CFZ The fastest way we could build a real contender

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So…with that in mind, here’s what we must do this off-season to get to that next level:
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 2 excellent DTs. Big, strong run stuffers than can start and be effective immediately. No Day 3 developmental projects. Either first or second rounders that are plug and play and/or one stud FA. I Know lots of people like Hankins as a re-sign FA but he’s just ok. We like him because he’s better than anything we’ve had but that doesn’t make him great or indispensable.
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 1 excellent starting OL. Our OL is aging and injury prone (Tyron, Zack Martin and Terrance Steele have all missed games last two years) and we are probably losing Tyler Biadaz to FA. We need to either draft a good C or develop one who’s already here and draft another young starter.
Focus on the big boys. They have the power to make the RBs and LBs behind them.

1st round centers are usually gold.

Then do DTs.

The seeming whiff on Mazie hurt. You don't get infinite 1st round picks, and we're unlikely to spend another soon on a DT. I'm not giving up on him, but from his play this year, Mazie as an impact player is at least 2 seasons away, if ever.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First thing is build the defense from the inside out. They have CBs and Safeties that are good enough. With a strong DL the DBs would be exceptional. To me this is a quick fix. Free agency allows them to get or or preferably 2 stud DTs to fix the problem immediately.
You *could* hit on 2 pure DTs, the problem is *we* seem unlikely to do so. Maybe the league has better luck, or skill, but we haven't had it.

McCoy, Poe, Hill, Mazie, Gallimore. Ouch. The draft picks are brutal.

lostar2009

Reaction score
We was pretty good last year minus our LB position. Seems like we will be more sound on D. We just need to continue evolving on offense.

Creeper

Reaction score
You *could* hit on 2 pure DTs, the problem is *we* seem unlikely to do so. Maybe the league has better luck, or skill, but we haven't had it.

McCoy, Poe, Hill, Mazie, Gallimore. Ouch. The draft picks are brutal.
None of those would I consider fixes. They were at best Jags. I mean Jerry needs to open his pocket book and find at least 1 top tier free agent DT, then maybe another 2nd tier DT. This would be in addition to getting real LBs.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Fastest way to accelerate the Cowboys in 7 months is to build a runningback room that can overcome the limitations of the offensive line.

Everything else will take time, but having the next coming of Walter Payton and Jim Brown in a backfield tandem would take so much pressure off of Dak, the OL, WRS and the defence.

I would be cheap, and allow the other units to slowly build themselves up.

conner01

Reaction score
Most of us watched that SB game Sunday night and thought, “As currently constructed, our roster isn‘t nearly good enough to compete with these teams.” We have quite a ways to go to be on that level.

So what would be the fastest way we could be able to build a roster that is complete enough to compete for a championship? (I didn’t say “BEST” way. I said “fastest“ way) I know many Cowboys fans will say “Get a new QB”, but we know that isn’t happening. Others will say, “Get a new GM.” Sadly, that isn’t happening anytime soon either. So what can we do this off-season?

Here are two things we must first understand:
  • Without a great QB, you must have a great defense. Period. Or at least one that can get critical stops in critical moments. Dak is a good QB IMO, just not a great one. You can win playoff games with him with a great defense. Without it, forget it.
  • Without a great QB, you must also have a very good running game. Thats a non-negotiable. A good running game takes a lot off your QB and also allows your defense to rest while your offense eats some clock.
So…with that in mind, here’s what we must do this off-season to get to that next level:
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 2 excellent starting LBs. Big enough to stop the run but quick enough to drop back into some coverages. We cannot go into 2024 with small LBs anymore.
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 2 excellent DTs. Big, strong run stuffers than can start and be effective immediately. No Day 3 developmental projects. Either first or second rounders that are plug and play and/or one stud FA. I Know lots of people like Hankins as a re-sign FA but he’s just ok. We like him because he’s better than anything we’ve had but that doesn’t make him great or indispensable.
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 1 excellent starting OL. Our OL is aging and injury prone (Tyron, Zack Martin and Terrance Steele have all missed games last two years) and we are probably losing Tyler Biadaz to FA. We need to either draft a good C or develop one who’s already here and draft another young starter.
  • Either by draft of FA- acquire an excellent starting RB- Pollard is likely gone (too expensive) and they misused him last yr anyway. He’s best when he has 12-15 touches max. I would draft a RB in rounds 3-5 that can play right away and pair him with an affordable vet FA in a committee approach. Our current guys like Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis and Deuce Vaughn are not worth much IMO. Maybe keep one.
  • Make some key June 1 cuts to save cap space.
    • Cut Michael Gallup. No brainer.
    • Cut Cooper Rush. Trey Lance is now the backup and will need lots of preseason action.
    • Cut LVE. He’s a big injury risk and won’t cost much to cut but will save some.
    • Cut Nashon Wright. He’s terrible. That simple.
    • Several others not mentioned
So in short, in order for this team to put together a true contender that can seriously compete in the playoffs, we need to get much better on defense, (need 2 top notch LBs and 2 quality DTs that are ready to play NOW) and much better in the running game (add a quality OL and 2 good RBs that can start and play well NOW) Add improved coaching too.

The changes above give us a chance. Running it back without the above changes? Not a chance.
Sound plan. Unlikely to do all that but I agree we have to run and stop the run to win.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Most of us watched that SB game Sunday night and thought, “As currently constructed, our roster isn‘t nearly good enough to compete with these teams.” We have quite a ways to go to be on that level.

So what would be the fastest way we could be able to build a roster that is complete enough to compete for a championship? (I didn’t say “BEST” way. I said “fastest“ way) I know many Cowboys fans will say “Get a new QB”, but we know that isn’t happening. Others will say, “Get a new GM.” Sadly, that isn’t happening anytime soon either. So what can we do this off-season?

• Without a great QB, you must have a great defense. Period. Or at least one that can get critical stops in critical moments. Dak is a good QB IMO, just not a great one. You can win playoff games with him with a great defense. Without it, forget it.
  • Without a great QB, you must also have a very good running game. Thats a non-negotiable. A good running game takes a lot off your QB and also allows your defense to rest while your offense eats some clock.
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 2 excellent starting LBs. Big enough to stop the run but quick enough to drop back into some coverages. We cannot go into 2024 with small LBs anymore.
  • Either by draft of FA- acquire an excellent starting RB- Pollard is likely gone (too expensive) and they misused him last yr anyway. He’s best when he has 12-15 touches max. I would draft a RB in rounds 3-5 that can play right away and pair him with an affordable vet FA in a committee approach. Our current guys like Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis and Deuce Vaughn are not worth much IMO. Maybe keep one.
    • Cut Cooper Rush. Trey Lance is now the backup and will need lots of preseason action.
    • Cut LVE. He’s a big injury risk and won’t cost much to cut but will save some.
So in short, in order for this team to put together a true contender that can seriously compete in the playoffs, we need to get much better on defense, (need 2 top notch LBs and 2 quality DTs that are ready to play NOW) and much better in the running game (add a quality OL and 2 good RBs that can start and play well NOW) Add improved coaching too.

The changes above give us a chance. Running it back without the above changes? Not a chance.
I agree with your assessment, however the Jones boys will do half of your list and take a victory lap.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Quote)
  • Without a great QB, you must also have a very good running game. Thats a non-negotiable. A good running game takes a lot off your QB and also allows your defense to rest while your offense eats some clock.(Unquote)
Sorry but only in a Popcorn farm will you be able to achieve the above as 2 massive walls will never let the above occur.

1. Jerry Jones
2. The Cap.

The above dream sell is just that...........a dream to sell to hopeful needy fans looking for a reason to care again.
d3bde700-83f6-48e3-8631-b5b0d3395ba8_text.gif

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Fastest way you would ever build a real contender is get rid of that fraud McClay and put Floaty in charge of this circus...@ least I would make these turds accountable

ccb04

Reaction score
Even with the best QB in the league, come playoff time in particular, you need a good D. The Chiefs managed just 17 points against a good D on the road in Baltimore, but KC's D held the Ravens and the leagues MVP, to 10 points.

The Giants defense was able to hold Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and the undefeated Patriots, to 14 points...and their offense managed to score 17 points to win.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
None of those would I consider fixes. They were at best Jags. I mean Jerry needs to open his pocket book and find at least 1 top tier free agent DT, then maybe another 2nd tier DT. This would be in addition to getting real LBs.
A first round pick is supposed to be a *quality* starter at any position.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A first round pick is supposed to be a *quality* starter at any position.
that might be what fans believe but that's not always the case. lots of them take some time to break into the starting lineup many sit and wait and develop no matter the round... by the way you can find a starter in any round... the draft is simply that way sometimes, hard to read.

blueblood70

Reaction score
it's amazing to me how many professionals we have in here. all the great Pro GMs, player personnel guys, the team builders who somehow have fell into our little group with all these rock-solid OPINIONS is just special.

someone should inform the NFL they are losing out on all these great ideas that are much better that the pros they pay millions to do their current jobs and most are doing it wrong per this forum LOL​

you all for sure should turn in your resumes, i mean out of 32 teams they should all see SB in the next 2 years with you all leading the way....

crazy how many future NFL CEO's and coaches that are wasting their talents judging the actual professionals that most should be fired for doing it wrong. wow :)

Disclaimer: maybe you all should actually start smaller like the UFL possibly, work your way up? I mean you have to display this wasted talent before its too late. :facepalm: :muttley: :popcorn: :oldcouple:

kskboys

Reaction score
W/ what salary cap room?

kskboys

Reaction score
it's amazing to me how many professionals we have in here. all the great Pro GMs, player personnel guys, the team builders who somehow have fell into our little group with all these rock-solid OPINIONS is just special.

someone should inform the NFL they are losing out on all these great ideas that are much better that the pros they pay millions to do their current jobs and most are doing it wrong per this forum LOL​

you all for sure should turn in your resumes, i mean out of 32 teams they should all see SB in the next 2 years with you all leading the way....

crazy how many future NFL CEO's and coaches that are wasting their talents judging the actual professionals that most should be fired for doing it wrong. wow :)

Disclaimer: maybe you all should actually start smaller like the UFL possibly, work your way up? I mean you have to display this wasted talent before its too late. :facepalm: :muttley: :popcorn: :oldcouple:
So you're against freedom of speech. Got it.

And, why in hades did you click on this thread, you k new what it was about? Maybe you should only enter threads where you're interested in the content.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No seriously,

the Cowboys are missing out they literally should have an open job fair and let all these wonderful professionals in social media sign up for CEO positions and coaching positions to put on display all their ideas that possibly not one person on the Dallas Cowboys staff ,not a coach,or CEO has ever thought of...

I mean they've been doing it all wrong for 28 years according to everyone around here, it should be like the Vince papali story or the open tryout we had here with Michael Irvin that we got the wide receiver from I can't remember his name now, Jesse holly maybe?

but yes they should have open tryouts for all these professional wannabes that just know more than an entire organization of professionals that apparently know nothing they've just been doing it all wrong...

This is the greatest idea of all time, have an open job fair for the know it all fake Internet gms ,coaches, and player personnel executives that no one ever heard of...

they just sit all day long and tell an organization exactly how it should be done from behind their desk ,

it would be great if they actually had an opportunity to not waste their talents doing whatever it is they do whether on their computer , phones , laptops ,or IPads when they should be working, they're telling the world how they know more than professional organizations....

Truly, the NFL is losing out on the opportunity to have a big giant job fare at AT&T and let all these know it all's have a shot and they can pick one coach and 1 executive ,now it would have to be free, you're going to have to be a Intern to start but I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat when we win the Super bowl in the next two seasons because of the wonderful input from the social media crowd...
:muttley: :oldcouple: :lmao: :popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Every team in the league would like to win 12 games. All of them.
Exactly somehow people keep dismissing this as it's like not a big deal to win 36 games two division titles and go to the playoffs three straight years over a three-year.... I get the disappointment not getting to an NFC championship game when we have the opportunity but fans are ridiculous if they're dismissing any of this as if it's easy to do...

Especially given the fact that they think that we have the worst GM, clown retreads for coaches ,prima donnas and soft players, and all the stuff that are said on here no real GM and yet somehow, we tripped into 36 wins, two division titles ,and three straight playoff appearances... I guess it's great to be lucky especially giving two seasons ago there were three teams in the playoffs from our division and another twelve win team in our division last year... But sure this is just normal we should expect this every year

rambo2

Reaction score
Exactly somehow people keep dismissing this as it's like not a big deal to win 36 games two division titles and go to the playoffs three straight years over a three-year.... I get the disappointment not getting to an NFC championship game when we have the opportunity but fans are ridiculous if they're dismissing any of this as if it's easy to do...

Especially given the fact that they think that we have the worst GM, clown retreads for coaches ,prima donnas and soft players, and all the stuff that are said on here no real GM and yet somehow, we tripped into 36 wins, two division titles ,and three straight playoff appearances... I guess it's great to be lucky especially giving two seasons ago there were three teams in the playoffs from our division and another twelve win team in our division last year... But sure this is just normal we should expect this every year
Kind of like 1966 to 1970. Then 1971 happened.