The expiration date on a HC’s respect

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’ll get to see how it finishes out. But the first sign of trouble should’ve been when Garrett inherited the most prolific passer in team history and a generationally gifted pass rusher and could do nothing with them.
I wouldn’t agree with that assessment of our talent. And Jerry took the blame for not surrounding them with more talent. Garrett begin so when he took over but by then Romo was beat up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A guy that shoudnt have been OC, should never had been a HC and has no business in the NFL has somehow convinced Jerry that he was the perfect guy for both. And through 13 up and down, mistake laden years of Garrett bumbling both jobs he has somehow remained here and is line for a brand new contract at 3-3 with 3 horrible losses in this new losing streak.

It really is unreal what he has done. I give the guy a lot of credit. One of the best fraudsters I have ever seen.
It’s all to Jerry’s credit . It’s what he’s wanted. He’s defended him at every turn.

Who names a guy the “ future of the Dallas Cowboys” before he names a HC in the most unusual unprecedented fashion in NFL history.

If you truly analyze the actions under Jerry only then can you begin to fully understand what drives his passion.

CoachD

Reaction score
It's going to be tough for me to pick a winner this week because both teams suck but I can predict what kind of game it will be, a bunch of penalties and mistakes by both teams with at least one turnover each but most likely more than one. Bottom line, it will all come down to who makes the last stupid mistake!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s all to Jerry’s credit . It’s what he’s wanted. He’s defended him at every turn.

And to think that jerry has really turned around the drafts and his FA spending and management of the cap. But he still has ONE fatal flaw that ruins it all. His affinity for dope puppets as HC's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's been the fall back, even for the ones that don't like Garrett? They play hard for him. But is that accurate?

If you are a NFL football player, there is film on every play you've been in on and unless you don't care about your career any longer, you know you are on stage. They play for that paycheck.

I do not think there is one player on that team that doesn't know who they play for and it isn't Garrett. They say all the right things because they know that's expected.

There is a possible reason why they're no longer in his camp but I do find it hard to believe. If he has intervened with Moore, a favorite of several of the players including Prescott, Elliott and Lee, and cut his legs off with the play calling and the result is this flashback offense, that could cause some discourse in the locker room. Add another element to this. He and Booger brought back Witten and if he's earned the right to have that many plays that's one thing but what if it's just been given to him as a reward and to help him erase his failure?

Once we get past the money and the fame, I do believe players want to do their best and they want to win but they've got to feel that fire burns in their HC and position coaches as well and I wonder if they sense that is not present in this HC. The definition of coaching is putting a player in the best possible position to be successful and that applies to the team as well.

I don't know if he's lost the team or is in the process of losing it but I have never seen such a blank and stunned look on Garrett's face as I did after the Jets game. No team can have their HC with that body language and the look of the lost on their face and command their respect. They'll continue to play hard but when it comes down to the 4Q and they're backed into a corner, that's when it will show up.

There is a very simple saying that I've used for decades that applies perfectly to this situation. "To achieve, you must first believe". I am not sure how many still believe that he can lead them out of where they are right now. They turned it last season but this team doesn't look like that one and in fairness, not many coaches can survive losing the starters he's lost on offense and injuries either pick a team up or they all fall. We've seen that movie before.

CoachD

Reaction score
I see the Cowboys having a chance to win or lose the game on a 40 yard field goal attempt by Brett Maher. It all comes down to you Brett if you make it we win and your still a Cowboy, miss it we lose and you can clean out your locker!

johneric8

Reaction score
It seems to me- at least to my eyes watching the Cowboys-Jets debacle on TV last Sunday- that Jason Garrett is losing or has lost the respect of his players. Unless you have had consistent success, most coaches have an expiration date in the locker room. And it usually takes less than 9 years.

And there’s a simple explanation why: After nearly 9 years as head coach, it’s discouraging to these players to continue to work for a guy that’s not inspiring, not getting better, and essentially has very little power. They already know it isn’t going to happen with Garrett. Even shorter answer: It’s discouraging to play for a guy who’s simply this powerless and passionless.

When I saw the comments made by eaglets HC Doug Pederson essentially guaranteeing a victory Sunday night in Dallas and compared that to Garrett’s weak response, (“I hope we win”) it’s no secret why Garrett may be losing this locker room. I would rather play for a HC who takes public risks and shows confidence in his players than to hear some milk-toast drivel about “having a good day” as a part of “the process”.

When you haven’t won much for two decades plus, having a HC who keeps doing the same things and expecting different results, it has to be mind-numbing for these players.

The only way Garrett could somehow regain the respect of these players who are risking their long term health every week, would be to start acting like he’s something he’s not. A great leader.

Jerry Is closer to 80 than 70. How many seasons is he going to throw away on a guy who doesn’t have what it takes to win?

I like your post bob.. 9 years in today's NFL is a ridiculous amount of time for a coach who hasn't done a damn thing... At this point it's just flat out laughable to have to watch this as a fan, and the more it goes on the more we're just becoming numb to it all. Jerry Jones with his latest responses on Garrett has really made me as a fan frustrated, it would be better if he just didn't say anything at all...

After last years collapse of coaching and strategy against a very beatable Rams team I thought Garrett should have been shown the door but instead like a cat with 9 lives (no pun intended) he is given another chance with a team that has already figured him out for the lame duck he is. This is so dysfunctional at this point my entertainment is not coming from watching my favorite team but from watching the clown show soap opera.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I think it s time that most fans faced the truth about jones cowboys they are what they are a middling franchise that is a family run business that simply cares more about money than winning this team and coaching staff are a train wreck put out the fire call in the dogs its a over

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And to think that jerry has really turned around the drafts and his FA spending and management of the cap. But he still has ONE fatal flaw that ruins it all. His affinity for dope puppets as HC's.
Not only that but unwilling to provide them the scope to carry out their job without undermining their control and discipline over the team which we even saw with Bill.

And we still are making some key poor decisions in draft like our last two top picks on DL. Which leaves us a gaping hole up the middle. And risk at DE which left a void after Gregory suspension.

The need or feeling to sign key talents while letting others go. We shouldn’t be as dependent on a RB as we feel we are.

Most of all Jerry wearing all hats is all too often a conflict of interest as he weighs promoting his product which can ultimately deter operations. It’s like the Director of Sales also running operations. There needs to be accountability and there isn’t.

Jerry always over hypes and promotes his product or brand and then when it under performs he has to go into Damage Control looking for scapegoats and sacrificial lambs to pacify everyone who believed and followed his hype. It’s a vicious cycle he’s created all to gain a buck and keep him front and center.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I wouldn’t agree with that assessment of our talent. And Jerry took the blame for not surrounding them with more talent. Garrett begin so when he took over but by then Romo was beat up.

Which part was wrong? Romo being the most prolific passer in team history or Ware being generationally talented?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What's been the fall back, even for the ones that don't like Garrett? They play hard for him. But is that accurate?

If you are a NFL football player, there is film on every play you've been in on and unless you don't care about your career any longer, you know you are on stage. They play for that paycheck.

I do not think there is one player on that team that doesn't know who they play for and it isn't Garrett. They say all the right things because they know that's expected.

There is a possible reason why they're no longer in his camp but I do find it hard to believe. If he has intervened with Moore, a favorite of several of the players including Prescott, Elliott and Lee, and cut his legs off with the play calling and the result is this flashback offense, that could cause some discourse in the locker room. Add another element to this. He and Booger brought back Witten and if he's earned the right to have that many plays that's one thing but what if it's just been given to him as a reward and to help him erase his failure?

Once we get past the money and the fame, I do believe players want to do their best and they want to win but they've got to feel that fire burns in their HC and position coaches as well and I wonder if they sense that is not present in this HC. The definition of coaching is putting a player in the best possible position to be successful and that applies to the team as well.

I don't know if he's lost the team or is in the process of losing it but I have never seen such a blank and stunned look on Garrett's face as I did after the Jets game. No team can have their HC with that body language and the look of the lost on their face and command their respect. They'll continue to play hard but when it comes down to the 4Q and they're backed into a corner, that's when it will show up.

There is a very simple saying that I've used for decades that applies perfectly to this situation. "To achieve, you must first believe". I am not sure how many still believe that he can lead them out of where they are right now. They turned it last season but this team doesn't look like that one and in fairness, not many coaches can survive losing the starters he's lost on offense and injuries either pick a team up or they all fall. We've seen that movie before.
Yea, I was looking to see if they’d quit on him but the 2nd half push dismissed that notion IMO.

As they were driving on final drive I told everyone we’d score and miss the 2 point conversion. Unfortunately I still believe we’re doomed or jinxed with Jerry. Whether it was Dez catch, etc. it’s just not meant to be.

I have come to terms with it and have adjusted my expectations. I’ve felt for years Jason has been a positive influence on Jerry’s dysfunction. But in the back of my mind knew it probably wouldn’t end well as it hasn’t with anyone since Jimmy left.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Jerry's just hoping Garret can somehow get lucky enough to win it all one year. Then he'll be proven right. Problem is it doesn't look like its gonna happen. Every week that goes on Jerry looks dumber.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry's just hoping Garret can somehow get lucky enough to win it all one year. Then he'll be proven right. Problem is it doesn't look like its gonna happen. Every week that goes on Jerry looks dumber.
That’s what I’ve always thought. All Garrett needs is one championship appearance for most everyone to get on board.

As much as I’ve supported Garrett I’ve suspected it would end similar to every HC in Jerry era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s also the high rated passer in team history and usually ranked highly relative to his contemporaries. If you couldn’t consistently with Romo at QB, you probably can’t win consistently with a lot of QBs.
I’m not going to rehash Romo’s career. He was a good enough QB to win with if we had a better team around him consistently.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I’m not going to rehash Romo’s career. He was a good enough QB to win with if we had a better team around him consistently.

Unfortunately, this is an era when you can only afford so much talent. That’s why rah rah coaches have limited success nowadays. Garrett is pretty much a rah rah coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is an era when you can only afford so much talent. That’s why rah rah coaches have limited success nowadays. Garrett is pretty much a rah rah coach.
I’d agree with Cap era assessment but the problem is when these greater QB did have the supporting cast around them they took their team deeper or all the way.

IMO Romo had a good enough team probably only twice when healthy to go further . 2007 and 2014. But we missed both opportunities.Unfortunately didn’t have more opportunities. And with Dak, he’s had 2 opportunities to advance further and missed both of them.

It’s all about making the most of your opportunities because you never know if you’ll get back again. Most of great ones have their best games on the biggest stages.