News: The Dallas Cowboys shouldn’t play it safe at safety

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thomas would definitely upgrade our safety situation. But would it move Woods back to a S/CB role? We would need a larger S through draft and I don’t see many good ones, leading most likely another undrafted “gem” starting in our mix.

A lower contract FA that’s of SS build, then draft another in mid/early 3rd and our S situation is solid.

Heath will still be with the team. He would be fine as the other safety.

pacboyX

Reaction score
Heath will still be with the team. He would be fine as the other safety.

What other safety? On the bench? I’m honestly good on Heath. He had a good run with us but his time is up in my book.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What other safety? On the bench? I’m honestly good on Heath. He had a good run with us but his time is up in my book.

The other safety besides Thomas. You seemed to be saying that if we acquired Thomas there would be a necessity to get another new safety to go with him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thomas seems to be the obvious answer. But if the Cowboys want to go cheap and try to upgrade S, as I said in other threads, I'd definitely kick the tires on Tre Boston. He's better than either our current safeties, he likely would be cheap as well. That should be a prime target for a front office that prides itself on bargain deals in FA.

But they likely won't even consider it.

Sydla

Reaction score
The other safety besides Thomas. You seemed to be saying that if we acquired Thomas there would be a necessity to get another new safety to go with him.

I'd cream myself if we got Thomas and then paired him with Tre Boston at SS. We'd go from a middling pair to arguably one of the best S combos in football. And Boston likely would be cheap.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd cream myself if we got Thomas and then paired him with Tre Boston at SS. We'd go from a middling pair to arguably one of the best S combos in football. And Boston likely would be cheap.

I think of Boston as being about 2 INTs a year better than Heath, which would be nice, but not really a priority. He may not be overly expensive, but if we were to sign Thomas I would rather stand pat with what we have to fill the other safety spot and spend the money we might spend on Boston elsewhere.

Beaker42

Reaction score
With Woods playing as well as he is, I wouldn't want to bench him and replace him with a high priced FA while on his rookie deal. I can see the appeal though.

My absolute perfect scenario would be
Adrian Amos as the high priced FA
And Kenny Vacarro as the mid-tier FA who could backup both FS and SS spots
C’mon, is XWoods REALLY playing that well? Every time he hits it should be a flag and he doesn’t force TO’s. His cover and anticipation skills aren’t that great either. We need to upgrade both S spots.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think of Boston as being about 2 INTs a year better than Heath, which would be nice, but not really a priority. He may not be overly expensive, but if we were to sign Thomas I would rather stand pat with what we have to fill the other safety spot and spend the money we might spend on Boston elsewhere.

He's a much better safety than Heath. He'd be a big upgrade.

But I also know it's a pipe dream. The front office has zero interest in the guy.

Honestly, I think I might even rather spend Thomas' money on Grady Jarrett and bring in Boston to pair with Woods. And I like Thomas a lot but you give me a dominant 3T and a pretty good upgrade at S in Boston, and it's a big win for this defense IMO.

You put Jarrett on that line with Lawrence and hopefully an improving Gregory on the outside? My pants are getting tight.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys shouldn’t play it safe at safety
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/12/dallas-cowboys-safe-safety/

It’s time the Dallas Cowboys invest dollars and picks back into the safety positions. Does the team lure Earl Thomas in, or should Big D head to the draft?

Let’s settle our wish list. The Dallas Cowboys need safety star power. That is all. Eight points are what separated the Cowboys from the Los Angeles Rams in the Divisional Round of the playoffs. In the six losses over the 2018 regular season, Dallas lost by a combined sum of 62 points.

...Free safety Xavier Woods, a 2017 sixth-round pick, played in 14 games. He totaled 56 tackles, a forced fumble, and two interceptions. He turns 24 this July. Safety Jeff Heath, who turns 28 in May, played in all 18 possible games for the Cowboys. He totaled 85 tackles, zero sacks, a forced fumble, and one interception. The six-foot-one pro is entering his seventh season.

You have to figure that the Dallas Cowboys know his baseline, his ceiling, so despite his cool field goal kicking, it’s time the team looks at an immediate upgrade. The NFL is full of Jeff Heaths. Many safeties with Jeff Heath’s attributes can plug-in and play for this type of 4-3 base defense. The Cowboys need a brand in the backfield. A play-maker. A Darren Woodson hitter. Is Earl Thomas that guy? Maybe...

Have said ET wouldn't happen since January 2018 and it hasn't... yet. I've come around to thinking it could happen though and I'll stick with the last word in the post...maybe. He would be a nice piece for 2-3 years

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a much better safety than Heath. He'd be a big upgrade.

But I also know it's a pipe dream. The front office has zero interest in the guy.

Honestly, I think I might even rather spend Thomas' money on Grady Jarrett and bring in Boston to pair with Woods. And I like Thomas a lot but you give me a dominant 3T and a pretty good upgrade at S in Boston, and it's a big win for this defense IMO.

You put Jarrett on that line with Lawrence and hopefully an improving Gregory on the outside? My pants are getting tight.

I can't help but wonder, if he's that good, why is he inexpensive, and why will he be going to his 4th team in 4 years? Maybe there is an explanation I'm not aware of, but quality players at a good price are what every team is looking for.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder, if he's that good, why is he inexpensive, and why will he be going to his 4th team in 4 years? Maybe there is an explanation I'm not aware of, but quality players at a good price are what every team is looking for.

He's not great for starters. Like he's not Thomas in his prime before the injury. Also, the S market is a bizarre market where many teams seem to put a lower value on that position. Every offseason there seems to be quite a number of decent safeties available, which depresses the market. This year is no different where you will have Thomas but also Ha-Ha, Amos, Boston, etc. Teams seemingly have just made the safety a position that you can plug and play. Kind of like how we half *** it at DT thinking we can just pull bodies off the street each year, plug them in and presto, production.

Let's also note that there is something at play with regards to Boston (and a few others like Reid), and probably a big reason why this team wouldn't look at him and he's often just viewed as a short term fill in for other teams.

In the end, Boston is a better player than Heath and the Cowboys would upgrade their S position if they brought him in. IMO, as much as I like Thomas, if you brought Boston in and even Richardson at DT, for roughly the same cost as Thomas, the defense might be even that much better.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
1 - this is not a 4-3, it' a rather weird 4-2

2 - the SS in this system effectively plays SS and SLB (at the same time), that's Woodson ... not Earl, the difference is about 20 LBs of muscle, and 4" of reach.

3 - there are very few Ss in the game who match Heath's athleticism, his angles just suck
* I'd have signed Obi Melifonwu last year just to see if he could hang (24 yo and the best athlete at S, health in question)

4 - Earl Thomas is old and injured, with an ego, and price to go with it

5 - if they were gonna sign top S in FA they should have signed Reid last off season when he was cheap

and of course 4 of 5 big $ players in FAs turn out badly

just draft the best S on the board right after drafting the best pass rushing DT - keep this team young and hungry

I like this, but I'll take it in a slightly different way. I actually think we should get the best 1 tech DT we can get in FA, and then draft the best safety we can get. The reason is because, if we can get a top 1 tech to go with Antwan Woods, that can really help us develop a young safety.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He's not great for starters. Like he's not Thomas in his prime before the injury. Also, the S market is a bizarre market where many teams seem to put a lower value on that position. Every offseason there seems to be quite a number of decent safeties available, which depresses the market. This year is no different where you will have Thomas but also Ha-Ha, Amos, Boston, etc. Teams seemingly have just made the safety a position that you can plug and play. Kind of like how we half *** it at DT thinking we can just pull bodies off the street each year, plug them in and presto, production.

Let's also note that there is something at play with regards to Boston (and a few others like Reid), and probably a big reason why this team wouldn't look at him and he's often just viewed as a short term fill in for other teams.

In the end, Boston is a better player than Heath and the Cowboys would upgrade their S position if they brought him in. IMO, as much as I like Thomas, if you brought Boston in and even Richardson at DT, for roughly the same cost as Thomas, the defense might be even that much better.

Good thoughts but hard to prove Syd. Thinking is sound though