The Fassano Trade is all about the FB position

adamknite

Reaction score
pjt;2052017 said:
If we get draft a fb I want Hester out of LSU. He would be a starting FB/ 3rd running back/ great special teams player. He plays with all heart.

I like Payton Hillis... he could do just the same. And Hillis is a very good receiver out of the backfield too.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Parcells had quite a few misses on draft picks during his tenure with the Cowboys. Here is a list of some the 1st to 4th round picks Parcells used: I don't consider missing on 5th thru 7th round picks a failure since those picks are usually hit and miss on any player picked in those rounds.

1. Bobby Carpenter
2. Anthony Fasano
3. Justin Rogers
4. Stephen Peterman
5. Skyler Green
6. Julius Jones*
7. Marcus Spears

* Although Jones had some success, the fact that he never became a real #1 back, I have to consider him a bust.

IMO Parcell's reputation as a great talent evaluator is alittle overated. The above mentioned list of players is pretty long.

Jordan55

Reaction score
Well the bottom line is we still need someone to back up Witten, in case of injury. Curtis is not what I had in mind.
Could Fred Davis or Dustin Keller, be considered, if we pick up additional picks in 2nd round.

Reaction score
Yeah, I like Hillis, too. But I really like Jacob Hester. Lunch pail mentality, can satisfy the need of FB, third RB and will play with a vengence on every single special teams unit. He is a heart and soul kinda guy and I think he could kick the **** out of Owen Schmitt after seeing this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRJczt7YZF4

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Fasano never lived up to the second-round billing. Decent backup player, but we were never going to get a second in return. To get the 100th pick back isn't bad at all.

It's like if we were actively trying to trade Spears or Carpenter. We wouldn't even get a pick in the 60s, despite them both being mid-to-late first rounders. But if we were to get a third or fourth rounder, you'd have to be somewhat content.

It's unfortunate this confirms Fasano was a bust. But at least we got pick 100 to make amends. Who knows, that pick could turn into a solid player. Better than busts of the Tony Dixon, Dwayne Goodrich ilk, where the Cowboys got nothing in return.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
cowboyz;2051982 said:
2006 - Dallas Cowboys Rd Sel # Player Position School 1 18 Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State 2 53 Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame 3 92 Jason Hatcher DE Grambling State 4 125 Skyler Green WR Louisiana State 5 138 Pat Watkins FS Florida State 6 182 Montavious Stanley DT Louisville 7 211 Pat McQuistan T Weber State 7 224 E.J. Whitley C Texas Tech
not looking very good

Horrible draft.

It was bad then, it's ghastly now.

Like I've said before, if not for 2005, we'd be in very bad shape right now.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
TheCount;2052169 said:
Horrible draft.

It was bad then, it's ghastly now.

Unfortunate, but true.

Our hopes now hinge on Pat Watkins and Jason Hatcher, whom we can only hope can perform better than another bust, Marcus Spears.

Thing to remember, though, is that no one bats 1.000 in the draft. And it wasn't like the Parcells era left the cupboard bare. There were some misses --- some baaaad misses -- but more than enough hits.

MONT17

Reaction score
jjktkk;2052052 said:
Parcells had quite a few misses on draft picks during his tenure with the Cowboys. Here is a list of some the 1st to 4th round picks Parcells used: I don't consider missing on 5th thru 7th round picks a failure since those picks are usually hit and miss on any player picked in those rounds.

1. Bobby Carpenter
2. Anthony Fasano
3. Justin Rogers
4. Stephen Peterman
5. Skyler Green
6. Julius Jones*
7. Marcus Spears

* Although Jones had some success, the fact that he never became a real #1 back, I have to consider him a bust.

IMO Parcell's reputation as a great talent evaluator is alittle overated. The above mentioned list of players is pretty long.

Its not just the busted picks it the guys he passed on to draft these guys is what really hurts... passing on Stephen Jackson, Devin Hester, Marcus Mcneil, Matt Schaub!!!

Oh and lets not forget the 3rd round pick he used on Drew Henson!!!!

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2051952 said:
Parcells drafted Fassano because he liked to "collect" TE's. And when it came to blocking, Fassano was good. But was he ever worthy of a 2nd round pick? NO, because he couldn't catch a cold naked in the snow, let alone a TD in a playoff game. So I applaud Jones for trading Fassano and keeping Curtis, who is a better receiving TE than Fassano.

And if you really pay attention here, you'll notice this move is all about the FB position. You see, gone are the Parcells days where we used TE's as blockers in the backfield. With Garrett, the emphasis is back on the FB position to provide that backfield blocking, thus making Fassano expendable. Garreet wants TEs who can catch, making the choice of Curtis over Fassano the right one. And at FB, Dallas has Deion Anderson, but since he is coming back from injury, I expect Dallas to draft a FB somewhere in this draft to bolster that position.

Very good observation however I have to disagree with the last part about drafting a FB, Anderson is fully healthy and is ready. I can see them signing a guy off the street to help out with special teams if needed.

Reaction score
Jordan55;2052060 said:
Well the bottom line is we still need someone to back up Witten, in case of injury. Curtis is not what I had in mind.
Could Fred Davis or Dustin Keller, be considered, if we pick up additional picks in 2nd round.

Have you seen Tony Curtis play??? He plays with a toughness and a mean streak that you love... He and Witten are going to be great together.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Fasano was brought in as part of Parcells wanting to go to a 2 TE offense and shift Fasano around. Problem is that Fasano wasn't very good out of the fullback spot or when they moved him out wide like a receiver. Good idea if they had Chris Cooley on the team along with Witten, but if those two spots are not effective, then the entire thing doesn't stand a chance.

YAKUZA

Jordan55

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2052330 said:

Have you seen Tony Curtis play??? He plays with a toughness and a mean streak that you love... He and Witten are going to be great together.

Threesport, no problem with his blocking, it's just that if Witten went down for a period of time, I don't believe, I would want Curtis as my only option.
Need another strong recieving TE, who can stretch the middle of the field.
I'm not sure Curtis, has that type of speed.

TDHND

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2052003 said:
If I didn't know better I'd think you were a Notre Dame fan. ;)

I actually am a ND fan and was sad to hear this. He was a stud at ND and even though I was shocked when the Cowboys drafted him I was happy to still be able to root for him.So yeah I'm upset that he's gone. Just like I am with JJ being gone.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
..the last ND players off this team.

2 #2 draft picks back-to back in Julius Jones and Fascano and nowhere near the impact these picks should have had on this team.

There is just something about these guys from that school that just doesn't transition to being a pro player.

BP was buddies with Charlie Weiss there at ND and I think they had too many beers during his time as the Dallas HC.

We got sold a bag of beans on those players, that's for sure.

:starspin ReDBaLL ExPreSS :starspin

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dallas is getting ready to package some pick(s) today for potentially trades in the 1st and 2nd rd.

Not because a 4th rd. pick is so important. This pick is more valuable than our own 4th rd. pick at the end of the 4th rd..to that speaks volumes about where we intend going.

Both our 4th rd. picks will get packaged in trades to move up today.

Watch and see.

Parche

Reaction score
2006 - Dallas Cowboys Rd Sel # Player Position School 1 18 Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State 2 53 Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame 3 92 Jason Hatcher DE Grambling State 4 125 Skyler Green WR Louisiana State 5 138 Pat Watkins FS Florida State 6 182 Montavious Stanley DT Louisville 7 211 Pat McQuistan T Weber State 7 224 E.J. Whitley C Texas Tech

And the better one from that list is Hatcher... by far... and if your better player from a draft is the one taken on the 3rd round, well, you had a very bad draft...

Parche

Reaction score
and just for knowing, which are the best options at TE in this draft?? And I guess we should look into 3rd rounders or 4th ones surely, as higher picks will go to other positions...

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Redball Express;2052514 said:
Dallas is getting ready to package some pick(s) today for potentially trades in the 1st and 2nd rd.

Not because a 4th rd. pick is so important. This pick is more valuable than our own 4th rd. pick at the end of the 4th rd..to that speaks volumes about where we intend going.

Both our 4th rd. picks will get packaged in trades to move up today.

Watch and see.

That late fourth round pick belongs to the Titans.