The Draft > Free Agency

75boyz

Reaction score
Has this FO been good at either? All of this improved draft talk escapes me because I don't see it.

They've not been good in FA because of the same reason they've not been good in the draft, they're not good talent evaluators and in FA, not good at investment vs return.

Forget the 1st round, except for Yosemite, they've been picking players that fit where they take them.

In the draft, immediate contribution is not pressing. They took Gregory, Smith and Hill in the 2nd and they did nothing for the team in their rookie seasons and the jury is out on Hill.

What does it say about a GM so cavalier with the draft that he's frivolous with 2nd round picks? He's that "we like our guys" GM.

I don't know what the hell McClay does but the only reason any fell in love with him was because what was before him was week old fish.

This is a team that has gotten lucky with the QB back to back or this could be a disaster. They're OK in the draft, not in the top 10, and they're close to the bottom in FA. They're the same people that paid a CB2 CB1 money and tried to make him a 1. They're the same people that went into 2018 without a WR1.

The father and son are just alike, talent morons and neither has learned to do their job in 20 years. You only have hope in the son hoping he's not the father. Hell, he may be worse, he's never earned anything in his life.

My hope is this coaching staff can do more than what the others have done but the biggest joke of the year was this team is as talented any, it is not, it is not close.

And to think, even after everything you said here being spot on precise, that same Father-Son evaluator team is on the cusp of rewarding a game manager QB the most expensive deal in franchise history. Evaluation indeed.
Will make the Ratliffs, Spencer's, Carr and Crawford mistake contract deals a mere footnote in team history.

Jury still out on Zeke, Jaylon and Dlaw. Early returns not promising.

All told, like you alluded to in your post as well, Now that's some evaluation...lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nolan is suspect in my eyes. I think Edwards is decent. Tomsula is very solid. Collectively I think this new group will be fine. Rod and Company became embarrassing.

Nolan is my biggest question mark as well to be honest. I'm hopeful that the collective group brings the overall quality up.

But anything is better than Marinelli.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And to think, even after everything you said here being spot on precise, that same Father-Son evaluator team is on the cusp of rewarding a game manager QB the most expensive deal in franchise history. Evaluation indeed.
Will make the Ratliffs, Spencer's, Carr and Crawford mistake contract deals a mere footnote in team history.

Jury still out on Zeke, Jaylon and Dlaw. Early returns not promising.

All told, like you alluded to in your post as well, Now that's some evaluation...lol
Having the highest paid RB isn't a positive for any team. The two best run teams of 2019, BAL and SF, didn't pay their entire RB corps what the Cowboys are paying Elliott.

Lawrence? I can see that because having that guy is critical but he didn't live up to expectations and getting pissed at the fans only made it worse. And that stupid name for the DL was beyond ridiculous. Lawrence didn't do anything after signing that deal to endear himself to the fans. I do not think him a bright fellow.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Has this FO been good at either? All of this improved draft talk escapes me because I don't see it.

They've not been good in FA because of the same reason they've not been good in the draft, they're not good talent evaluators and in FA, not good at investment vs return.

Forget the 1st round, except for Yosemite, they've been picking players that fit where they take them.

In the draft, immediate contribution is not pressing. They took Gregory, Smith and Hill in the 2nd and they did nothing for the team in their rookie seasons and the jury is out on Hill.

What does it say about a GM so cavalier with the draft that he's frivolous with 2nd round picks? He's that "we like our guys" GM.

I don't know what the hell McClay does but the only reason any fell in love with him was because what was before him was week old fish.

This is a team that has gotten lucky with the QB back to back or this could be a disaster. They're OK in the draft, not in the top 10, and they're close to the bottom in FA. They're the same people that paid a CB2 CB1 money and tried to make him a 1. They're the same people that went into 2018 without a WR1.

The father and son are just alike, talent morons and neither has learned to do their job in 20 years. You only have hope in the son hoping he's not the father. Hell, he may be worse, he's never earned anything in his life.

My hope is this coaching staff can do more than what the others have done but the biggest joke of the year was this team is as talented any, it is not, it is not close.
Well done!!

But we still placed expectations or ultimatums on last season despite all of this we agree on but don’t want to this year?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nolan is my biggest question mark as well to be honest. I'm hopeful that the collective group brings the overall quality up.

It was familiarity with Nolan and his push for turnovers, which was also the way in GB, that got him on the staff and the lack of availability of great DC's. Where are they? I really don't see any great DC's in the NFL except in NE. Even Phillips is slave to the talent and the balance of power with talent is way on the O side. And do is Belichick.

Look at this draft and the blue chippers, how many on O and on the D side? Finding and keeping a good D together is an arduous task. Watch what happens to that Niner DL when they're all up. The supply of great D players does not meet the demand.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was familiarity with Nolan and his push for turnovers, which was also the way in GB, that got him on the staff and the lack of availability of great DC's. Where are they? I really don't see any great DC's in the NFL except in NE. Even Phillips is slave to the talent and the balance of power with talent is way on the O side. And do is Belichick.

The guy they hired for the "nebulous defensive coach" role is a better option than Nolan. Far better in fact. Go and take a look at where George Edwards had the Vikings D sitting at, consistently.

Look at this draft and the blue chippers, how many on O and on the D side? Finding and keeping a good D together is an arduous task. Watch what happens to that Niner DL when they're all up. The supply of great D players does not meet the demand.

Again, it seemed to for Minnesota. And New England finds guys every year. It's hard to "find guys" when you listen to an old man that the guy has clearly passed by.

If we hadn't, our defense looks a lot better with TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill, doesn't it?

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Every spring during the big free agency period beginning in March, many of our fans will begin the annual scream for the FO to sign some big name unrestricted free agents. These are usually big name players with some accomplishments and big price tags. Some are in their prime. Some have their best days in the rear view mirror. Most give sticker shock and require longer commitments.

The best NFL front offices have a a good plan going into the offseason along with who to look at and who to avoid. Our FO IMO has done a pretty good job the last few years not throwing too much cash or commitment to the big name flashes in free agency.

Count me as one of the fans who is usually happier when we don’t spend a bunch cash in free agency. In fact, I’m a big believer in the philosophy of having lots of draft picks with a few key FAs who are not in the highest price range because they typically also want longer deals.

You can sign a few good free agents that can immediately help. But they are usually not the big names and usually are short term rentals.

Bottom line- the draft is where the heart of your team is built. There are a lot of talented young men on college campuses tonight who will be the future of the Dallas Cowboys more than a 28-30 year old vet looking for the biggest payday of their lives.

Yes....I know. We need a few FAs. Just don’t break the bank and expect them to save us. Our future rests primarily on the broad shoulders of Will McClay’s draft analysis. The Draft > FA.

FA I want these Guys they are 2nd or 3rd tier FA:
DT - Andrew Billings & or Malik Collins
EDG - Shaq Lawson or Dante Fowler Jr
CB - Eli Apple
TE - ERIC EBRON

Resign our own:
QB - Dak Prescott
WR - Amari Cooper

CB - Anthony Brown

Draft:
17 - I want to trade down to 20's and take best available picking up 3rd and late round pick. and Take TOP guy on our board regardless of position rest of the draft we need top talent infusion

75boyz

Reaction score
Well done!!

But we still placed expectations or ultimatums on last season despite all of this we agree on but don’t want to this year?

Last year was the "contract friendly" expectation context...

Cooper and Jones this year can be compared to Zeke and DLaw on a needs priority basis but the elephant in the room remains...

What to do with QB...?
Will be the overall determinant/nexxus to team success or failure and is analogous to having "A Trickle Down Effect" as to everything else.

The best is yet to come, oh boy. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done!!

Nothing gives a much needed injection into expectations like a coaching change when 99% of the fandom was in favor of it. It's like the Lions' fans getting all jazzed when they finally fired Millen.

The one thing that does give me optimism is that I don't see a 500lb gorilla in the NFC, NFL for that matter. There are no great teams so a good team, which is what I think the Cowboys are, has a better chance and I do believe this team underachieved regarding the talent but it was as much the situation as coaching and the situation has changed.

I am not just being Pollyanna here, I have history on my side. The change to Parcells to Phillips to Garrett, all had positive results, at least in the first season. Mainly because the players aren't as comfortable and once again trying to impress the coaches.

The one thing that brings about positive change is that every coach on this team will have watched every piece of film on every player they're keeping and there's no fooling a real coach's eye. They know when a player is going through the motions.

I got to visit with Bob Lilly a couple of times and I asked him what he thought made Landry the kind of coach he was because to many on the outside, he was this enigma. He smiled and said "on the defense, we knew he would see every mistake we made in every game and point it out. There was no fooling him". According to his players, that is exactly what Belichick does and the reason he was such a Landry fan. He doesn't put any above Coach Landry.

A new coaching staff gets the luxury of examining everything wrong and not being guarded against it because it wasn't them. That's the player you were with that coach, you are now my player. They don't have any pet cats yet and they know with this D, they have to correct the mistakes first.

And to be candid, I am much more optimistic about the O because of that coach than the D with this coach. McC has a hell of a lot more talent to work with than Nolan does.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy they hired for the "nebulous defensive coach" role is a better option than Nolan. Far better in fact. Go and take a look at where George Edwards had the Vikings D sitting at, consistently.

Again, it seemed to for Minnesota. And New England finds guys every year. It's hard to "find guys" when you listen to an old man that the guy has clearly passed by.

If we hadn't, our defense looks a lot better with TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill, doesn't it?
Yes, would have been much better picks and Hill was picked on position need and the DC vouching for him not being a muttonhead.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, would have been much better picks and Hill was picked on position need and the DC vouching for him not being a muttonhead.

It's great that Marinelli is gone, but he's left a real mess behind him. He should be ashamed of what his 'Rushmen' have done and the shape he left this team in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, do not agree. He did his best. The blame rests on those that settled for his best.

Then "his best" clearly wasn't good enough then, was it?

You can blame Garrett sure, but that doesn't absolve Marinelli of his share of blame. And the fact that he led the Cowboys draft into the ditch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then "his best" clearly wasn't good enough then, was it?

You can blame Garrett sure, but that doesn't absolve Marinelli of his share of blame. And the fact that he led the Cowboys draft into the ditch.
I do not blame the employee, the employer is ultimately responsible. What qualified Marinelli as a DC? Because Kiffin liked him?

I could only blame Marinelli if he wasn't doing his best and I have no visible proof of that.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I will say this about Nolan...his time in NO under Allen had to help. I think Allen is one of the best and has done a great job building that defense. I will also say this new staff has a ton of experience. Jerry was getting into the bad habit of just plugging guys in that would not threaten Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not blame the employee, the employer is ultimately responsible. What qualified Marinelli as a DC? Because Kiffin liked him?

Because Garrett knew him, because Garrett knew Kiffin. That was Garrett's MO, who he knew. He knew people, not coaches. That's why he could never assemble a staff worth a damn.

I could only blame Marinelli if he wasn't doing his best and I have no visible proof of that.

Sounds like you're making excuses for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say this about Nolan...his time in NO under Allen had to help. I think Allen is one of the best and has done a great job building that defense.

I hope so.

I will also say this new staff has a ton of experience. Jerry was getting into the bad habit of just plugging guys in that would not threaten Garrett.

They're accomplished coaches, not just guys that McCarthy may have heard of. That's my reason for optimism.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope so.

They're accomplished coaches, not just guys that McCarthy may have heard of. That's my reason for optimism.
stash, do we need a reason for optimism? Garrett was like a disease, eating away at us and that's over.

They hired a 13 year HC vet with some skins on the wall, what would be the reason to not be optimistic? Until proven otherwise, why can't we all be optimistic? Don't we want to be? If we are wrong, at least we had this time of optimism to be happy about it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We drafted well in 2016 but have been slipping lately.
Last year was a bit sad, but at least part of that was due to using our 1st on a Cooper rental.