The Fassano Trade is all about the FB position

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Parcells drafted Fassano because he liked to "collect" TE's. And when it came to blocking, Fassano was good. But was he ever worthy of a 2nd round pick? NO, because he couldn't catch a cold naked in the snow, let alone a TD in a playoff game. So I applaud Jones for trading Fassano and keeping Curtis, who is a better receiving TE than Fassano.

And if you really pay attention here, you'll notice this move is all about the FB position. You see, gone are the Parcells days where we used TE's as blockers in the backfield. With Garrett, the emphasis is back on the FB position to provide that backfield blocking, thus making Fassano expendable. Garreet wants TEs who can catch, making the choice of Curtis over Fassano the right one. And at FB, Dallas has Deion Anderson, but since he is coming back from injury, I expect Dallas to draft a FB somewhere in this draft to bolster that position.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I like Tony Curtis. He made some good plays on ST as well as on offense last year.

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that Fasano was a wasted draft pick. Considering, in hinsight of course, there were alot better options we could have drafted with that pick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Akin was a favor. Getting a 90ish pick is right for a player like Fasano who obviously they felt was not needed. So we got a pick for two players that won't be missed. I'm happy about it.

And that's a good thought about FB. I don't think we will draft a FB this year but it wouldn't be surprising or a bad pick as long as its at the end of day two.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jobberone;2051965 said:
Akin was a favor. Getting a 90ish pick is right for a player like Fasano who obviously they felt was not needed. So we got a pick for two players that won't be missed. I'm happy about it.
Yeah, people are focusing on where we drafted him, not where he was on the depth chart.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2051952 said:
Parcells drafted Fassano because he liked to "collect" TE's. And when it came to blocking, Fassano was good. But was he ever worthy of a 2nd round pick? NO, because he couldn't catch a cold naked in the snow, let alone a TD in a playoff game. So I applaud Jones for trading Fassano and keeping Curtis, who is a better receiving TE than Fassano.

And if you really pay attention here, you'll notice this move is all about the FB position. You see, gone are the Parcells days where we used TE's as blockers in the backfield. With Garrett, the emphasis is back on the FB position to provide that backfield blocking, thus making Fassano expendable. Garreet wants TEs who can catch, making the choice of Curtis over Fassano the right one. And at FB, Dallas has Deion Anderson, but since he is coming back from injury, I expect Dallas to draft a FB somewhere in this draft to bolster that position.
I'm not saying they won't go FB, but Anderson had a torn rotator cuff; that isn't anything that will put doubt on his season.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I love how everyone bases their whole perception of a player on one play... incredibly frustrating, and incredibly wrong.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Also, If I am not mistaken the trade saves 500,000 in the cap but not entirely sure.That could help when resigning a player towards the end of the season to try to put some of that cap hit on this season to free up the cap in the future.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;2051954 said:
I like Tony Curtis. He made some good plays on ST as well as on offense last year.

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that Fasano was a wasted draft pick. Considering, in hinsight of course, there were alot better options we could have drafted with that pick.

We all called him a wasted pick at the time. I'm happy about this simply because I want all the wasted crappy Parcells/Ireland draft picks gone from the team. Let them go to Miami and suck there. If Carpenter doesn't show up this year, they can have him too!

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
tomson75;2051977 said:
I love how everyone bases their whole perception of a player on one play... incredibly frustrating, and incredibly wrong.

Let's leave Jackie Smith out of this. :)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
tomson75;2051977 said:

If I didn't know better I'd think you were a Notre Dame fan. ;)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile;2051967 said:
Yeah, people are focusing on where we drafted him, not where he was on the depth chart.

would you prefer we focused on who we passed up to draft him? I know I certainly don't want to hear about that anymore.

pjt

Reaction score
If we get draft a fb I want Hester out of LSU. He would be a starting FB/ 3rd running back/ great special teams player. He plays with all heart.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2052003 said:

I was just thinking about how Weiss sold BP on Fasano.

That tells me that Weiss doesn't want to get back in the NFL -- when you sell your mediocre players you have an eye toward recruiting, not an NFL job.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2052003 said:

....and I'm a Michigan fan, a OSU fan, a Navy fan, a VT fan, a LSU fan, etc. Pretty much every college football team except USC. ;)

I judge Fasano by the player, not the drop, and not the circumstance. I hat to see him go, but I won't miss him too much...and I think we're better off with this trade.

I just don't like people spouting off crap that isn't true.