The excited fan vs. the realistic fan

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't go so far as to just get the opinion of fans who are either realistic or excited. It limits the flavors in between and gets to be a forced choice selection of sorts. I am usually excited about the season in general no matter what the previous year's outcome, with the exception of the seasons after both Landry's firing and Johnson's departure. Hope springs eternal. :thumbup:

RoboQB

Reaction score
Just about the same time, last year, there were plenty of keyboard warriors loosely
disguised as "realists" predicting a 6-10 season. The only thing real, right now
is that nobody really knows.

Now, as a fan, the realistic expectation (key word) is for them to get back to the
divisional round and win it this time. And, if they do not meet that expectation,
a fan can decide to stay or go when the next season arrives.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I consider meself a realist.
Yet I am thinking 10-4 but falling on our faces when we meet the likes of the
Rams, Saints, Egirls or Vikes in the second round of thee playoffs.
See? Realists, too, can get excited, see progress, yet know we are 4 or so players away from being true contenders.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See? Realists, too, can get excited, see progress, yet know we are 4 or so players away from being true contenders.
While I can no longer frequently preview a season with optimism like I did in year's past with Landry and Johnson, (and eventually, Parcells,) I do like to think that some other situations might improve, such as our woeful defensive efforts against the Rams, not that our offense didn't play a part in that wet blanket of a game. For references to how teams can come up short after looking regal, look only to last year's SB snoozefest. In short, there is always some X factor to help or hinder a season. I always hope they do well. Go Cowboys!!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll wait till the draft and preseason to be over before making my predictions. I said 9-7 last year, I think.

cern

Reaction score
Can't you convince them to come in out of the rain? Then you can save bullets and club them or put little pillows over their faces and smother them.
Shotguns only. Went bass fishing instead. They're still hitting topwater lures.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Shotguns only. Went bass fishing instead. They're still hitting topwater lures.
Mate, have you considered a bait stand? Imagine the Boys scuttlebutt you could hear there.
Thanks for the tip! Here they is mid water and sluggish. Bass are liking the synthetic feathers and midget breaks, bloke.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan going on 5 decades I've come to the conclusion that this fan base is mostly delusional.

As long as Jerry/Stephen run the show be happy with division titles, because they haven't been able to put together a team capable of anything more in over 20 years. The Switzer SB win was with Jimmy's leftovers. Since then, nothing. Get used to it.

Fire Garrett! I'm okay with that. I'm just not expecting his replacement to do anything more than the 4 guys hired prior to him.

cern

Reaction score
Mate, have you considered a bait stand? Imagine the Boys scuttlebutt you could hear there.
Thanks for the tip! Here they is mid water and sluggish. Bass are liking the synthetic feathers and midget breaks, bloke.
I tie my own for fly fishing. called tapp's bug. made of spun deer hair. works like a hula popper.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I tie my own for fly fishing. called tapp's bug. made of spun deer hair. works like a hula popper.

I will take your word for that, old fisherman and the sea or lake or loch.
Oh, the things I say!

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
:thumbup:
Step right up folks and get yerself a piece of the action. What will it be? Well, we now have three choices!

:facepalm: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :cool: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:dance:
Right in the middle, lad!
Good on you, midfielder and, in intervening years, a kings court attendant.
Go forth, good fellow!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I think we are two DT's and a Safety away from being a true competitor. While Dak is not the best QB in the league I think we are going to have to win with him and if you put enough talent around him, we can.

If you put enough talent around me i can win you a SB too. And i demand less money then Dak.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a Cowboys fan going on 5 decades I've come to the conclusion that this fan base is mostly delusional.

As long as Jerry/Stephen run the show be happy with division titles, because they haven't been able to put together a team capable of anything more in over 20 years. The Switzer SB win was with Jimmy's leftovers. Since then, nothing. Get used to it.

Fire Garrett! I'm okay with that. I'm just not expecting his replacement to do anything more than the 4 guys hired prior to him.
Yep, the futility of the past seasons does take it's toll on expectations but that doesn't put a damper on my anticipation because I am not a SB or bust fan.

As long as the business model is success regardless of management, few things will change as far as pressure to win it all. I am sure they want to win it all but are not willing to make the moves to bring that about.

However, I must say that a team coming back from a 3-5 hole to win the division and a playoff game is a hell of a lot more than fans of 24 other teams got. I feel too many focus on that last game of the season as their season. Many lament over the fact the team can't get past the Divisional round but only 8 teams made it that far. Anyone here think this team would be playing a 17th or 18th game after 8?

Big_D

Reaction score

This is a very good roster and they drafted well. Coaching blows, game day management sucks, clock management etc and losing playoff games has nothing to do with the front office at that point. I'm no fan of Jerry or Stephen, but this is a far cry from the 2001 mess and how that team operated. This current roster is setup to win and it's time for a coach who can actually do that. Comparing things to Gailey and Campo or Parcells and Phillips seems ridiculous. Those teams were a horrible mess. This team on the other hand can compete, but unfortunately they will be wasted.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I just don't get how you don't think that Dak is a franchise QB. All he does is win. And orchestrate last minute drives to win. He isn't a standard QB as we know them but he gets the job done. He has strengths and weapons the standard QB doesn't have. Devise a gameplan to take advantage of them. And he is a leader and a genuinely good person. We finally have a QB that is easy to root for and everyone wants to ride him out of town. I don't get it
"All he does is win."
So did Danny White and Romo.

JBond

Reaction score
There comes a great barker, Jerry, who is perpetually expecting a Super Bowl. I love Jerry, but he is lost in mediocrity.
Some of you, too.
Blokes, goons, scholars, oafs ... You have every right to be optimistic. Yet
We are, realistically, a DT, a safety and a QB away from the Super Bowl.

Can you, assorted ruffians, offer honest views about your expectations in 2019??
Will ya?

10-6
1 and out in the playoffs.
Repeat in 2020.

I expect more of the same. 23+ years of mediocrity. It's ok. I'm patient. I waited 30 years between championships for my beloved Kansas City Royals.