The FO grand plan: Lady Luck or “The Miracle on Turf”

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So as free agency goes ahead and the draft looms again in the 2019 Cowboys off season, we fans are stuck wondering again, “What’s the grand plan to win a championship? How bad does our owner and his sidekick son want to win?

I think most fans know by now that our owner says he wants to win a championship, but only within the extremely narrow passageway known as “Jerry’s way”. He will do it his way or he will not do it at all. We have seen 23 years of clear evidence.

The proof of the above stares us in the face every year Jerry keeps Garrett as his HC and says he’s serious about winning. He could spend a fortune on the best coaching staff money could buy but despite two wild card wins in 8 years, he chooses to have “his coach” do it “his way”.

Sadly my fellow fans, I’m convinced that the only way we win a championship in the near future is not going to be with shrewd planning from the FO. It will be with that shifty hard to catch ghost known as “Lady Luck”.

So no plan. No philosophy other than non-sensical press conference drivel to make clear what the grand plan is. No...The plan will have to be the “broken clock” method. It’s right twice a day regardless of setting. Or the “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally” theory. That’s it. That’s the Jones plan. That’s the way you strike oil- you take chances and get lucky.

In other words, roll the dice my friends on your favorite team. Put down the free agent lists and draft projections. Take a dart and put the names up there and throw. You will be as prepared and accurate as the 76 year old playing GM with his #1 son. No boss. No consequences. No worries. Just a dice roll. Knowing either way, win or lose billions will still roll in!

So I guess we should put our hopes on Lady Luck! On rare occasions, she comes through. Like the 1980 Olympic hockey “miracle on ice.” I guess we can say we are all praying for a “miracle on turf”! Lord knows this front office might as well admit that’s their plan.

I'm too old to "quit" the Cowboys but I've stopped believing the Jones boys will ever produce another champion. Doing it "their way" hasn't worked, but it's still more important to them than trying to win any other way.

After all, they'll still be billionaires when they wake up tomorrow while playing the ultimate version of fantasy football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm too old to "quit" the Cowboys but I've stopped believing the Jones boys will ever produce another champion. Doing it "their way" hasn't worked, but it's still more important to them than trying to win any other way.

After all, they'll still be billionaires when they wake up tomorrow while playing the ultimate version of fantasy football.
I’ve never bought into this “ believing “ of any team I’ve been a fan of.

I simply watch their games and cheer them on. And then analyze the results. Not sure why we need to believe in anything?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I feel the same way. I want the Cowboys to win, but I don’t see the Jones being serious about winning. That’s why my mantra is “I will believe it when it happens.”

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We are talent dependent.

It’s taken us this far. If we continue to add more talent while retaining the bulk of our current talent , then we might have a shot.

There really isn’t much else for us to root for within “Jerry’s way”.

I agree, we need to add more talent................I heard there is this cool thing called free agency where you can actually do that, add talent.

Too bad the Jones family is on vacation in the Bahamas and have no idea this free agency thing exist.:(

ArtClink

Reaction score
We didn’t against Seattle. Why?

Just saying the rams game was lost because of coaching and complete lack of adjustments. Seattle wasnt near the team LA was, and the difference in rams game was coaching.

I was on 50 yd line for the Seattle playoff game. Great experience, great win. I met one of my favorite Cowboys, the great Mel Renfro (see my profile pic)!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just saying the rams game was lost because of coaching and complete lack of adjustments. Seattle wasnt near the team LA was, and the difference in rams game was coaching.

I was on 50 yd line for the Seattle playoff game. Great experience, great win. I met one of my favorite Cowboys, the great Mel Renfro (see my profile pic)!
What was the difference in the Seattle game?

Sounds like the difference was talent. In one game we were the more talented team and the other we weren’t?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree, we need to add more talent................I heard there is this cool thing called free agency where you can actually do that, add talent.

Too bad the Jones family is on vacation in the Bahamas and have no idea this free agency thing exist.:(
The best place to add talent is the draft. And it’s less risk and more affordable than FA.

If you don’t miss in the draft then FA is much less of a need.

ArtClink

Reaction score
What was the difference in the Seattle game?

Sounds like the difference was talent. In one game we were the more talented team and the other we weren’t?

Jimmy Johnson won us some big playoff games when we couldnt exceed or match talent on the other team. Coaching matters and we need that edge just to have all the weapons opposing teams have. Just sayin...

ArtClink

Reaction score

Now the Stephen has a bigger voice, we have become cheapskates in FA. The money saved should go towards the best coaches money can buy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson won us some big playoff games when we couldnt exceed or match talent on the other team. Coaching matters and we need that edge just to have all the weapons opposing teams have. Just sayin...
I’m not disputing coaching matters but it seems like every time we lose it’s on the coaching but when we win they don’t get credit? Just sayin..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Now the Stephen has a bigger voice, we have become cheapskates in FA. The money saved should go towards the best coaches money can buy.
But coaches salaries have no impact on Salary Cap?

What we could do with savings is retain more of our current talent.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Not really sure why people expect the offense to be any different with Kellen Moore. This is Garretts offensive scheme and Kellen Moore isn't going to be given any leeway to divert from that.

RS12

Reaction score
I think its obvious that they are saving up for cap crippling QB contract.