The first step in rebuilding the OLine.

superpunk

Reaction score
dwmyers;1380522 said:
Then why do we act as if we don't waste an entire draft RIGHT NOW on right guards our offense is going to hell?

Because our #5 offense was built on a single link that could go away.. as if Rivera is going to eat himself off the line, in the fashion of a Willie Blade?

Instead, we'll just ignore the long passes we gave up, the 32 points a game we left on the field in the last 4 regular season games, because you can't handwave those stats away and make them much worse than they already are.

I'm old fashioned I suppose. I don't think you need to spend $3 million a year or waste a first round draft choice on a guard.

:banghead:

David.
All was not well on offense. IF we had to identify the major problem, it had to be RG. Rivera was a gaping hole, and made everyone around him worse both in 2005 and 2006. His father figure role is maybe undersold, but his actual performance was garbage.

That doesn't mean we have to go apenuts about getting one - if the difference in production vs. cost of Rivera and Kosier has taught us anything, it's that B-level G's can be brought in and excel, and maybe be more of a product of a system than any other position. Heck, Brian Waters played TE for us before becoming a perrenial all-pro.

I don't think drafting one high is beyond question. 2nd round maybe. The defense CAN play well, and they've shown that. It's just that they've been terribly inconsistent.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1380517 said:
I don't think his struggles had anything to do with athleticism. Brain-power, and dedication to study - maybe. Not athleticism.
I don't think there should be any doubt that James has trouble covering the width of the field to get to the flats or keeping up with a similarly sized TE down the field. Ayodele was playing at a completely other level of game speed, which made James's athleticism (or lack thereof) stick out like a sore thumb.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1380558 said:
I don't think there should be any doubt that James has trouble covering the width of the field to get to the flats or keeping up with a similarly sized TE down the field. Ayodele was playing at a completely other level of game speed, which made James's athleticism (or lack thereof) stick out like a sore thumb.

I think it's very likely that he just didn't know what to do - he was never even close on those sideline dump offs - almost like he was in another world. New England's LBs are not phenomenal athletes, but they play smart, and keep themselves in good position. James just seemed clueless. I don't think there's any question that he should be able to keep step with Jon Karney, lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dwmyers;1380522 said:
Then why do we act as if we don't waste an entire draft RIGHT NOW on right guards our offense is going to hell?

Because our #5 offense was built on a single link that could go away.. as if Rivera is going to eat himself off the line, in the fashion of a Willie Blade?

Instead, we'll just ignore the long passes we gave up, the 32 points a game we left on the field in the last 4 regular season games, because you can't handwave those stats away and make them much worse than they already are.

I'm old fashioned I suppose. I don't think you need to spend $3 million a year or waste a first round draft choice on a guard.

:banghead:

David.

I would not say drafting a quality offensive lineman a waste of a pick. Dallas offense did score points but the line play was not very good Romo made it less of a factor but this offense tended to start very slowly and the run game was very inconsistent. As far as I'm concerned Dallas could draft a top guard or tackle but this line has to be addressed because I for one do not see this as a championship level offensive line and when looking at other top teams I am seeing dominate players along their lines. OL may not be a glamour pick but for this team I do think this area has to be addressed if we want to move up to the next level.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1380561 said:
I think it's very likely that he just didn't know what to do - he was never even close on those sideline dump offs - almost like he was in another world. New England's LBs are not phenomenal athletes, but they play smart, and keep themselves in good position. James just seemed clueless. I don't think there's any question that he should be able to keep step with Jon Karney, lol.
I won't disagree with the assertion that he's both slow and dumb. How's that? :D

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
steinbach is good, but he'll likely be getting a contract just lower then hutchinsons. and the browns are going to be all over him.

i got my money on dallas going after guys like

deilman
davis
gandy

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
superpunk;1380517 said:
I don't think his struggles had anything to do with athleticism. Brain-power, and dedication to study - maybe. Not athleticism.

Oh, I strongly disagree. If you put Bradie against Burnett, Ayodele, and Carpenter in a combine-style series of LB drills, Bradie would be dead last by quite a bit, I bet.

Now if you want to stop Brandon Jacobs coming through the line, Bradie would be better than all those guys. But to think you can get 250 lb guys that move just as well as 235 or 240 guys is pure fantasy, freaks like Demarcus Ware excluded. It's the price you pay for all those "big LBs".

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I Think O- Line is the Number 1 need for this team, we are at least Serviceable everywhere else.

sbark

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1380698 said:
Oh, I strongly disagree. If you put Bradie against Burnett, Ayodele, and Carpenter in a combine-style series of LB drills, Bradie would be dead last by quite a bit, I bet.

Now if you want to stop Brandon Jacobs coming through the line, Bradie would be better than all those guys. But to think you can get 250 lb guys that move just as well as 235 or 240 guys is pure fantasy, freaks like Demarcus Ware excluded. It's the price you pay for all those "big LBs".

If you get a chance, re-watch the last Giants late 3rd area i beleive........Bradie got Pepsi-machined by Jacobs..........just steamrolled, shouldv'e made a reverse "Jacked Up" easily.................

He was never the same the rest of the season..........really was a mental turning point for him............after that, in that same game, the Giants started iso'd him on short dumpoffs to Tiki. Boys' had made a chess move to take away the TE, leaving James alone and exposed......after that it was patterned by all teams to end of season

The Curly One

Reaction score
I agree that the O-line should be the number one. I have been saying that since the last time we won a playoff game. (10 years)
Someone said that our offense is #5 but they jump up to #1 or 2 with a good line and I agree with that and think it is possible.
If we do not pick up a good O-line in free agency look for our offense to be WORSE not better.
What ever it takes in free agency to get them in here do it. Even though he may not be the biggest problem on our offensive line I have no confidence in Flozell Adams.

Use our draft picks for impact players but free agency has to be for offensive line on proven players. We all know that offensive and defensive line players sometimes do not really make an impact for several years, we do not have that long here. Besides that the rest of the offense is not that bad and can win games if our defense did not give up all of those points this year.
I do not know if it was the defensive scheme (Zimmer) or talent but our defense did not play up to our expectations. Plenty of blame to go around there.
With out saying bad things about the old coaching staff the defensive players seem to think this year will be a much improved defense due to the new coaches and schemes. We shall see. Curly

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1380504 said:
Ya know, as far as Bradie's signing bonus goes, it's not like we have to cut the guy. He can stay on the team; he just might have to sit the bench. Or be substituted for a lot.

And I for one don't think Bradie got lazy after he got his new deal. I think he was just athletically limited to start with.

or he was stuck is a horrible system, like all the rest of our guys

I think he'll be fine this yr...might not be an everydown LB, but when its an obvious passing down LB's shouldnt be in the game anyway IMO unless they are rushing the passer

David

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
dont compare these guys to rivera please......rivera was hurt when we signed him and we hoped he would heal and he never really did.....he has been old and hurt during his tenure in Dallas......at least we know why GB didnt care if he left Wisconsin....

Steinbach and Dielman are both 4 year vets....just hitting their primes and are healthy.....they are a far contrast from what Rivera was when he came here.

Davis is an OG being forced to play OT in Zona.....he will be cheaper than the 2 above....should be anyway.....and he is a very nice player when he plays at OG....He too is healthy and young....

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
LatinMind;1380612 said:
steinbach is good, but he'll likely be getting a contract just lower then hutchinsons. and the browns are going to be all over him.

i got my money on dallas going after guys like

deilman
davis
gandy

in which case somebody is giving out an incredibly stupid deal...Steinbach is not an allpro calibar player...he is above average

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dont compare these guys to rivera please......rivera was hurt when we signed him and we hoped he would heal and he never really did.....he has been old and hurt during his tenure in Dallas......at least we know why GB didnt care if he left Wisconsin....

Rivera hurt his back not long after we signed him, working out...he was not damaged goods when we got him...older yes, but not hurt

Davis is an OG being forced to play OT in Zona.....he will be cheaper than the 2 above....should be anyway.....and he is a very nice player when he plays at OG....He too is healthy and young....

what are you people thinking with this guy? he's a fat slob that cant block my sister...he isnt a guard, he isnt a tackle...he's a guy destined to be a benchwarmer...he's a BUST people...if he came for the league minimum I still wouldnt want him

David

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
are u sure? i could have sworn he was hurt in GB and that is why he became expendable...

my understanding is that he was hurt prior to joining the team, but had surgery after joining the team, with the idea being that a full recovery would be made.....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hello, Big D!

"I was old enough and mature enough to understand why I had to leave Green Bay," Rivera says. "But to tell you the truth, if there ever was a team that was going to get me to leave Green Bay, it was going to be the Cowboys. I know a lot of players here, and I met with Coach (Bill) Parcells, and I respect his way of doing things, so it kind of made the decision process of leaving Green Bay a lot easier."

But shortly after he signed, Rivera did the strangest thing. He marched up to owner Jerry Jones and offered to give it all back, the bonus money, everything.

It seems he suffered a freakish injury to his back while working out on a treadmill. He suffered a herniated disk, and surgery was required. The prognosis was cloudy.

Jones declined, telling Rivera he had little doubt the surgery and the recovery would be successful.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/2005-08-23-rivera_x.htm

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Biggems;1381491 said:
are u sure? i could have sworn he was hurt in GB and that is why he became expendable...

my understanding is that he was hurt prior to joining the team, but had surgery after joining the team, with the idea being that a full recovery would be made.....

your understanding is wrong

he hurt it not long after signing while working out...he felt so bad about it that he offered to return his signing bonus

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Biggems;1381491 said:

There were rumors that it was hurt before he signed. Nothing substantiated, of course.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;1381491 said:

Rivera hurt his back running on a treadmill in Dallas, or wherever Dallas was working out at the time