The Definitive Seeding Thread

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of discussions of seeding around here, and a lot of confusion about the tiebreakers. I think this is fairly comprehensive.

If DAL wins out:
If we win out, we cannot be lower than the 3 seed.

Paths to the 1 Seed:
1. GB goes 2-1.
2. GB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND TB does not win out.
3. GB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND TB wins out AND LAR wins out.

Paths to the 2 Seed:
1. GB wins out AND TB does not win out. (GB is #1)
2. GB wins out AND TB wins out AND LAR wins out. (GB is #1)
3. TB wins out AND GB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out. (TB is #1)

Paths to the 3 Seed:
1. GB wins out AND TB wins out and LAR does not win out. (GB is #1, TB is #2)

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If DAL finishes 2-1 and beats Arizona:
I'm not going past the 2 seed the rest of the way because there are too many possibilities. I'm also not sure I've captured all the paths to the 2 seed here (and I may have made mistakes).

Paths to the 1 Seed:

1. GB goes 1-2 AND LAR does not win out AND TB does not win out.
2. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 2-1 AND the NFCW division winner finishes 12-5.
3. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out.

Paths to the 2 Seed:
1. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 2-1 AND the NFCW division winner finishes 12-5.
2. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out.
3. TB goes 3-0 AND GB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out.
4. TB goes 2-1 AND GB goes 0-3 AND the NFCW winner finishes 11-6 or 10-7.

If DAL loses only to Arizona:

Paths to the 1 Seed:

1. GB goes 1-2 AND ARI does not win out AND LAR does not win out AND TB does not win out.
3. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR wins the NFCW AND LAR does not win out.
4. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND ARI wins the NFCW AND ARI goes 1-2.

Paths to the 2 Seed:
1. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 2-1 AND the NFCW division winner finishes 12-5.
2. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR wins the NFCW AND LAR does not win out.
3. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND ARI wins the NFCW AND ARI goes 1-2.
4. TB goes 3-0 and GB goes 1-2 AND ARI does not win out AND LAR does not win out.
5. TB goes 3-0 and GB goes 0-3 AND LAR wins the NFCW AND LAR does not win out.
6. TB goes 3-0 and GB goes 0-3 AND ARI wins the NFCW AND ARI goes 1-2.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The bottom line is we need to take care of business and go 3-0 and let the chips fall where they may. Odds are we’re most likely to get the 3 seed. Why? I don’t expect GB or TB to lose again, and the Rams have a really tough schedule so I don’t expect them to win out. But, anything can happen as we saw yesterday.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The bottom line is we need to take care of business and go 3-0 and let the chips fall where they may. Odds are we’re most likely to get the 3 seed. Why? I don’t expect GB or TB to lose again, and the Rams have a really tough schedule so I don’t expect them to win out. But, anything can happen as we saw yesterday.

I want the 2 seed. Get the worst wild card team to face.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea I agree. Az needed to win yesterday and we would have gotten the 2 seed in this case.

Creeper

Reaction score
TB has the easiest schedule of anyone with Carolina, Jets and Carolina again.
GB has Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit
Arizona has Indianapolis, Dallas and Seattle
The Rams have Seattle, Minnesota, Baltimore and San Francisco. Their last 3 games are against teams fighting for a playoff spot.

I just want Dallas to win Sunday against Washington to take the division, then we can worry about seeding later.

Sydla

Reaction score
TB has the easiest schedule of anyone with Carolina, Jets and Carolina again.
GB has Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit
Arizona has Indianapolis, Dallas and Seattle
The Rams have Seattle, Minnesota, Baltimore and San Francisco. Their last 3 games are against teams fighting for a playoff spot.

I just want Dallas to win Sunday against Washington to take the division, then we can worry about seeding later.

In reality, assuming we win out, TB is irrelevant as long as another team finishes tied with us and the Bucs. Basically, the easiest route seems to be the Packers lose once more and we win out. Then we are the #1 seed.

I just can't see the Bucs losing again but it might not matter as long as the Packers lose just once more, not twice. If they lose twice, then we would need the Rams to win out, which seems unlikely.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
At they say .....just control what you can control, the rest will take care of itself (lol). Personally, I'd be just as happy with #2 seed.

Techsass

Reaction score
Playing more of our games at home is an advantage. They showed a Red Zone scoring stat that proved we do much better at AT&T.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If DAL finishes 2-1 and beats Arizona:
I'm not going past the 2 seed the rest of the way because there are too many possibilities. I'm also not sure I've captured all the paths to the 2 seed here (and I may have made mistakes).

Paths to the 1 Seed:

1. GB goes 1-2 AND LAR does not win out AND TB does not win out.
3. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out.

Paths to the 2 Seed:
2. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out.
3. TB goes 3-0 AND GB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR does not win out.
4. TB goes 2-1 AND GB goes 0-3 AND the NFCW winner finishes 11-6 or 10-7.

If DAL loses only to Arizona:

Paths to the 1 Seed:

1. GB goes 1-2 AND ARI does not win out AND LAR does not win out AND TB does not win out.
3. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR wins the NFCW AND LAR does not win out.
4. GB goes 0-3 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND ARI wins the NFCW AND ARI goes 1-2.

Paths to the 2 Seed:
2. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND LAR wins the NFCW AND LAR does not win out.
3. GB goes 2-1 or 3-0 AND TB goes 1-2 or 0-3 AND ARI wins the NFCW AND ARI goes 1-2.
4. TB goes 3-0 and GB goes 1-2 AND ARI does not win out AND LAR does not win out.
5. TB goes 3-0 and GB goes 0-3 AND LAR wins the NFCW AND LAR does not win out.
6. TB goes 3-0 and GB goes 0-3 AND ARI wins the NFCW AND ARI goes 1-2.
Thanks

If we lose to Cards then we are most likely ending up at 3 or 4 seed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's impossible with the 2 seed.
Not if Green Bay is 1 seed.

For example if we are 3 seed and win in 1st round we could go to 2 Seed Tampa in divisional round. Then Green Bay in championship.

But yea if we are 2 seed and Tampa 3 then they’d have to come to Arlington. But we’d still have to beat both Tampa and GB which to me is the much tougher road.