The Fan reporting the odds of getting E. Thomas went up

goshan

Reaction score
I just can't buy the years out stuff anymore.

Dallas is always years out. How do you compare that to other teams? They probably feel years out too.

You add Earl Thomas to this roster and bolster the front 7 in the draft then you're looking at a potential top 10 defense easy.

If we play above average defense and our run game is explosive again then who knows.

I will say that I think our pass game is going to be blah though.

Those that even mention ‘rebuilding’ or ‘years out’ are completely out of touch with today’s NFL. You try so win every year by reloading and assimilating enough talent. There is no such thing as ‘x years out’.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Too many holes to fill for Thomas alone to make that difference in my opinion.

So rely on a rookie to fill that hole and by the time he's finally a decent player we're chasing our tail at another position.

Dallas has holes, but everyone has holes on their team. Earl Thomas is a bit of a shortcut for us and if you add a linebacker then I think you're talking about a completely different team defensively.

Defense and a run game might minimize the Garrett factor enough to actually do something.

LittleD

Reaction score
My hunch is we'll settle somewhere in the middle.

A 4th rounder and either TWill or Bease.
Or
TWill and Bease
Or
A 3rd rounder next year

Or something else of this nature.

I don't think the Dallas FO spends anything on a non Quadrant A or B SPARQ player. There are some good
SPARQ players in this draft you don't have to give up picks and money for. He's just not worth the money
he's going to want to get.

mugsybows

Reaction score
Sounds like their version of Fisher is as about as credible as ours.

i like fisher but yeah i feel like you're right. its this guys version of throwing something to a wall to see if it sticks. i dont think we are that type of team anymore that pulls of big trades for big names.

i also have heard the idea that getting thomas will help the fans swallow losing dez and how badly they handled it but i also dont think the cowboys give a **** about that either.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'd give a 3rd and Beasley, but I'm 100% sure Seattle wouldn't take that. I wouldn't give a 2nd round pick and certainly not a 2nd and a 4th. That's just me.

I think Seattle is in the position of sign him or watch him walk in Free Agency so they might bite on a 3rd.

LittleD

Reaction score
I wonder is it in the Cowboys best interest to use whatever resources they plan on trading to get Earl Thomas and just try and trade up for Derwin James? Wouldn't that be a better investment? We have a young team...a very young secondary.

No, it's not in their best interest to go after an older player for big money and yes, I would rather they take a pick and go up for James if that's
who they covet.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Not sure how you can say this. We were one defensive stop away from the NFC Championship game in 2016. Last year we went 9-7, with Elliott out for 6 games. If Zeke does not get suspended, with the way things fell last year, we’re probably in the Superbowl last year.

Having said that, we just cut a 29-year old player, not sure why we want to sign another one. I’d prefer we stay young. This team has a young core at QB, RB, offensive line, cornerback, etc. They’re going to be competitive for years.
If Zeke played all 16 games we may have made the playoffs. No way we made the SB.

LittleD

Reaction score
i like fisher but yeah i feel like you're right. its this guys version of throwing something to a wall to see if it sticks. i dont think we are that type of team anymore that pulls of big trades for big names.

i also have heard the idea that getting thomas will help the fans swallow losing dez and how badly they handled it but i also dont think the cowboys give a **** about that either.

Fisher is nothing but a big gas bag dry hole looking for clicks and money from subscribers. In other words, nothing but a hack.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If they have plans to go all in for the next few years with all the cap space they will have, then I say go get ET. If they plan on continuing the frugal ways allowing Garrett’s slow moving process to continue, then just draft another guy in the middle rounds to add to the competition at safety.

fredp22

Reaction score
I could see Cleveland with massive cap space making a token offer. It'd be a great marketing move for them more so than football move.
maybe but just because u have the money doesnt mean you'll overpay for a receiver near bottom of most categories. Dont see him as the draw some Cowboy fans believe he is. After Manziel they also dont want a player that creates a sideline/media circus

LittleD

Reaction score
Those that even mention ‘rebuilding’ or ‘years out’ are completely out of touch with today’s NFL. You try so win every year by reloading and assimilating enough talent. There is no such thing as ‘x years out’.

One player, not a QB, is going to take you to a super bowl. You don't pay age and you don't pay for "non-money 5" players.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don't think the Dallas FO spends anything on a non Quadrant A or B SPARQ player. There are some good
SPARQ players in this draft you don't have to give up picks and money for. He's just not worth the money
he's going to want to get.
When he hugged Garrett & said come get me, that was morse code for I'll take less money.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
So rely on a rookie to fill that hole and by the time he's finally a decent player we're chasing our tail at another position.

Dallas has holes, but everyone has holes on their team. Earl Thomas is a bit of a shortcut for us and if you add a linebacker then I think you're talking about a completely different team defensively.

Defense and a run game might minimize the Garrett factor enough to actually do something.

Every team is always chasing it's tail at some position(s). No one has All Pros across the board and every team relies on rookies to some extent. It's just the way it is. We need upgrades at LB (hell we need an immediate starter), DT, WR, and Safety. We're woefully thin at LB. I won't happy if we don't take a LB with our first round pick (unless Vea were to miraculously slip to us). My ideal draft is LB/DT in the 1st, WR/TE in the 2nd, LB/DT in the 3rd, and go from there. Of course, if a player we have rated extremely high at any position were to fall to us, we have to grab him. If James happened to be there in the first, I'd take him. If Vea and James were both there in the first, I'm not sure what I'd do, but I do know I'd be very happy either way (assuming the FO didn't screw the pooch and take someone other than those two).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One player, not a QB, is going to take you to a super bowl. You don't pay age and you don't pay for "non-money 5" players.

The middle of our defense sucks.

A linebacker in the middle that can cover and safety in the middle that can cover tremendously improves the pass defense.

Earl Thomas and a linebacker that can cover in front of him with Sean Lee drastically increases our chances of being a legit defense.

It also boosts the team in the Dak rookie contract window.

LittleD

Reaction score
When he hugged Garrett & said come get me, that was morse code for I'll take less money.

You must be joking. Players on their last contract are not taking less money to play for one team. They take the highest offer
for a team likely to get to the championship game. NOT US!

LittleD

Reaction score
The middle of our defense sucks.

A linebacker in the middle that can cover and safety in the middle that can cover tremendously improves the pass defense.

Earl Thomas and a linebacker that can cover in front of him with Sean Lee drastically increases our chances of being a legit defense.

It also boosts the team in the Dak rookie contract window.

We have 10 picks in this draft and will get at least 1 of each without breaking the bank which Stephen won't
and shouldn't do.

kskboys

Reaction score
JAX disagrees w/ you.