The Draft > Free Agency

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every spring during the big free agency period beginning in March, many of our fans will begin the annual scream for the FO to sign some big name unrestricted free agents. These are usually big name players with some accomplishments and big price tags. Some are in their prime. Some have their best days in the rear view mirror. Most give sticker shock and require longer commitments.

The best NFL front offices have a a good plan going into the offseason along with who to look at and who to avoid. Our FO IMO has done a pretty good job the last few years not throwing too much cash or commitment to the big name flashes in free agency.

Count me as one of the fans who is usually happier when we don’t spend a bunch cash in free agency. In fact, I’m a big believer in the philosophy of having lots of draft picks with a few key FAs who are not in the highest price range because they typically also want longer deals.

You can sign a few good free agents that can immediately help. But they are usually not the big names and usually are short term rentals.

Bottom line- the draft is where the heart of your team is built. There are a lot of talented young men on college campuses tonight who will be the future of the Dallas Cowboys more than a 28-30 year old vet looking for the biggest payday of their lives.

Yes....I know. We need a few FAs. Just don’t break the bank and expect them to save us. Our future rests primarily on the broad shoulders of Will McClay’s draft analysis. The Draft > FA.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Getting better > Not getting better

Last year's draft netted Tony Pollard.

Last year's free agency netted Randall Cobb.

We have to be better at both, especially free agency.

Also, fans here have to stop acting as if it's an either/or situation. You don't have to sit out the draft because you were aggressive in free agency. For great Front Offices, the answer is both free agency and the draft.

Draft & FA

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting better > Not getting better

Last year's draft netted Tony Pollard.

Last year's free agency netted Randall Cobb.

We have to be better at both, especially free agency.

Also, fans here have to stop acting as if it's an either/or situation. You don't have to sit out the draft because you were aggressive in free agency. For great Front Offices, the answer is both free agency and the draft.

Draft & FA
I agree you have to be successful at both and should look and prepare for both. But being good in the draft is more critical to success over time.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
being good in the draft is more critical to success over time.
With the current salary cap, absolutely.

I just vehemently disagree with the team's reluctance to sign premium free agents the past few years. We blew a golden opportunity to capitalize on Dak's very affordable 4-year rookie deal. Stephen brags about cap room as if it was some sort of challenge flag he can throw during a game to change the result.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every spring during the big free agency period beginning in March, many of our fans will begin the annual scream for the FO to sign some big name unrestricted free agents. These are usually big name players with some accomplishments and big price tags. Some are in their prime. Some have their best days in the rear view mirror. Most give sticker shock and require longer commitments.
Cowboys haven't done that in years. Thank goodness they learned their lesson!

I do wish the Cowboys were more aggressive in FA overall with regards to lesser paid FA's. There have been many budget FA's I wish the Cowboys pursued over these last few years that would have helped a lot.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I do wish the Cowboys were more aggressive in FA overall with regards to lesser paid FA's. There have been many budget FA's I wish the Cowboys pursued over these last few years that would have helped a lot.
It will be interesting to see what kind of sway McCarthy will have in both FA and the draft.

John813

Reaction score
The deals have to make sense but Stephen needs to stop enjoying the smells of his farts.

They seem to fall in love with certain players, who are quite up-gradable, and don't bother even signing competition for them.
Over the past few years there have been decent to good safeties flooded on the market but they never bothered with an one year deal for most. Except to sign washed up guys like George Iloka for min salary.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The best NFL front offices have a a good plan going into the offseason along with who to look at and who to avoid. Our FO IMO has done a pretty good job the last few years not throwing too much cash or commitment to the big name flashes in free agency.

Count me as one of the fans who is usually happier when we don’t spend a bunch cash in free agency. In fact, I’m a big believer in the philosophy of having lots of draft picks with a few key FAs who are not in the highest price range because they typically also want longer deals.

You can sign a few good free agents that can immediately help. But they are usually not the big names and usually are short term rentals.

Bottom line- the draft is where the heart of your team is built. There are a lot of talented young men on college campuses tonight who will be the future of the Dallas Cowboys more than a 28-30 year old vet looking for the biggest payday of their lives.

Yes....I know. We need a few FAs. Just don’t break the bank and expect them to save us. Our future rests primarily on the broad shoulders of Will McClay’s draft analysis. The Draft > FA.

Just about every recent NFC champ has loaded up in free agency. Rams, Eagles, and Niners did not sit back and let the draft come to them and just passively roll with whoever fell into their lap. They aggressively went after players to fill the voids in their rosters. The Cowboys avoidance of free agency isn't born out of wisdom as much as a general lack of familiarity with other NFL teams AND lack of organizational confidence in the evaluations of players they don't know.. Thats what happens when you don't have a real GM.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just about every recent NFC champ has loaded up in free agency. Rams, Eagles, and Niners did not sit back and let the draft to come to them and just passively roll with whoever fell into their lap. They aggressively went after players to fill the voids in their rosters. The Cowboys avoidance of free agency isn't born out of wisdom as much as a general lack of familiarity with other NFL teams AND lack of organizational confidence in the evaluations of players they don't know..
I’m not saying avoid FA- just saying we should never expect FA to be greater than the draft in a team’s ability to build for the future. I like getting some FAs- the Cobb signing last year for example was a good one. But we didn’t sign the big marquee FAs that too many fans salivate over.

Pick your spots wisely is all I’m saying and make the draft be your biggest haul of talent. Unfortunately, our draft last year appears to be a poor one. Having another draft like last year can really cripple a team. Because the draft is > FA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the current salary cap, absolutely.

I just vehemently disagree with the team's reluctance to sign premium free agents the past few years. We blew a golden opportunity to capitalize on Dak's very affordable 4-year rookie deal. Stephen brags about cap room as if it was some sort of challenge flag he can throw during a game to change the result.

I'm hoping that they get a bit more aggressive in free agency this year, based on the new coaching staff and what appears to be a 'win now' approach. Not reckless, but not sitting on their hands either.

Listening to Methuselah cost them their top picks in 2017 & 2019 and they need to use free agency to help to fix that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just about every recent NFC champ has loaded up in free agency. Rams, Eagles, and Niners did not sit back and let the draft come to them and just passively roll with whoever fell into their lap. They aggressively went after players to fill the voids in their rosters. The Cowboys avoidance of free agency isn't born out of wisdom as much as a general lack of familiarity with other NFL teams AND lack of organizational confidence in the evaluations of players they don't know.. Thats what happens when you don't have a real GM.

And another Garrett working in pro scouting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And some bums they've continued to waste money on for years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not saying avoid FA- just saying we should never expect FA to be greater than the draft in a team’s ability to build for the future. I like getting some FAs- the Cobb signing last year for example was a good one. But we didn’t sign the big marquee FAs that too many fans salivate over.

Pick your spots wisely is all I’m saying and make the draft be your biggest haul of talent. Unfortunately, our draft last year appears to be a poor one. Having another draft like last year can really cripple a team. Because the draft is > FA.

I think you're trying to argue a point that nobody would argue.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This team hasn't helped itself very much at all in free agency preferring to shop in the discount isle. Thats great if you have a solid roster and are coming off a successful season. This defense has more holes than can possibly be filled in the draft.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team hasn't helped itself very much at all in free agency preferring to shop in the discount isle. Thats great if you have a solid roster and are coming off a successful season. This defense has more holes than can possibly be filled in the draft.
And they’ve too often made positions like DT and S filled by cheap FAs rather than premium draft picks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Properly identifying the positions which need addressing in draft and FA is critical in order to formulate a game plan in offseason along with inking the outstanding contract negotiations which often can determine the positions of need.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Besides, we all know what going to happen. The Cowboys will stumble into free agency still having no idea where Dak's contract is going to end up or how much to pay Amari Cooper. Te team will continue to be managed by crisis rather than strategy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have specialized in “cheap dates” in free agency more than diamonds in the rough.

Even the players they have brought in haven't been very good.

Everybody remember Nolan Carroll? Cedric Thornton? Stephen Paea?

Yeah, if those are the recommendations I'm getting from my "football guys", I can see why the Joneses go on vacation instead!