The Dark Knight Rises *Spoiler Thread*

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
187beatdown;4644137 said:
I can let Talia go only because she was the "link" and needed to be in there just to complete the story, but I felt the way she was introduced was lame. Miranda was a completely non suspicious character who's only purpose was to activate the bomb in the armory and then unmask herself out of the blue. She also COMPLETELY undermines Bane's character at the end which is really my only hated part of the movie.

Bane has this great intro to the movie and amazing look into his character throughout the whole movie. I think part of the reason I liked Bane so much was the backstory of the "legend" of how he was born in darkness and crawled his way out. Only at the end do we find out that Talia was the child of legend and this burdening sense of power he has over Batman just evaporates until the nail in the coffin where he's taken out by freaking Catwoman.

As for Catwoman, the only thing she does in the movie is act as a plot device 3 times: make Bruce lose his money, send him to get beat down by Bane, save him from Bane. Otherwise her scenes make no sense and provide nothing to her back story or give us a reason to like her.

Also as previously mentioned, the reason I did not like that this movie was 3 hours long was because a lot of it was not needed. Catwoman and Robin's character scenes provide nothing to the movie and just take up space. Why did he need to take those kids to the bridge? Why did that whole sequence take so long if they would just blow up the bridge anyway? Who is the girl Catwoman is friends with? What was the point of Miranda and Bruce having sex?

So much of the movie didn't add anything but the parts that did where absolutely amazing and very well done which made me look beyond everything else.
Nolan really threw some moviegoers with Talia al ghud (Miranda) by not revealing herself until nearly the end of the movie. I'm not so certain fans of his comic book titles felt the same way. Her character is a world class assassin associated with a very old secret society. My wife and I had both guessed who she was from practically her first scene in the movie. So, how she was used in the movie appealed to us. However, I must confess that I did not place her as the one who escaped from the prison as a child instead of Bane.

The sex scene was a rush job by Nolan. As I stated in my review of the movie in the Last Movie sticky, the scene does not establish the great love affair between Batman and Talia comic book characters. It only served to remove his suspicions of her. Of course, the movie would have taken a much different track if Talia had been revealed much earlier in the film in order to create the love affair between super hero and assassin, so I pretty much forgive him for doing so.

I agree 100% about Selina Kyle's Single White Female companion. I wasn't feeling that bond at all throughout the movie.

Catwoman's coup de grâce of Bane was fantastic in my opinion. Never underestimate a cat... or Catwoman for that matter. She will strike when you least expected and you will never know what hit you when she does. :laugh2:

The bridge scene? Me too. Then again, just as I mentioned in my movie review, I wasn't feeling the Blake character pretty much the entire movie. Even his discovery of the Batcave at the end left me un-awed (is that a word? :p: )

ethiostar

Reaction score
joseephuss;4645075 said:
A "big movie" and a "great movie" aren't always the same thing. I keep seeing the trailers for Looper and Premium Rush every time I am at the movies. He is the lead in both those movies. Maybe those will be big movies.

I guess i'm using the phrases here interchangeably to mean the same thing. By both phrases I mean one in which he plays a lead role and performs very well in what is widely considered to be a very good movie with box office success.

CashMan

Reaction score
This might be a biased opinion, because I am from Chicago. But, they did a good job, IMO of making you think, Gotham was Chicago with the 1st two movies. Then all of a sudden, they shoot in Philly, and Gotham is now Manhatten. Which in the back of my mind, when they sealed off the bridges in the 1st movie, I pretty much got that. It took a little away, for me anyway.

Reaction score
CowboyMike;4644822 said:
I actually do.

People don't realize the Joker was essentially a plot device. He had no arc. The Dark Knight was about Harvey Dent, not the Joker. Nolan has said it himself.

Bane, to me, was a much more complex and shocking villain than the Joker.

Lol I just made that cuz I was board. I think Joker is better, but as you can tell by my avatar I'm a Bane fan as well.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
My favorite part of the movie was audience participation. I only happened once.

The scene where the football field blows up, some guy shouts out "BUT HINES WARD CAN'T RUN THAT FAST!"

I laughed pretty good.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
CashMan;4645151 said:
This might be a biased opinion, because I am from Chicago. But, they did a good job, IMO of making you think, Gotham was Chicago with the 1st two movies. Then all of a sudden, they shoot in Philly, and Gotham is now Manhatten. Which in the back of my mind, when they sealed off the bridges in the 1st movie, I pretty much got that. It took a little away, for me anyway.
Yeah, but in their fictional world Gotham is bigger than Chicago...so they wanted to shoot somewhere new to in a way show more of the 'city'.

CashMan

Reaction score
StevenOtero;4646533 said:
Yeah, but in their fictional world Gotham is bigger than Chicago...so they wanted to shoot somewhere new to in a way show more of the 'city'.

I understand, but that would of worked in the 2nd movie. People know, New York and Chicago, who the **** knows Philly?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teren_Kanan;4646470 said:
My favorite part of the movie was audience participation. I only happened once.

The scene where the football field blows up, some guy shouts out "BUT HINES WARD CAN'T RUN THAT FAST!"

I laughed pretty good.
:lmao2:

StevenOtero

Reaction score
CashMan;4646546 said:
I understand, but that would of worked in the 2nd movie. People know, New York and Chicago, who the **** knows Philly?
They didn't shoot in Philly, it was Pittsburgh and NY.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
StevenOtero;4646835 said:
They didn't shoot in Philly, it was Pittsburgh and NY.

All garbage compared to Chicago :D We just dont have that many bridges so there wouldn't have been the isolation for the bomb tactic to work

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
CowboyMike;4644822 said:

Until you find out his story is actually someone else's at the very end. :(

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMike;4644822 said:
I actually do.

People don't realize the Joker was essentially a plot device. He had no arc. The Dark Knight was about Harvey Dent, not the Joker. Nolan has said it himself.

I don't think people are really comparing the "character", much more-so they are comparing the portrayal.

I think Tom Hardy did an excellent job but I also think Heath Ledger's interpretation of Joker was phenomenal.

Lodeus

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4647303 said:
I don't think people are really comparing the "character", much more-so they are comparing the portrayal.

I think Tom Hardy did an excellent job but I also think Heath Ledger's interpretation of Joker was phenomenal.
This.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
I cant wait to read the novelization. just found out they did it for the dark knight and rises

KoRnyBrad

I am the Bat!
Reaction score
the kid 05;4647501 said:
I cant wait to read the novelization. just found out they did it for the dark knight and rises

I'm reading the novelization now and while it does say Joker this and Joker that it pretty much follows the movie to a T. I read The Dark Knight and I remember it going into more detail about Harvey Dent. So far I'm not impressed, but hey it's Batman and I'll take all I can get! :laugh2: