CFZ The fastest way we could build a real contender

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I keep hearing about Wonder Boy Will McClay. Why doesn't he know we have major holes? What does it do? Does he give Jerry a list of big-name players and call it a day. I keep hearing he's some genius.
Well Captain, after assessing last years normal playoff debacle.All I can say is, we were very thin at linebacker , we should have never been so thin at the linebacker position.All we as fans can hope for is that ,someone within this organization, can make some correct personel decisions.Hopefully a good draft and some much needed free agent moves will turn this team around in a positive way.We need OC OT LB RB and some luck .This QB needs a running game , or I believe it will be just another one and done in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well Captain, after assessing last years normal playoff debacle.All I can say is, we were very thin at linebacker , we should have never been so thin at the linebacker position.All we as fans can hope for is that ,someone within this organization, can make some correct personel decisions.Hopefully a good draft and some much needed free agent moves will turn this team around in a positive way.We need OC OT LB RB and some luck .This QB needs a running game , or I believe it will be just another one and done in the playoffs.
FA moves w/ what salary cap room?

deerhunter11

Reaction score
FA moves w/ what salary cap room?
That is up to this front office .They could bring in DT LB and or OL in freeagency. And do the rest of the roster building through the draft.But Dallas needs a good offseason ,running the ball and stopping the run should be priority number one.

kskboys

Reaction score
That is up to this front office .They could bring in DT LB and or OL in freeagency. And do the rest of the roster building through the draft.But Dallas needs a good offseason ,running the ball and stopping the run should be priority number one.
The FO already has us at 16 mil over the cap. How are they going to bring in 3 or more starter quality players?

hopemsu

Reaction score
Most of us watched that SB game Sunday night and thought, “As currently constructed, our roster isn‘t nearly good enough to compete with these teams.” We have quite a ways to go to be on that level.

So what would be the fastest way we could be able to build a roster that is complete enough to compete for a championship? (I didn’t say “BEST” way. I said “fastest“ way) I know many Cowboys fans will say “Get a new QB”, but we know that isn’t happening. Others will say, “Get a new GM.” Sadly, that isn’t happening anytime soon either. So what can we do this off-season?

Here are two things we must first understand:
  • Without a great QB, you must have a great defense. Period. Or at least one that can get critical stops in critical moments. Dak is a good QB IMO, just not a great one. You can win playoff games with him with a great defense. Without it, forget it.
  • Without a great QB, you must also have a very good running game. Thats a non-negotiable. A good running game takes a lot off your QB and also allows your defense to rest while your offense eats some clock.
So…with that in mind, here’s what we must do this off-season to get to that next level:
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 2 excellent starting LBs. Big enough to stop the run but quick enough to drop back into some coverages. We cannot go into 2024 with small LBs anymore.
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 2 excellent DTs. Big, strong run stuffers than can start and be effective immediately. No Day 3 developmental projects. Either first or second rounders that are plug and play and/or one stud FA. I Know lots of people like Hankins as a re-sign FA but he’s just ok. We like him because he’s better than anything we’ve had but that doesn’t make him great or indispensable.
  • Either by draft or FA- acquire at least 1 excellent starting OL. Our OL is aging and injury prone (Tyron, Zack Martin and Terrance Steele have all missed games last two years) and we are probably losing Tyler Biadaz to FA. We need to either draft a good C or develop one who’s already here and draft another young starter.
  • Either by draft of FA- acquire an excellent starting RB- Pollard is likely gone (too expensive) and they misused him last yr anyway. He’s best when he has 12-15 touches max. I would draft a RB in rounds 3-5 that can play right away and pair him with an affordable vet FA in a committee approach. Our current guys like Rico Dowdle, Malik Davis and Deuce Vaughn are not worth much IMO. Maybe keep one.
  • Make some key June 1 cuts to save cap space.
    • Cut Michael Gallup. No brainer.
    • Cut Cooper Rush. Trey Lance is now the backup and will need lots of preseason action.
    • Cut LVE. He’s a big injury risk and won’t cost much to cut but will save some.
    • Cut Nashon Wright. He’s terrible. That simple.
    • Several others not mentioned
So in short, in order for this team to put together a true contender that can seriously compete in the playoffs, we need to get much better on defense, (need 2 top notch LBs and 2 quality DTs that are ready to play NOW) and much better in the running game (add a quality OL and 2 good RBs that can start and play well NOW) Add improved coaching too.

The changes above give us a chance. Running it back without the above changes? Not a chance.
Both of the super bowl teams had great defenses. Even with a great qb, you need a great defense. mahomes didn't have to score but 25 points to win any ball game he played in this year. the chiefs only allowed more than 21 points three times this year, and one was an overtime superbowl... without that defense mahomes plays for a team that doesnt make the playoffs.

Last edited:

deerhunter11

Reaction score
The FO already has us at 16 mil over the cap. How are they going to bring in 3 or more starter quality players?
They will have to release , Gallop and restructure contracts.Dallas could get a couple of impact players in free agency and then, draft the rest they can be better. It can be done.I would start by stopping the run ,and running the football.

kskboys

Reaction score
They will have to release , Gallop and restructure contracts.Dallas could get a couple of impact players in free agency and then, draft the rest they can be better. It can be done.I would start by stopping the run ,and running the football.
We've been screaming this at Jerry for years, and he refuses.

Most contracts have already been restructured.

Releasing Gallup would save us 800,000. What would be the point of that?

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
There are only two QB's in my time watching football that could overcome any playoff deficit. As well as make everyone around them better. Those guys are Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes. You could put any receiver with them. And they make do. To be fair, those guys also have/had top three HC's ever. But the QB is alwaysmost important.

Dak is not that type of QB. So unless the team just gets stars at every other position, we just have to hope he goes on the run of a lifetime one of these years. Like a Flacco or Foles type run.

They should be drafting more QB's for competition. And they should have considered moving up for a top QB by now. Look at what KC/GB did to get their current QB's. Follow the same type of formula.

rambo2

Reaction score
There are only two QB's in my time watching football that could overcome any playoff deficit. As well as make everyone around them better. Those guys are Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes. You could put any receiver with them. And they make do. To be fair, those guys also have/had top three HC's ever. But the QB is alwaysmost important.

Dak is not that type of QB. So unless the team just gets stars at every other position, we just have to hope he goes on the run of a lifetime one of these years. Like a Flacco or Foles type run.

They should be drafting more QB's for competition. And they should have considered moving up for a top QB by now. Look at what KC/GB did to get their current QB's. Follow the same type of formula.
They traded for a top of the draft qb just last season.

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
Lol, about 28 teams would love to be the Cowboys.
Maybe.

Personally, I'm not satisfied with division titles or being better than dregs like the Jets and Commanders. Being compared to the Chiefs, 49ers, and Patriots with Brady needs to be the goal.

rambo2

Reaction score
I mean drafting the guy themselves. Giving up picks to get a guy in the first round.

Lance probably isn't the answer.
It will be interesting to see Lance play this summer. I'm looking forward to that and looking forward to see Dak in his 2nd season in the McCarthy offense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both of the super bowl teams had great defenses. Even with a great qb, you need a great defense. mahomes didn't have to score but 25 points to win any ball game he played in this year. the chiefs only allowed more than 21 points three times this year, and one was an overtime superbowl... without that defense mahomes plays for a team that doesnt make the playoffs.
This is exactly what this FO (and most fans) need to understand. Even the great Patrick Mahomes could not have won a SB this year without that defense. Brady doesn’t win that SB in 2020 in TB without that excellent defense that saved his bacon in the NFC championship game AND bottled up Mahomes in the SB. Brady’s first SB win was against the rams’ “greatest show on turf” and he had a good game, but that pats D had a GREAT game.

Yes, having a great QB is critical. But that isn’t all you need. Aaron Rodgers only won one SB in GB because he never had a great D. Miami’s HOF QB Dan Marino never won a SB and only played in one because he never had a great D. Chargers had HOF QB Dan Fouts and they and never won a SB with him. Again, never had a great D. Hmmm…there’s a pattern here.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
You people deserve to suffer, you deserve 5-11 for years on end. Fortunately, Dallas Has many fans that have class. I believe they far out number the Shittfer's

but the Shittfer's are active in social media, on the four letter network, and message boards like this one.. And part of me agrees with S.A.Smith .I agree I love to see you "Fans" in misery

I love the season and I don't agree that it's all about rings so I'm cool watching the game and the team I love. I mean hey like it or not I have 30 other buddies that have the same fate as Me every year.

I'm not slow enough to say I wasted my time for four months. I enjoy the whole season, win , loose or draw.

Besides I've seen my team play in 8 and win 5 I'm good

McMicah

Reaction score
Here is my honest question. Statistically Dak is a top 10 QB (probably), but is postseason Dak across all his games even a top 20 QB?

I remember two good performances: Green Bay his rookie year, and the Buccaneers with a cooked Brady. I keep asking myself what QBs you could plug into all of his playoff games and expect better play, and ALOT of names come into my mind. Heck I expect Trey Lance could do just as good as that. People keep saying ‘you won’t find anyone better’ speaking to his overall numbers, but in the postseason? Yes, you could find someone better. Kirk Cousins would definitely be better because the bar just isn’t high in postseason play.

I know it feels like purgatory, and I don’t want the QB desert of the 2000s, but why do we keep coming back to the well on a guy who makes bad reads and plays bad situational football in year 8? Are we really extending this guy other than to trade him?