The Fan reporting the odds of getting E. Thomas went up

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wonder is it in the Cowboys best interest to use whatever resources they plan on trading to get Earl Thomas and just try and trade up for Derwin James? Wouldn't that be a better investment? We have a young team...a very young secondary.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It makes sense if you’ve got a hole at S and you’ve got Richard that you’d want Thomas if he’s available.

A 2 and a 4 is too expensive for me. I’d do a 3 and a 4 though.

We need to hear the Bowman rumors heat up again if we’re going to do it, too. Too many holes for the draft otherwise.
I don't know I think they can fix these holes in the draft if they hit but it won't be fixed this season. It would be later on down the road if they hit on those picks.

fredp22

Reaction score
Some reporter in Seattle (their version of Mike Fisher) said that the odds of Earl Thomas to Dallas went from maybe a 5% chance to a 50% chance now that they cut Dez.

He said that the compensation is what is stopping this.. Supposedly they want a 2nd & 4th rounder. Plus you have to extend his deal.

Also, they mention that Dallas has had offers on the table for Dez over the last 100 days but they didn't take those trade offers.

They are criticizing Dallas for not making him a June 1st cut and getting more money back.

dont buy the trades were on the table for Dez - hard to see a team agree to accept the 16mm salary and why would we rather take the cap hit than do any trade. We were probably just shopping him for last 100 days.
I also hear (at least on the Seattle board) Seattle wants a 1 for Thomas. If they want a 2 and 4- then a 2 or 3 and Beasley would probably have been worked out by now.

DanA

Reaction score
dont buy the trades were on the table for Dez - hard to see a team agree to accept the 16mm salary and why would we rather take the cap hit than do any trade. We were probably just shopping him for last 100 days.
I also hear (at least on the Seattle board) Seattle wants a 1 for Thomas. If they want a 2 and 4- then a 2 or 3 and Beasley would probably have been worked out by now.

I could see Cleveland with massive cap space making a token offer. It'd be a great marketing move for them more so than football move.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know I think they can fix these holes in the draft if they hit but it won't be fixed this season. It would be later on down the road if they hit on those picks.

They could fill backup LB, swing OT/ starting OG, add a contributing WR and or a change of pace RB. If you fill the open S and MIKE positions going in.

A lot easier to do with a 2nd round pick though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I could see Cleveland with massive cap space making a token offer. It'd be a great marketing move for them more so than football move.

If they hit on QB, drafted Barkley, and added Dez to Gordon, Landry, and Njoku... That would be a awesome team on paper.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Let me get this correct, Earl Thomas will turn 29 in May, his salary for 2018 is $8.5 million, he wants $12 to $14 million on a 5 year new contract and Seattle wants two high picks for him. Normally DBs start their decline at 30 although many cases for some playing quite a bit longer. So if we trade for him then it would at least cost us our 3rd round pick probably more and have to sign him to a new contract for some $60 million, is that correct?

Sorry, to me, I would try to draft Tarvarious Moore FS out of Southern Mississippi in the 3rd or 4th round who appears to be if critics are correct another Earl Thomas at round $3 million for at least 4 years. Heck might take our 4th and add a couple of sixth rounders and trade up to get him. I just don't see Thomas worth $60 million and if Seattle is trying to unload him with all the injuries and losses in their secondary, it makes one wary of why they want to trade him, especially when they say he is a hecka of a leader and player.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder is it in the Cowboys best interest to use whatever resources they plan on trading to get Earl Thomas and just try and trade up for Derwin James? Wouldn't that be a better investment? We have a young team...a very young secondary.

You would have a young player that you HOPE will turn into a great player in the NFL.

VS.

A proven player in the NFL who also happens to know the system and way in which the new Coach Richard (currently of the secondary but rumored to be the DC in waiting) wants to run things.

I think THAT is the Earl Thomas factor. A player they like and a player that Coach Richard likes and can help train the other members of the secondary about how the new coach wants things done.

Now...Dallas has not over paid a player not on our team in a long time and they have not traded picks for a player in a long time so it could all just be speculation without Merritt at this time.

DanA

Reaction score
If they hit on QB, drafted Barkley, and added Dez to Gordon, Landry, and Njoku... That would be a awesome team on paper.

Yep, I think a lot of football fans would take notice just because of the names.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will also say again...I think if they do not get Earl Thomas in a trade.
If they do not somehow get Derwin James (whether he falls to them or falls enough for them to trade up)

They only take a lower round Safety for depth and they roll with Woods and Heath as your starting Safeties again.

Reactions: ICP

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We have to take advantage of Dak not having a giant salary.

Earl Thomas will give you 3 more quality years easy.

I'd do a 2nd.

I don't think we'll have a 13-3 year but who knows. I didn't think 2014 or 2016 would happen and it did. So by chance it does happen again I would like to have a defense that would allow us to actually see Green Bays punter a few times a game.

Plus I think Byron Jones can be a quality corner for us and it moves him back to that position.

Chidobe and Jones out wide with Lewis in the slot. I love that.

If Thomas was a free agent that we could just sign, I'd be all for it. But, we just can't afford to give up those high picks. We need a LB, DT, and speed receiver more than a safety in my opinion. If we were a safety away from the Super Bowl, I'd be all for it. We're not. I just don't think giving away those picks for Thomas puts us in a good position going forward.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Let me get this correct, Earl Thomas will turn 29 in May, his salary for 2018 is $8.5 million, he wants $12 to $14 million on a 5 year new contract and Seattle wants two high picks for him. Normally DBs start their decline at 30 although many cases for some playing quite a bit longer. So if we trade for him then it would at least cost us our 3rd round pick probably more and have to sign him to a new contract for some $60 million, is that correct?

Sorry, to me, I would try to draft Tarvarious Moore FS out of Southern Mississippi in the 3rd or 4th round who appears to be if critics are correct another Earl Thomas at round $3 million for at least 4 years. Heck might take our 4th and add a couple of sixth rounders and trade up to get him. I just don't see Thomas worth $60 million and if Seattle is trying to unload him with all the injuries and losses in their secondary, it makes one wary of why they want to trade him, especially when they say he is a hecka of a leader and player.

I can only find 1 video of Tarvarious Moore and it's not impressive at all.

I wish I could find more Moore videos but the 1 that's up on youtube just looks like an athlete attempting to play football.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We had offers to trade Dez and we didn't take them?!? I would have taken a 7th over nothing!!!

I feel like it could have been some crappy team with a ton of cap space like the Browns offering basically nothing for him.

It’d look really bad and set a bad precedent for Dallas to ship off a player who will end up in the ROH for basically nothing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like it could have been some crappy team with a ton of cap space like the Browns offering basically nothing for him.

It’d look really bad and set a bad precedent for Dallas to ship off a player who will end up in the ROH for basically nothing.

You mean for the second year in a row?
:laugh:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Thomas was a free agent that we could just sign, I'd be all for it. But, we just can't afford to give up those high picks. We need a LB, DT, and speed receiver more than a safety in my opinion. If we were a safety away from the Super Bowl, I'd be all for it. We're not. I just don't think giving away those picks for Thomas puts us in a good position going forward.

Look at our 2nd round picks... I like our defense enough that adding a Hall Of Fame safety for a few years seems like a good move over adding a rookie that Dallas seems worthy of a 2nd rounder.

DT is not a huge need and we can find a guy that does the job at 1 tech in Free Agency or later on in the draft.

You hit on linebacker in the 1st and get Earl Thomas then we instantly have a legit defense.

If we play legit defense and Zeke and the O-line ball out then who knows what kind of season we have. That seems like a reasonable expectation.

ICP

Reaction score
I will also say again...I think if they do not get Earl Thomas in a trade.
If they do not somehow get Derwin James (whether he falls to them or falls enough for them to trade up)

They only take a lower round Safety for depth and they roll with Woods and Heath as your starting Safeties again.

:hammer:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Look at our 2nd round picks... I like our defense enough that adding a Hall Of Fame safety for a few years seems like a good move over adding a rookie that Dallas seems worthy of a 2nd rounder.

DT is not a huge need and we can find a guy that does the job at 1 tech in Free Agency or later on in the draft.

You hit on linebacker in the 1st and get Earl Thomas then we instantly have a legit defense.

If we play legit defense and Zeke and the O-line ball out then who knows what kind of season we have. That seems like a reasonable expectation.
I'd give a 3rd and Beasley, but I'm 100% sure Seattle wouldn't take that. I wouldn't give a 2nd round pick and certainly not a 2nd and a 4th. That's just me.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Offers could mean player for player trades, and Dallas didn't want the players offered. It doesn't necessarily mean draft picks. And even if it did include draft picks, it could also include assuming a contract that would be detrimental to the Cowboys for a player that team was dumping. If the goal was to create space to allow for extensions for Lawrence, Martin, Dez and Zeke, then it might not have been an acceptable offer.

Don't assume that "offers" mean someone offered the Cowboys draft picks for Dez.