The Draft > Free Agency

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stash, do we need a reason for optimism? Garrett was like a disease, eating away at us and that's over.

They hired a 13 year HC vet with some skins on the wall, what would be the reason to not be optimistic? Until proven otherwise, why can't we all be optimistic? Don't we want to be? If we are wrong, at least we had this time of optimism to be happy about it.

:hammer:

Let's enjoy it while we can!
:laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Nolan is my biggest question mark as well to be honest. I'm hopeful that the collective group brings the overall quality up.

But anything is better than Marinelli.

and there was an outstanding chance Marinelli would have remained here, if Garrett also would have remained here.

they just loved the old geezer, and refuse to see any different...and this includes fans, media, coaches - and even management..... . " wait until Marinelli gets a hold of him,... marinelli just flat knows how to get the best out of players .... marinelli knows how to work his magic, ...he works with smoke and mirrors. ... we're so fortunate to have a guy like Marinelli around, etc. etc. etc. "

quickccc

Reaction score
FA I want these Guys they are 2nd or 3rd tier FA:
DT - Andrew Billings & or Malik Collins
EDG - Shaq Lawson or Dante Fowler Jr
CB - Eli Apple
TE - ERIC EBRON

Resign our own:
QB - Dak Prescott
WR - Amari Cooper

CB - Anthony Brown

Draft:
17 - I want to trade down to 20's and take best available picking up 3rd and late round pick. and Take TOP guy on our board regardless of position rest of the draft we need top talent infusion

Eli Apple. LOL !

I sure hope you're a Eagle or Giants fans that is wanting CB Eli Apple, ... cux as a Cowboys fan i'd much rather re-sign our own than have Eli taking their places.

Every team goes after Eli, ..doesn't matter if he was a Giants or Saints player. . he's a bust and America's Most Wanted target anytime he's out there., Flag or beaten coverage guaranteed.
Have no idea why Saints decided to trade for him... and now they can see front hand that was a colossial mistake. :muttley:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Every spring during the big free agency period beginning in March, many of our fans will begin the annual scream for the FO to sign some big name unrestricted free agents. These are usually big name players with some accomplishments and big price tags. Some are in their prime. Some have their best days in the rear view mirror. Most give sticker shock and require longer commitments.

The best NFL front offices have a a good plan going into the offseason along with who to look at and who to avoid. Our FO IMO has done a pretty good job the last few years not throwing too much cash or commitment to the big name flashes in free agency.

Count me as one of the fans who is usually happier when we don’t spend a bunch cash in free agency. In fact, I’m a big believer in the philosophy of having lots of draft picks with a few key FAs who are not in the highest price range because they typically also want longer deals.

You can sign a few good free agents that can immediately help. But they are usually not the big names and usually are short term rentals.

Bottom line- the draft is where the heart of your team is built. There are a lot of talented young men on college campuses tonight who will be the future of the Dallas Cowboys more than a 28-30 year old vet looking for the biggest payday of their lives.

Yes....I know. We need a few FAs. Just don’t break the bank and expect them to save us. Our future rests primarily on the broad shoulders of Will McClay’s draft analysis. The Draft > FA.
While I believe drafting better is important to the long term success of a franchise. You cannot be competitive if you totally overlook free agency. Hence what has held this team back. Jerry and stephen aren't even around in the first week of free agency. They are literally on family vacation every year. Hence we don't sign anyone decent we spend a couple million on some k mart clearance bum that doesn't even make it to week 1 or even have an impact. The only free agent was Cobb in the past few years that I would consider a good signing in free agency.

cowboyec

Reaction score
they changed head-coaches but it doesnt mean they changed how they'll use f/a.
i dont mind bargin shopping....as long as they read the ingredients first.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
stash, do we need a reason for optimism? Garrett was like a disease, eating away at us and that's over.

They hired a 13 year HC vet with some skins on the wall, what would be the reason to not be optimistic? Until proven otherwise, why can't we all be optimistic? Don't we want to be? If we are wrong, at least we had this time of optimism to be happy about it.
Because the core of the disease is still here eating away at us.

It’s the culture and toxic atmosphere with the GM and VP that has stifled this franchise for 25 years regardless the coaches.

I’d be optimistic if Jerry and Stephen had been fired too. It’s not over.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I believe drafting better is important to the long term success of a franchise. You cannot be competitive if you totally overlook free agency. Hence what has held this team back. Jerry and stephen aren't even around in the first week of free agency. They are literally on family vacation every year. Hence we don't sign anyone decent we spend a couple million on some k mart clearance bum that doesn't even make it to week 1 or even have an impact. The only free agent was Cobb in the past few years that I would consider a good signing in free agency.
I agree. I’m just saying the draft is the foundation for success. Signing a few key FAis important too. But what is MORE important? The draft.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's hard to get over the hump by just strictly adding players through the draft.

When the only difference between the new year and previous year is some dumpster dives in Free Agency and Rookies then how much better can you expect to get?
That wasn’t what I said...I agree we need some good FAs. But which is more important? A good draft or good FA? It’s the draft.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That wasn’t what I said...I agree we need some good FAs. But which is more important? A good draft or good FA? It’s the draft.
Correct

The draft is the basis for building every great team. FA acquisitions can compliment or provide a pivotal or missing piece.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Getting better > Not getting better

Last year's draft netted Tony Pollard.

Last year's free agency netted Randall Cobb.

We have to be better at both, especially free agency.

Also, fans here have to stop acting as if it's an either/or situation. You don't have to sit out the draft because you were aggressive in free agency. For great Front Offices, the answer is both free agency and the draft.

Draft & FA
Keep your players - 4 starters on the KC defensive roster were former Cowboys.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Every spring during the big free agency period beginning in March, many of our fans will begin the annual scream for the FO to sign some big name unrestricted free agents. These are usually big name players with some accomplishments and big price tags. Some are in their prime. Some have their best days in the rear view mirror. Most give sticker shock and require longer commitments.

The best NFL front offices have a a good plan going into the offseason along with who to look at and who to avoid. Our FO IMO has done a pretty good job the last few years not throwing too much cash or commitment to the big name flashes in free agency.

Count me as one of the fans who is usually happier when we don’t spend a bunch cash in free agency. In fact, I’m a big believer in the philosophy of having lots of draft picks with a few key FAs who are not in the highest price range because they typically also want longer deals.

You can sign a few good free agents that can immediately help. But they are usually not the big names and usually are short term rentals.

Bottom line- the draft is where the heart of your team is built. There are a lot of talented young men on college campuses tonight who will be the future of the Dallas Cowboys more than a 28-30 year old vet looking for the biggest payday of their lives.

Yes....I know. We need a few FAs. Just don’t break the bank and expect them to save us. Our future rests primarily on the broad shoulders of Will McClay’s draft analysis. The Draft > FA.

:popcorn:

In the voice of Mickey Spagnola...."if free agents are so good....why are they available? Good teams find ways to keep good players.....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
50% of the league is on rookie contracts. So, yes, draft is still key to building a team.
You'll resign guys who prove worthy and then cherry pick a free agent here or there that provides a skillset you need IF you have the cap space to do so.

Remove street low wage free agents and you just aren't going to see much of the roster made up of these guys. and often when you do they are short term solutions; released before their big money yearly salaries kick in.

DAL needs to accumulate some draft picks. They have been light in total draft picks of late and because of this I could see them fall in round 1 to bolster more mid round picks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Keep your players - 4 starters on the KC defensive roster were former Cowboys.
And KC is kicking around how to release half that list ASAP to recoup cap space.
It's always going to require a balancing act.

If the league is stupid enough to allow you to draft a generational QB at 10 you will win a lot of games.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree you have to be successful at both and should look and prepare for both. But being good in the draft is more critical to success over time.

Maybe but you also have to acknowledge the reality of your team. We have an aging OL that has shown some breakdowns in terms of age and injury. At some point, you have to expand your pool of FAs to try to make a run in a 2-3 year window.

That doesn't mean just go dumb in FA and blow all your cash on vets but the reality is this team has probably missed a window or two over the last ten years because they approached FA stupidly.

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree. I’m just saying the draft is the foundation for success. Signing a few key FAis important too. But what is MORE important? The draft.

I too believe as well that the NFL draft should be the nucleus of your team. It really starts right there for sure.
... then you can add key pieces and players in trades and free agency to be that in between middle ground to further aid and help
your team that can be that extra lift and push to get us over the top and deeper into the playoffs.

I don't believe in using FA as a spending spree such as the Rams, Jaguars and NY Giants did in the ultimate one move effort to seize a run at the SB. Now those teams are paying the
price for that in one sense or another. And hog-ties a team for years to come.

The Cooper and Quinn trades aside, we just don't explore the FA market for those kind of middle ground players. And Cooper was a panic move that
worked for the best,
Quinn was one well planned especially since Gregory may be out of the picture for good given his latest indefinite suspension.

But in FA, all we have done under Stephen regime is, go after these bargain fillers, JAG types, I could understand it for special team parts but its' never meant to be
a difference maker.
I'll be willing to bet that we didn't even bother to go after CB Stephen Gilmore when he shockingly was allowed to go into UFA.. and straight to the Pats.
and now he's Defensive player of the Year and surpassed Jalen Ramsey as the premiere shutdown CB in the NFL.