoping it pays serious dividends, come game time. I can envision a seriously improved defense. :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You are misunderstanding me. I didn't say he was done wrong. I said he was scapegoated. Basically his firing implies that he was the only issue last year and what i'm saying is that's not the case at all. If everyone got fired based on their performance last year we'd have half of this team gone, the GM, the head coach and special teams coach.

To be honest with the Falcons game even though we won had some of the worst coaching decisions i've ever witnessed in my LIFE. From defense to special teams to offense. And if McCarthy is the one in charge of getting this team prepared on Sundays then he failed because they always came out flat.

I would say the defense was a main issue, so does most others which is why we went so strong in the draft at defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would say the defense was a main issue, so does most others which is why we went so strong in the draft at defense.

If he was the sole issue they wouldn’t have went defense heavy....that in itself tells you that they didn’t just think Nolan was a issue they thought personnel was too.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’m hopeful about this new collection of defensive players. But keep in mind that getting excited about guys “making plays” in a mini-camp in shorts and t-shirts can be deceiving. Especially with DL or LBs not in pads. All they can really show at this point is footwork which is something but the real test comes when the pads are on.
I think the excitement stems from the Fact it was such a large haul. . and they all seam to be chess pieces that fulfill a specific role that Our New D Coach is trying to implement.

As time moves on and The Personalities of these players and more film study is being conducted . . . the value is becoming clear. . . more then anything they seam to be hungry.

Coach Quinn seams to take pride in developing players to the beat of their abilities . . . he refuses to make comparisons. . . which to me says He has av vision of what each player could be and is willing to help each player achieve that success.

We shall see but I believe there is good reason for optimism. . .

Parsons is a once in a generation Prospect at MLB the one position that demands such a player to be considered a dominate defense

He is an Alpha Dog and He is fully aware of it . . . The future is brighter because of Him alone. . . It appears Quinn's Scheme fits players that other teams find flaws and feel that they would not fit their schemes

Once I understood Quinn's Duality cover 3 I also can see how each draft pick falls into place.

We will become the type of team that a Trent Dilfer could win a Championship with . . . could it be this year? With this Offense most definitely. . . but within 3 years We could win because of the defense alone.

In this run and gun track meet they call The NFL a fast Tall hard hitting D is Prerequisite in order to shut down any open area and deliver a punch to intimidates

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If he was the sole issue they wouldn’t have went defense heavy....that in itself tells you that they didn’t just think Nolan was a issue they thought personnel was too.

Nolan never adjusted, teams ran the ball at will yet never adjusted to it. Again you can feel however you choose, myself I'm glad Nolan is gone as for McCarthy I'm more than willing to give a any HC more than 1 season. Coordinators are fired pretty often around the NFL are they all scapegoats? Was Dave Shula, Jimmy Johnson scapegoat? after all Jimmy hired him and the results were poor. So call it what you choose, HC is going to get more leeway to turn a program around than a coordinator who did a poor job.

In my view when a HC is hired that HC should get a minimum or 3 years to show major improvement.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I used to be that way, but I got tired of having my hopes bashed when the season started. I had rather seen them draft quality over quantity, but I hope this draft class is better than my initial impression that I had.
Are you stating the Cowboys didn't draft Quality

NotForLong

Reaction score
We have standout players at minicamp but the greatest standout is our new defensive coordinator, Dan Quinn. Look at this guy teaching the craft of solid football techniques by getting in there with the players one-on-one. This is how it should be done! And the guys seem to really respond to this kind of coaching. I'm hoping it pays serious dividends, come game time. I can envision a seriously improved defense. :D
He makes the players feel as though He is investing in them

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nolan never adjusted, teams ran the ball at will yet never adjusted to it. Again you can feel however you choose, myself I'm glad Nolan is gone as for McCarthy I'm more than willing to give a any HC more than 1 season. Coordinators are fired pretty often around the NFL are they all scapegoats? Was Dave Shula, Jimmy Johnson scapegoat? after all Jimmy hired him and the results were poor. So call it what you choose, HC is going to get more leeway to turn a program around than a coordinator who did a poor job.

In my view when a HC is hired that HC should get a minimum or 3 years to show major improvement.
There’s some disconnect here. I’m well aware of why Bones and McCarthy weren’t fired. I’m well aware why Jaylon and co. are back. I understand it all. I’m all for firing Nolan. Never wanted him hired to begin with and I surely wanted him gone long before they decided to get rid of him.

What Jimmy Johnson did to Schula is irrelevant to the conversation. This is what teams do especially when they just hire head coaches. McCarthy sucked last year but Jerry is not going to admit a wrong after one year. He gave Garrett 10 years. Fired Wade long after he should’ve.

Jerry could not come back with the same coaching staff.

Nolan was not a fan favorite.

Easier person to can and bring back hope to this fanbase especially since a Super Bowl Champion like Quinn fell in their lap.

So to make things clear once again....I’m for the firing of Nolan. But for him to be the only one gone strikes me as a scapegoat firing. Just does. I’ve been a Cowboy fan too long to ignore what they show me.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Main issue was everyone quit on the team . . . everyone except Dalton . . . But He wasn't here when the team gave up on Garret . . . its an ongoing Organizational Philosophy . . . because they are all DIVAS

They all Blow Smoke up each others ***