The expiration date on a HC’s respect

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Campo inherited a team in salary cap hell with no talent & no QB. Garrett has never had the lack of talent excuse. I have always said Campo could do as well as Garrett if he had similar talent. It is not hard to be mediocre.

One of my unpopular opinions is that, if the Cowboys had retained Tony Banks in 2001, they beat TB in the season opener, get to nine wins, and make the playoffs. I imagine Campo could’ve cranked out one playoff season with Romo.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He couldn’t have really said “I hope we win” in response to Peterson!!?!?! Wt*???

Man, I knew he was a **ssy, but didn’t realize it was this bad.

(I’m lying. I knew)

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I hate to change horses in midstream but change is needed. Dallas needs to hire an interim coach during the bye week. It just isn't going to get any better with Garrett as head coach.
Even if we win

Please. Please can we move on. Please.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You're funny. You know that? When people were supporting Garrett, you were bashing him. When people bash him, you support him. You're contrary by nature.

Yeah, we know Garrett is a puppet and things aren't likely to change while Jerry is alive....because the root cause will always be there. Jerry is the problem. However, that doesn't mean that Garrett is a good coach. A GOOD coach will stand up to Jerry regardless of the consequences. A GOOD coach would make on-field adjustments when things aren't working. Garrett refuses to do that. He keeps with the same modus operandi no matter the cost. "Beat your man" is not viable in today's NFL. It's antiquated. It certainly helps, but scheming is needed because not everyone is going to be a pro bowl caliber player that plays mistake free every game. It was only viable pre-salary cap.

You see the O-line struggling, but you don't adjust the TE's to help with blocking.... there's a problem....and it's been a problem for a long time....Garrett's philosophy.

Yes, he's hamstrung in ways by Jerry. But the things he COULD be doing he isn't doing. The players ignoring him as they walked by him was telling. He's losing this team. It's time.
Gregg is afraid Jerry will actually correct a problem and do the right thing. That's why he supports Garrett now.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Oh look. Another Garrett bashing thread. The Lynch Mob marches on.
lynch+mob.jpg.cf.jpg
Riots and mobs were key to changing the world by helping the French Revolution get started.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I've not really had a lot of respect for this franchise n awhile. Love? Still there. But the devotion to mediocrity was hard to stomach. I watch on Sundays even with a touch of guarded hope. 3-0 was good, but history said don't get used to it.

So nothing has really been a surprise since then. Except for the jets game. That was inexcusable.

Til someone else is driving, we are not going anywhere. So I'll sit here and stare at the flowers til something better comes along fr us.

Agreed. Rock music Does matter!

CB61

Reaction score
It seems to me- at least to my eyes watching the Cowboys-Jets debacle on TV last Sunday- that Jason Garrett is losing or has lost the respect of his players. Unless you have had consistent success, most coaches have an expiration date in the locker room. And it usually takes less than 9 years.

And there’s a simple explanation why: After nearly 9 years as head coach, it’s discouraging to these players to continue to work for a guy that’s not inspiring, not getting better, and essentially has very little power. They already know it isn’t going to happen with Garrett. Even shorter answer: It’s discouraging to play for a guy who’s simply this powerless and passionless.

When I saw the comments made by eaglets HC Doug Pederson essentially guaranteeing a victory Sunday night in Dallas and compared that to Garrett’s weak response, (“I hope we win”) it’s no secret why Garrett may be losing this locker room. I would rather play for a HC who takes public risks and shows confidence in his players than to hear some milk-toast drivel about “having a good day” as a part of “the process”.

When you haven’t won much for two decades plus, having a HC who keeps doing the same things and expecting different results, it has to be mind-numbing for these players.

The only way Garrett could somehow regain the respect of these players who are risking their long term health every week, would be to start acting like he’s something he’s not. A great leader.

Jerry Is closer to 80 than 70. How many seasons is he going to throw away on a guy who doesn’t have what it takes to win?
I think the players respect for him left a long time ago

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Riots and mobs were key to changing the world by helping the French Revolution get started.
Organized marches are well documented methods to bring attention to issues demanding change and progress. Lynch Mobs are not of the same nature with more individual harm and personal intent.

Last edited:

Pokeness

Reaction score
I agree with that. he doesn't seem to have a role as a field general. More of an observer on the sidelines. It seems more this year than ever.
But he has a lot of communications devices on his belt so he can relay orders from the owner's box to the coaches calling plays.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gregg is afraid Jerry will actually correct a problem and do the right thing. That's why he supports Garrett now.
I’d give my left nut up for Jerry to finally do the right thing and step away from football operations.

And I’ve always supported Garrett as long as we’re going to be stuck with Puppets under Jerry’s ways.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I’d give my left nut up for Jerry to finally do the right thing and step away from football operations.

And I’ve always supported Garrett as long as we’re going to be stuck with Puppets under Jerry’s ways.
A lot of us on here would 100% agree Blu, but doesn't it speak VOLUMES of the ineptitude and total lack of a man sack about Clapper, then anything we can put on JJ? I mean, seriously, if JJ couldn't find a single coach who would willingly place his marbles in the bag hanging outside jeruhs office before entering then he may just realize how much of an egotistical idiot he truly is?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A lot of us on here would 100% agree Blu, but doesn't it speak VOLUMES of the ineptitude and total lack of a man sack about Clapper, then anything we can put on JJ? I mean, seriously, if JJ couldn't find a single coach who would willingly place his marbles in the bag hanging outside jeruhs office before entering then he may just realize how much of an egotistical idiot he truly is?
I think he knows and doesn’t care.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Respect for a HC begins at a more base point than that, it begins with having respect for the man. There is not a player, nor one that has ever played for that team since Garrett joined them, that is not aware of Garrett and how he fits into the Jones family. They might as well have a family member coaching. Do you think the fans are the only ones that think there might be a shred of truth that he didn't help his former HC when he needed him? Let him fall so he could rise? There is enough evidence to consider that, especially when you consider the team post Phillips. And since when would that not be acceptable in business? That happens every minute of every day.

However, respect for him as a man or a HC isn't critical to success, self respect of the player is. Self respect doesn't look to others for motivation or blame. Self respect demands that you do your best, give your best because there's only one person that know the absolute truth. Self respects demands that you play your hardest for your team, not the HC.

The biggest lie these players tell is that they don't pay attention to what the analysts say on radio and TV. Total BS, human beings are not capable of not paying attention to anything being said or written about them and with these players all over social media, you can bet the farm they all are aware of what's being said about this HC and this team because they know they are topic #1 all the time.

The anti Garrett talk has never been at this level before and the sheer amount of it can weigh the players down. I do wonder how many of them would like a new HC, if for no other reason it's just not Garrett. His answer to everything is a cliché, even with them in the meetings. If you watched All or Nothing, that was my takeaway, he's not just using those in the media, that's how he really talks. Is the guy really a football coach or is he portraying one? The reason Prescott thinks he's so consistent is that he's acting, he's playing the part as he sees it being played.

The most interesting part of "Any Given Sunday" to me is when Tony comes clean with his players, he's no longer speaking in coachspeak but from his heart, from within himself. I wonder if Garrett is capable of that, is that within him? They used to refer to Tom Landry as "Plastic Man" but people who knew him knew him differently. Garrett is for more "Plastic Man" to me than Tom ever was because I, at least, thought that was real about Tom. Garrett grew up in a football family, was expected to be in the football world and even as a player, was expected to be a football coach. It was preordained, predetermined, "Jason, it is your destiny" and I don't even know if the man even wants to be what he is. In my career in radio, I encountered many people that went into the family business because that was expected, that was their destiny and many were miserable. That was not what they wanted but some can never stop trying to please their parents.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
HOO YA... dang sure can't argue that fact !!!!
He’s already admitted he’d of fired himself. That’s an acknowledgement.

He’s determined to see this through proving he’s a football guy without a great HC who’d receive more credit.

There’s only one way to hurt Jerry. In the back pocket. If you’re not prepared to take that on , wasting energy.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
He’s already admitted he’d of fired himself. That’s an acknowledgement.

He’s determined to see this through proving he’s a football guy without a great HC who’d receive more credit.

There’s only one way to hurt Jerry. In the back pocket. If you’re not prepared to take that on , wasting energy.
I stopped buying ANY of his crap years ago, pretty much around the same time he let Jimmy walk out...

DenCWBY

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if he's lost it or not.

He's been here over a decade and has no playoff success. It's not going to just magically come all of a sudden.

What we're seeing now is typical Garrett.

I expect the team to rally back and for Jerry and the homers to have something to point to as to why Garrett should remain the coach but once they make the playoffs we'll get absolutely pants'd by another teams superior coaching staff.
:hammer::hammer: