The division is not lost yet

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
No, you're self filled. I was talking about accumulation of playoff experience improving a team's ability to approach the playoffs productively. That is a real element to team chemistry. Three years now to the playoffs matters...as if your 'new math' included the course of advanced calculus as the beginner's level at the Air Force Academy....as if you understood metrics. You know, adding up...:popcorn:
I was talking to that Eagles fan who can’t count playoff wins

CCBoy

Reaction score
Do you think Philly doesn't see a few plays in that game where, if they make them, they win by 2 touchdowns? Every team has "if this" plays in every game.

You either win or you lose in the NFL. Dallas lost in Philadelphia.

There was a much easier way to be 8-2 - don't lay an egg in Arizona. That's the game that's hurting the Cowboys. There's no shame in losing at San Fran and Philly.
Christ, there are reasons in life and not all a win or not win quality in a developing season. The Cowboys lost in Arizona due to their offensive line being together or the first time in a year and a half. It had to grow at the professional level, first.

Dallas lost by five and KC lost by four...the Eagles trashed neither team.

For Dallas, both rhythm and momentum are growing steadily and at high levels...at least learn to watch. But too many here on site, prefer to be wise butts and insult a view instead. I'm NOT one of them!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Kool Aide and Vodka....Salud!
So glad to see you advance to vodka.
I recall you buying a case of Boones Farm wine, hoping to get the ugly girls to drink up and say "Ok, but not at Javalina Stadium parking lot."

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys fans are a funny bunch. The Eagles barely squeak out a win against the Chiefs in Week 12, and suddenly many think they're simply going to run the table??? The Eagles could have easily lost the KC game if it weren't for some bad turnovers by the Chiefs while they were in scoring position in the second half in some ugly weather. And yes, both were great plays by the Eagles defense, I give them credit.

Are the Eagles likely the best team in football right now? Yes, likely, but that's not by a wide margin. And again, it's only week 12. Check back in week 18....

...because there's still a LOT of football left to be played. The Eagles schedule over the next few weeks is going to be a challenge for them.
  • Bills @ Eagles (A measuring stick games for the Bills, so they'll be hungry, and a tad desperate)
  • Niners @ Eagles (These two could easily meet in the playoffs, and the Niners will come into Philly looking for revenge after that ugly playoff loss)
  • Eagles @ Cowboys (It's in Dallas, so this is the Cowboys chance to avenge an early season loss)
  • Eagles @ Seahawks (Seahawks will be in desperation, playoff-hope mode, and it's in Seattle, a tough place to play)
And then they get the Giants 2 out of the last 3 games to end the season, and the Cards, which all "sound" easy on paper. But for the Giants, there will be a bunch of players and coaches playing and coaching for their jobs, so I bet the Giants make the Eagles work in at least one of those final games. Same for the Cards. They'll be desperate to have a good showing to close the season, as players and coaches will be playing for their jobs as their offseason begins.

So yes, the Eagles are a solid football team, but they're not dominant (except for their unstoppable Tush Push). Jalen doesn't look all that great in stretches of most games. They get down a lot in the second half, but have consistently figured out how to come back and win. They're good, but they've also been fortunate. The Eagles are good at not beating themselves, which is worthy of applause by itself. But they did lose to the Jets so...

Thus, for the Cowboys, it's all in front of them. THEY have an even tougher schedule than the Eagles heading into December, but if they continue to get better, and stack some wins, they could put themselves in position to win the division or host a wildcard playoff game.

And if the Lions or Niners struggle a bit in December too (which could happen since neither of them look dominant either), the Cowboys could be jockeying for the 1 seed by season's end. Yes, it sounds crazy, but I believe a high playoff seed is still in play given the state of the best NFC teams. And it may come down to which of the top NFC Teams can remain healthiest. And for that Tush Push, I would bring in the absolute heaviest linemen and LBs and when Jalen surges forward, I'd have EVERY defensive linemen and LB land on Jalen's back and legs in a massive pileup of bodies. You keep stacking 1,000+ pounds on Jalen's and Kelce's body and something's bound to go awry. So I say pile on until the whistle stops, make them FEEL that Tush Push. ;)

So, really, this isn't about these other teams, it's about the Cowboys. Can they win some tough games coming up, get better, and stay healthy? And if they can, the next question is can they enter into the playoffs and go on a run, and if necessary, on the road?

We're going to find out. Let the rollercoaster ride continue...

:flagwave:
I'll keep this hand dealt and match bids...:starspin:

Good discussion, guy...talk more.

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
I am really aiming for the 5th seed at this point. The 5th seed will probably play the NFC south winner, which would be either NO, ATL, or TB. And if we win that game, and hope we have another wildcard team win so we avoid PHI or SF till the NFCCG.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Defenses:​

5) Dallas Cowboys​

The Dallas Cowboys’ defense is going through a period facing some poor offensive lines and inconsistent quarterback play. They’re incredibly opportunistic, and DB DaRon Bland is the catalyst for that in the secondary. His pick-six against the Carolina Panthers marked his fourth of the season, which puts him in a tie for the NFL record for a single season.

6) San Francisco 49ers​

San Francisco’s defense did it again, once again proving that if a team absolutely loads up on pass-rushing talent, anything can become possible defensively. Losing safety Talanoa Hufanga takes a playmaker off the field for them, but this unit is built from front to back.

As long as they keep pressuring opposing quarterbacks, they can clog passing concepts with seven secondary members.

21) Philadelphia Eagles​

The Philadelphia Eagles have a real problem in the middle of their defense, but that only exists at the second and third levels. Injuries and unique roster construction have made the safety and linebacker rooms unappetizing. Yet, the assets they have thrown on the defensive line, a long-standing tradition, continue to produce results.

Like the Packers’ defense this past week, the Eagles’ defensive performance against Kansas City had more to do with the Chiefs’ offensive ineptitude than it did their own ability.

However, CB Bradley Roby’s punch in the red zone likely won the game for Philadelphia, who likely would have struggled to climb back if Kansas City had scored a touchdown on that drive.

They say defense wins championships. However, when you read who has the best defense in the NFL as we progress through the regular season, you’ll understand why we should be skeptical of that old saying.

The NFL is an offensive league now. The rules committee has mostly legislated away the unnecessary violence from the game, but they have also made playing defensive back in the NFL impossible.

Defense isn’t sticky from year to year. Consistency comes and goes because defensive personnel changes so frequently. Still, opposing QB play is sometimes an even bigger catalyst for defensive performance. Coverage is king, but the nature of coverage makes it tricky to predict.

The pass rush is more consistent, which is why those players often make more money than their defensive-back counterparts. But the great defenses boast both. Because of the volatile nature of defensive play in the NFL, all we can do as we progress through each week of the regular season is look at the games that have passed to stack these units.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-defense-rankings/

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So glad to see you advance to vodka.
I recall you buying a case of Boones Farm wine, hoping to get the ugly girls to drink up and say "Ok, but not at Javalina Stadium parking lot."
Why not....what do you have against parking lots? They came in handy when I was in college...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Christ, there are reasons in life and not all a win or not win quality in a developing season. The Cowboys lost in Arizona due to their offensive line being together or the first time in a year and a half. It had to grow at the professional level, first.

Dallas lost by five and KC lost by four...the Eagles trashed neither team.

For Dallas, both rhythm and momentum are growing steadily and at high levels...at least learn to watch. But too many here on site, prefer to be wise butts and insult a view instead. I'm NOT one of them!
I'm not sure what the offensive line had to do with Arizona rushing for 222 yards and averaging over 7 yards a carry, but whatever.

The NFL is about wins and losses. It's not college football where style points are a thing.

Rhythm and momentum have been growing steadily against bad teams...at least know what you're watching.

To claim you're not a "wise butt" who doesn't insult views is kind of funny when that's exactly what you did here.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why not....what do you have against parking lots? They came in handy when I was in college...
Tell him to learn what a javelina is before he insults the parking lots...not a usual practice at the Stadium in Kingsville. Tell him to start with the term Border Bandit and how to toss a taco. When Eugene Upshaw kicks off to stand up and yell, "Field goal, Tuck!'

Vodka is usually the drink of choice by women who badly over drink...Jack in the Black will work. Myself, Don Padron and a salt shaker.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the offensive line had to do with Arizona rushing for 222 yards and averaging over 7 yards a carry, but whatever.

The NFL is about wins and losses. It's not college football where style points are a thing.

Rhythm and momentum have been growing steadily against bad teams...at least know what you're watching.

To claim you're not a "wise butt" who doesn't insult views is kind of funny when that's exactly what you did here.
It is called game momentum and how a game plays out. Put them on their heels and that game would have played out differently.

I put into view some significant points into a view. They were relevant additions as well as discussion. I directed a negative comment towards other posters focus...not yours. Team development is primary when going through a season. In case you never noticed with this type of response, the Cowboys are currently 7-3. That is with a fair cross section of NFL Teams played.

Against Philadelphia, Dallas lost by 5 and KC lost by 4...perhaps someone should clean up not high level of play or not on a top shelf level as well, now.

Get off your own wise remarks or just understand direction of talk before going off half cocked.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell him to learn what a javelina is before he insults the parking lots...not a usual practice at the Stadium in Kingsville. Tell him to start with the term Border Bandit and how to toss a taco. When Eugene Upshaw kicks off to stand up and yell, "Field goal, Tuck!'

Vodka is usually the drink of choice by women who badly over drink...Jack in the Black will work. Myself, Don Padron and a salt shaker.
I'm a Walker Black guy, myself..Salud!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Affecting game momentum...here's an unusual factor.

It’s hard to necessarily prove that the Cowboys offense struggled because of the turf, but the data does support such a theory. An inadequate playing surface could definitely make it harder for pass catchers to get open on their routes, which hasn’t been an issue for Dallas in recent weeks. The same goes for their ability to generate YAC, which was largely nonexistent this week.

In the end, it didn’t matter, as the Cowboys got enough offensive production to win by a comfortable margin. And they won’t have to worry about this going forward either, as the Cowboys play their next three games in the comfort of their own home. Hopefully, that means a return to the high-flying offense that McCarthy, Prescott, and the rest of this group have been putting on display lately.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ggles-one-reason-turf-bank-of-america-stadium

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Same noise, different year. Some of you like to pretend the past has no bearing on today, even though many of the same players are involved.

Have fun with that. I hope you're right, because I'm tired of watching the 21st century Cowboys come up short again and again.

But I'll believe these Cowboys are different when they show me they're different. No offense, but I don't need to hear it from any of you in November. I've heard it before.

So you can get mad at me, call me a "hater", whatever you need to do, but I'll believe this Cowboys team is different when they show me they're different.

If it's just regular season blowouts of bad teams, failing to win the division, beating an 8-9 team in the wild card round, then going home? I've seen that.

LittleD

Reaction score
Such an official...well, does Congress pass further aide to Ukraine or follow your example and talk support away because of expense...no matter if they were attacked by the Soviets.

Sorry, that was in contrast to football where one is encouraged to root the best for his chosen team. You have been no more than a negative voice in the wilderness as long as I have read your posts over the past ten years. I'm ready to go to war, thank you.
Geez, how many years now since Dallas fielded a decent team... I think that was the 1990's. I used to root for them every season but, that was long, long ago and far, far away.

LittleD

Reaction score
They've only played two games against teams that are currently contenders and they should have beat the Eagles. Except for Arizona where the defense was bad and there was no o-line the Cowboys destroyed every bad team on their schedule. That's what good teams do. Bad teams struggle against everyone.

I guarantee if Dallas beat Philly a couple weeks ago people would still be complaining about the 49ers loss. The Cowboys are coming off consecutive blowout wins yet some fans just refuse to allow themselves to be happy. That makes for a long season friends. Winning in the NFL is not easy. Enjoy the ride.
Yep, we can still beat up on the Giants and Jets. That's All Folks.

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
So much loser thinking in here and it needs to stop. Im not a "football" coach,...but I am another kind of "coach" in a way in a much different profession. Do you think our coaches are putting out the vibe to the team that the division is now lost and instead we should just shoot for second best? No,...they arent. Nor should they,...thats just ignorant and self defeating. All that kind of thinking does is assure that you are content to be a loser and always will be. EVERY DAMN DAY in this life you need to shoot for being the best version of yourself no matter what you are doing and regardless of your position in life.

It starts in the morning. If you must be up by 6 am get up by 5:30 instead,...be prepared. How do you tie your shoes? Put your pants on, dress yourself ? You present a WINNING attitude in EVERYTHING you do. Winning games doesnt start when you hit the field, hell,...it doesnt even start on the practice field,....it starts way before that. It starts the minute you open your eyes EVERY day of the week.

This division is far from lost. There is a long way to go and nothing is ever over until it is OVER.

Granted,...a fans piss poor attitude in no way effects the team, thank goodness. But it DOES effect YOU. Dont let it,...dont succumb,...to anything. Once you become accustomed to LOSING that is exactly what you will do and you will do just that in a whole lot of things that are a damned sight more important than some football game. STOP!

LittleD

Reaction score
Currently the combined winning percentage of the Cowboys remaining opponents is .602, the Lions .493, the Eagles .459. Philly and Dallas have 4 home games remaining, Detroit has three. Philly plays three teams with losing records, Dallas and Detroit, two. If Detroit ends up the no. 1 seed in the NFC it won’t be because of their “extremely easy schedule”. The Eagles have an easier schedule from here on out than Detroit.
I see both the Eagles and Lions at the top of the conference coming to a theater near you.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Geez, how many years now since Dallas fielded a decent team... I think that was the 1990's. I used to root for them every season but, that was long, long ago and far, far away.
Actually for three years this Cowboys group has entered the playoff competitive zone, for real.

Just don't quit watching and see if you don't gain some respect from this point on...they are on tract and momentum is a valid point now.

Dallas Defense
RankTeam2023Last 3Last 1HomeAway2022
5Dallas17.518.310.012.520.819.7

Dallas Offense
2Dallas30.235.033.040.023.726.8

+12.7

Philadelphia Defense
16Philadelphia21.223.717.024.818.819.8

Philadelphia Offense
5Philadelphia27.329.021.031.824.329.1