CFZ The Doomsday title must be earned

cristglo

Reaction score
I can’t tell you how cool it is to be talking about a potential Doomsday defense again. I’m not going to crown them with Doomsday name until they win at least a conference championship because the three previous Doomsdays all won conference and SB championships. So I’m tapping the brakes on giving them that name in October.

Some are already calling it “Doomsday III” BUT- It would actually be “Doomsday IV”. Here’s some history:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74- 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Bob Lily was the anchor along with Lee Roy Jordan, Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley.
  • Doomsday II- 1975-82- 3 NFC Championships, and a Lombardi- this was led by Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Hollywood Henderson.
  • Doomsday III- 1991-1996- 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by Charles Hailey, Russell Maryland, Robert Jones, Deion Sanders, and Darren Woodson.
So if this defense can join the previous 3 Doomsdays, it will be Doomsday IV. But we shouldn’t crown them that until they earn it in the playoffs.

Here’s to hoping in Feb, 2023 we can name them “DOOMSDAY IV”.

I have to agree. My mind keeps going back to last year and this offense. Through the first 6 games, we were almost unstoppable and everyone was talking about SB. Then after that 7 games, we did a Jimmy Hoffa and as of yet we still haven't found it. Not trying to be a pessimist but we've had many years of fading down the stretch. :(

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The previous Doomsday's had two things in common. They were stout against the run, priority 1 back then, and they all played in a run first NFL. They actually wanted to drive the game into the QB's hands.

Depending on the matchups in the playoffs, this could be Doomsday IV based on the pass rush.

Two more things about those previous Doomsday's, they earned that over time, not in 5 games. They faced the top O's and proved worthy and the other thing they had was depth. We can debate the best team of all time but the best and deepest trenches goes to that 92-95 bunch, they had backups on both sides of the line starting for other teams. The Steelers are close with the starters but the depth was the best ever.

What I think makes this D different from those others is that this one is really dependent on the health of one player and his effect on the opposing offense. In that regard, Parsons is very much like Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas. He is not there yet but he is on his way but he has to stay healthy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I can’t tell you how cool it is to be talking about a potential Doomsday defense again. I’m not going to crown them with Doomsday name until they win at least a conference championship because the three previous Doomsdays all won conference and SB championships. So I’m tapping the brakes on giving them that name in October.

Some are already calling it “Doomsday III” BUT- It would actually be “Doomsday IV”. Here’s some history:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74- 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Bob Lily was the anchor along with Lee Roy Jordan, Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley.
  • Doomsday II- 1975-82- 3 NFC Championships, and a Lombardi- this was led by Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Hollywood Henderson.
  • Doomsday III- 1991-1996- 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by Charles Hailey, Russell Maryland, Robert Jones, Deion Sanders, and Darren Woodson.
So if this defense can join the previous 3 Doomsdays, it will be Doomsday IV. But we shouldn’t crown them that until they earn it in the playoffs.

yes,

in the Playoffs is where you earn it, a little 5 game streak is too small sample size, weve seen bursts of this type of D but need it to travel all season and mostly shut down the better teams.. big test this week, Eagles, best OL and run game we'll face this year plus a mobile QB, our Achilles heel in the past. rival on the road Huge Test..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The previous Doomsday's had two things in common. They were stout against the run, priority 1 back then, and they all played in a run first NFL. They actually wanted to drive the game into the QB's hands.

Depending on the matchups in the playoffs, this could be Doomsday IV based on the pass rush.

Two more things about those previous Doomsday's, they earned that over time, not in 5 games. They faced the top O's and proved worthy and the other thing they had was depth. We can debate the best team of all time but the best and deepest trenches goes to that 92-95 bunch, they had backups on both sides of the line starting for other teams. The Steelers are close with the starters but the depth was the best ever.

What I think makes this D different from those others is that this one is really dependent on the health of one player and his effect on the opposing offense. In that regard, Parsons is very much like Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas. He is not there yet but he is on his way but he has to stay healthy.
Yep but unfortunately in Cap era depth isn’t a reality . Simply can’t stockpile talent or afford to have backups that in previous eras could often be starting for other teams .

Yes, it all revolves around Parsons. He is Jethro’s “ golden goose”. He fell right into our lap. The lucky lottery winner many fans have always said was all we needed . Some had hoped we might one day find that in a QB which it wasn’t in Romo or Dak although they did prop up an otherwise average to below average team.

This is different. This kid is a generational talent . And we must give Quinn some credit for placing Parsons in a position to take over games . Parsons presence can dictate the outcomes. The disruption and havoc cause total chaos taking QB and offenses completely out of their schemes .

Parsons opens up lanes for others around him which is elevating their performance as well. We’ve had some great talents in Cowboys history . I lost count how many Hall of Famers but Parsons could become the greatest of them all. Simply because of his IMPACT to the outcomes .

I’ve never been this excited this era. Parsons and this defense can take over games . It gives me chill bumps. I sit and gaze in disbelief we have something so special .

But yes , never has a players health been so critical to our success. We watched him Sunday hurting taking himself out until it was a crucial play and or 3rd down and he still came in and impacted the play.

Prescott must be licking his chops on what he’s seeing. Parsons can carry him and whoever is at QB further than this franchise has seen since the 90’s. Enjoy the ride Cowboy fans . Our Savior has arrived!!!

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score

For the younger Fans...in addition to following this 2022 team seemingly emerging to be legitimate championship contenders -YES it is still early - roughly 1/3 into the season....
take some time to review our stellar teams from the past that Bobhaze has meticulously referred to for comparison as the basis of his thread :bow: (if you haven't done so previously).
A few of us Codgers Cowboys Fans getting stirred up over what we're seeing....

Last edited: