The first step in rebuilding the OLine.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
w/ the Browns, Cardinals, Bills, and San Fran w/ at least 30 mil in cap space, they are going to be going hard after Steinbach IMO

although I like Steinbach and Dielman, I don't want to overpay, we can get a solid OG in the 2nd round of the draft such as Blalock

The Realist

Reaction score
dwmyers;1380326 said:
If you could replace any position on the team with an All-Pro, which position would yield the biggest net benefit to the team?

You may not like our RG, but he is a serviceable RG. Our offense may not be to your liking, but it was the #5 offense in the league. Our defense has a lot more catching up to do.

I think by this criterion, I'd rather get an All pro free safety, or perhaps an All pro ILB.

David.

I understand how good our offense was and all that.

Our serviceable RG is 34 and coming off his 2nd back surgery.

All I'm saying is we were all over Grubbs at the Sr. Bowl and Jerry is sick of not getting what he paid for in FA (Vandy, Hannam, Boiman, Rivera).

He's also been harping on not getting day one starters in draft and more production from draft picks overall.

To me, it appears the stars are aligning for Grubbs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the biggest mistake this team could make is falling in love with the 5th rated offensive ranking we had last year and avoid taking care of the offensive line. In 03 we fell in love with the #1 rated defense. This OL is average at best and I think if Dallas intends on making it to the top this line needs to be more than just average. Myself I think Guard has to be taken care of but I also think Dallas can do better than Adams.

superpunk

Reaction score
stasheroo;1380363 said:
James and Ayodele just signed big-money deals - cutting either is not an option at this point. For better or worse, I think the cowboys have to stand pat at ILB. Both have shown that they can play, so that might not be the worst thing.

I wouldn't throw an entire draft at offensive line, but I feel that a significant investment needs to be made there, more than any other area.

Despite the offense's 5th ranking, I think it was obvious that the offensive line was far from dominant, with substantial area for improvement.

Their deals are not as prohibitive as you might think - specially not James.

We cut Vandy and took that hit. I don't think Jerry's concerned about cutting dead wood and the ramifications. I'd prefer James and Ayodele just work, but it's not the end of the world if we have to go elsewhere.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Hailmary;1380196 said:
GBNDR reports...

Bengals franchise former #1 pick… Cincinnati has designated DE Justin Smith as its franchise player. Smith was the 4th player taken overall at the 2001 draft. By using the franchise tag, the Bengals have the right to match any offer sheet Smith would receive from another team, and if Smith were to sign with another team, they would receive compensation in the form of first-round picks in the 2007 and 2008 drafts. In turn, the team is committed to paying Smith a one-year salary equal to the average of the five highest-paid defensive ends in the league; that amount is $8.6 million, according to figures released by the NFL Players Association during Super Bowl week. Teams have until next Thursday to tag players. In tagging Smith, though, the Bengals have pretty much conceded losing OG Eric Steinbach once free agency starts next week.

Get this kid signed and focus our first 2 picks on either OT or WR. No brainer.
You and I are on the same page....we MUST go offense in this draft...I absolutley think a WR and an OT have to be 1st day picks...then I would go CB..when I look into the very near future...I do not like what I see at that position...Glenn is aging....and I personallly do not think Henry is a pure cover CB

CoCo

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1380384 said:
I think the biggest mistake this team could make is falling in love with the 5th rated offensive ranking we had last year and avoid taking care of the offensive line. In 03 we fell in love with the #1 rated defense. This OL is average at best and I think if Dallas intends on making it to the top this line needs to be more than just average. Myself I think Guard has to be taken care of but I also think Dallas can do better than Adams.

Excellent point Dooms!

Yeah we were ranked 5th, but I do think it was a bit misleading.

For instance, we rarely (ever?) established our running game without some big pass plays. I consider our running game complementary, not stand alone. That may in part be the backs, but I definitely think the O-line is sub-standard in run blocking.

We have tremendous weapons in the passing game but it is highly Romo dependant. Too often, he had to buy his own time to find receivers. The good news is that he was often good at it. But it also played a role in trying to force things and ending up with turnovers.

I think we're counting on Phillips to fix the D largely with existing players. A tweak here or there.

I actually think both units are about equal in talent. More weak links on O, but also more stars to overcome those links. The good news is that we are not desperate on either side of the ball.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1380387 said:
Their deals are not as prohibitive as you might think - specially not James.

We cut Vandy and took that hit. I don't think Jerry's concerned about cutting dead wood and the ramifications. I'd prefer James and Ayodele just work, but it's not the end of the world if we have to go elsewhere.

Considering James got $8 million in a signing bonus, I'd say he sticks around for a minimum of two years, even if he's terrible (which I doubt). I think the "3-4 for dummies" scheme held a lot of these talented players back.

superpunk

Reaction score
stasheroo;1380472 said:
Considering James got $8 million in a signing bonus, I'd say he sticks around for a minimum of two years, even if he's terrible (which I doubt). I think the "3-4 for dummies" scheme held a lot of these talented players back.

It is entirely possible that it was the dummies on the field that couldn't implement the "3-4 for geniuses." Schemes can make a player look less impressive, or call on him to do things he's not that great at - but it can't completely mask talent, as much as Spears' and James' were "masked" last year. Demarcus Ware excelling despite this crappy scheme is all the evidence you need. You can make an impact no matter what you're asked to do.

It would be better all-around if it was the fault of the scheme, and not just that the players aren't that good. I have my doubts about a few.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1380478 said:
It is entirely possible that it was the dummies on the field that couldn't implement the "3-4 for geniuses." Schemes can make a player look less impressive, or call on him to do things he's not that great at - but it can't completely mask talent, as much as Spears' and James' were "masked" last year. Demarcus Ware excelling despite this crappy scheme is all the evidence you need. You can make an impact no matter what you're asked to do.

It would be better all-around if it was the fault of the scheme, and not just that the players aren't that good. I have my doubts about a few.

Opinions vary.

These players haven't always been "bad players". At one point, Bradie James played well enough to warrant his new contract - as did Roy Williams. They didn't turn into bad players overnight.

And if they're all bad, the team should blow it up and start over, because other than Ware, nobody played well.

When Spears is instructed to engage a lineman rather than beat that lineman, he's handcuffed and rendered helpless. I'm hoping that he (among others) can achieve what Castillo did under Phillips' coaching.

superpunk

Reaction score
stasheroo;1380486 said:
Opinions vary.

These players haven't always been "bad players". At one point, Bradie James played well enough to warrant his new contract - as did Roy Williams. They didn't turn into bad players overnight.

And if they're all bad, the team should blow it up and start over, because other than Ware, nobody played well.

When Spears is instructed to engage a lineman rather than beat that lineman, he's handcuffed and rendered helpless. I'm hoping that he (among others) can achieve what Castillo did under Phillips' coaching.

No matter what, you can take the job you've been given and excel at that. If Spears' responsibility was to flick boogers at the opposing QBs, he should have clogged his nose up and then flicked away like there was no tomorrow, hoping to be the best damn booger-flicker this world has ever seen - instead, we got the defeatist attitude where he can't do what he's asked to do, and so he stunk at it. It's not an impossible task. New England runs the same two-gap system we run, and somehow Seymour manages to not be irrelevant.

As for James, he's a weirdo. He looked to be on his way, then he got paid. Some guys just can't handle it once they get that contract and their motivation's gone. In any case, James' problem appears to be mostly mental - maybe we can just give him less to think about next year.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1380384 said:

:hammer:

It seems chic to use that stat when in reality Romo was running for his life 85% of the time. Fix the o-line and make that #5 a legitimate #1 or 2.

As for going for safety or ILB - Nutso. Watch how much betteer these guys perform with adequate coaching and Dat. Watkins needs a fair shake, IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1380491 said:
No matter what, you can take the job you've been given and excel at that. If Spears' responsibility was to flick boogers at the opposing QBs, he should have clogged his nose up and then flicked away like there was no tomorrow, hoping to be the best damn booger-flicker this world has ever seen - instead, we got the defeatist attitude where he can't do what he's asked to do, and so he stunk at it. It's not an impossible task. New England runs the same two-gap system we run, and somehow Seymour manages to not be irrelevant.

Sorry, I don't see it that way. San Diego wasn't putting Merriman in coverage all day - they let him maximize his abilities - pass rush. Hopefully, that's what Phillips does here. And if you think Dallas was running the same "D" that New England was, I've got a bridge for sale.

superpunk said:
As for James, he's a weirdo. He looked to be on his way, then he got paid. Some guys just can't handle it once they get that contract and their motivation's gone. In any case, James' problem appears to be mostly mental - maybe we can just give him less to think about next year.

I agree here. Hopefully this scheme is less complicated and the players can just "play" rather than overanalyzing things.

There seemed to be a fundamental breakdown with their entire defense over the last month of the season - nobody (other than Ware) was playing well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Ya know, as far as Bradie's signing bonus goes, it's not like we have to cut the guy. He can stay on the team; he just might have to sit the bench. Or be substituted for a lot.

And I for one don't think Bradie got lazy after he got his new deal. I think he was just athletically limited to start with.

superpunk

Reaction score
stasheroo;1380501 said:
Sorry, I don't see it that way. San Diego wasn't putting Merriman in coverage all day - they let him maximize his abilities - pass rush. Hopefully, that's what Phillips does here. And if you think Dallas was running the same "D" that New England was, I've got a bridge for sale.

I'll buy it. New England relies alot on the same principles we do. They're not identical, but Bellichick plays pretty straight up unless he needs to really create some confusion, ie when he plays Peyton. They're just better than we are - and they play smarter.

No matter what you ask the player to do, it's the palyers responsibility to play the hell out of whatever they're asked to do. Spears lacked that, and followed it up with whiny comments about how tough the defense was.

Boo-hoo. Your draft counterpart Ware found a way to excel despite being "misused" for two years. It ain't impossible.

I agree here. Hopefully this scheme is less complicated and the players can just "play" rather than overanalyzing things.

There seemed to be a fundamental breakdown with their entire defense over the last month of the season - nobody (other than Ware) was playing well.

They'd play well in spots, and then just fall apart. Parcells kept thinking they'd get right, and go back to what they were doing early, playing the bend don't break defense (that the Patriots play) instead of the "fall to pieces immediately" defense that the December Cowboys play. That's on him, for not changing things up and trusting them to get it fixed.

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1380504 said:
Ya know, as far as Bradie's signing bonus goes, it's not like we have to cut the guy. He can stay on the team; he just might have to sit the bench. Or be substituted for a lot.

And I for one don't think Bradie got lazy after he got his new deal. I think he was just athletically limited to start with.
I don't think his struggles had anything to do with athleticism. Brain-power, and dedication to study - maybe. Not athleticism.

dwmyers

Reaction score
CoCo;1380422 said:
The good news is that we are not desperate on either side of the ball.

Then why do we act as if we don't waste an entire draft RIGHT NOW on right guards our offense is going to hell?

Because our #5 offense was built on a single link that could go away.. as if Rivera is going to eat himself off the line, in the fashion of a Willie Blade?

Instead, we'll just ignore the long passes we gave up, the 32 points a game we left on the field in the last 4 regular season games, because you can't handwave those stats away and make them much worse than they already are.

I'm old fashioned I suppose. I don't think you need to spend $3 million a year or waste a first round draft choice on a guard.

:banghead:

David.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1380260 said:
I'd still rather get Dielman. It's not so much that I think he's better than Steinbach, but I think Steinbach is going to get a megasized Hutchinson-type deal from someone, and I don't know if it should be us. Dielman is very good, is a mean, mauler type like we could use, and has the Phillips connections so that he might actually want to come here.

I also would prefer Dielman but I wouldn't be upset if we signed Steinbach, I just think his price will be higher than Dielman's for very little difference in performance. Dielman is a bit stouter (6'4" 310) which I like at OG, Steinbach is built more like an OT (6'6" 290). Over the long run I think taller OGs end up having back problems although that is not universal.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
superpunk;1380206 said:
IF we are going to get a big name free agent guard, I don't think we could make a better choice than Steinbach. If there's one are where we are pretty devoid of talent, it is at guard, with no prospects on the way except for Procter, and who knows how he's gonna pan out. Steinbach is the one free agent I think we almost can't live without. The price will be high, but plugging that gaping hole we know as Marco Rivera has got to be a priority.

See also Cooper Carlisle.

Why bother? The Skins will do their usual cutting and reworking of contracts and scoop Steinbach up with a huge signing bonus. :rolleyes:

carphalen5150

Reaction score
I want to get at least one offensive lineman through FA, but I am also real curious to see the progress of Proctor and McQuistan. I believe Proctor got some time at C in TC last year, so with the pending loss of Al Johnson and the money they are going to have to give Gurode he may prove to be a good value in terms of an interior swingman. McQuistan drew praise from Parcells, Pettiti did too though, but I am real curious to see if he is a viable swing OT. RG is the position that really needs to be addressed, whether that is Steinbach or Dielman that is the position we really have to go after.

Bottom line the line has some issues, I just hope we are not spinning our wheels in the development of mcQuistan and Proctor.