The Full Scope Of Dak’s Leverage

817Gill

Reaction score
This isn’t necessarily a thread arguing for or against his signing, just some interesting info on the leverage Dak’s camp holds in this negotiation. I know it’s not some flashy reporter, but it’s all factual well researched info and the meat of the reasons why this deal is moving so slow

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak only has leverage if Jerry allows it. Being the QB for the Cowboys is the most high profile position in sports. It's not the same in Jacksonville or Indy.
Yep. Jerry and most of these owners don't have the guts to put it nicely to treat QB like any other position and let them go when they know they asking for too much and or aren't as good as the money they are asking for.

Tussinman

Reaction score
If Daks agent wants a short deal (due to the new CBA) then I would do a kirk cousins type deal. 3 years 100 million all guaranteed. Doesn't bankrupt the team and it gives new coaches 3 years to either get Dak to where they want or train his successor.

ultron

Reaction score
If reports are accurate and he turned down 33m/year and they obviously aren't just 1 or 2 million a year away from a deal is a bit alarming. The more I think about it, the more I believe he wants to be franchise tagged and wait for the new CBA next year. In the meantime the Cowboys are held hostage and will lose a top WR (Cooper), top CB (Byron), or possibly both. Not only that - the media's narrative is that the Cowboys aren't even trying to get this deal done & that's not the case at all. Some media outlets have even hinted at the narrative that this has something to do with Dak's race which is just WOW.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If reports are accurate and he turned down 33m/year and they obviously aren't just 1 or 2 million a year away from a deal is a bit alarming. The more I think about it, the more I believe he wants to be franchise tagged and wait for the new CBA next year. In the meantime the Cowboys are held hostage and will lose a top WR (Cooper), top CB (Byron), or possibly both. Not only that - the media's narrative is that the Cowboys aren't even trying to get this deal done & that's not the case at all. Some media outlets have even hinted at the narrative that this has something to do with Dak's race which is just WOW.

The only reason he didn't sign the $33 million dollar offer is because the Cowboys shorted him on the guaranteed money.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Nobody has really done that last part. I've heard it mentioned but that wasn't the biggest reason by far and most just have to use one of his football relatives Kirk Cousins to know that's bs. That was just some its a boring news day topic but most have kept it to on field stuff the vast majority of the time so don't try to use outlier stuff as the main point.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
This isn’t necessarily a thread arguing for or against his signing, just some interesting info on the leverage Dak’s camp holds in this negotiation. I know it’s not some flashy reporter, but it’s all factual well researched info and the meat of the reasons why this deal is moving so slow

Im ok with it if he wants to be tagged for 2 years and then become a FA to maximize his earning potential, but I'm damn sure going to draft his replacement this year if it does not work out and he goes we have our future set. if he decides to stay we have a tradable asset.

slick325

Reaction score
Always pro player when it comes to contract negotiations. However, one thing that can shift leverage back to the organization is if Dallas draft's a QB high in the draft while Dak is tagged. He holds out and doesn't sign the tag until right before camp, the kid gets all the 1st reps throughout the offseason and the new HC likes the new kid...that would spell the end of leverage.

Dak would still get paid well but setting the market in Dallas would be a no go. This FO is not built for this forward thinking though. Dak gets his deal before the draft IMO.

John813

Reaction score

Yes and no. Dallas by March 10th will have a good idea how long this will drag out.

High risk of a downgrade but if they just can't come to terms they can either sign a guy like (gulp) Keenum and/or draft a QB.
Still have an unsigned QB eating "cap space" but they can make options at the QB if need be.

Still think any worrying over his contract now is premature and he'll sign a long term deal fwiw.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I agree. As long as the Cowboys let Dak deal the cards he has leverage.
The minute the Cowboys start doing something to move on, that will change the game.
Agreed.

Reminds me of the Zeke saga. If Zeke played for Bellicheck or Pete Carroll none of this sit out garbage would of happened. Both coaches would tell the media (when the media asked in the off-season about extensions) "no we don't do extensions/hold outs with 2 years left, our organziation have never been run this way, there will be no future talk of contract extensions". That would of literally been the END of it.

Stupid Jerry and his arrogant Son do the opposite and tell the media "we already have the money allocated for him", "Zekes our boy for life", "Todd gurley is the starting point of negotiations" then try to act all suprised when he holds out.........

Dak will have all the leverage until they put there foot down and start doing things to move on

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys should draft a potential replacement for Dak this year in case he sits the year out. I would also spend a little cap room to get a reasonably good veteran backup in place.

Then I would tag Dak and let him consider his options. In that situation, holding out makes no sense for Dak.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Drafting a qb makes sense but signing a qb would be horrible. You would have over $50 million dollars of cap space tied up at the qb position.