The fumble might be the best thing for Romo

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
burmafrd;1300453 said:
No way he can be over confident or cocky now.
No way can he NOT be working his butt off from now through TC.
All the times BP was nagging at him like a housewife on the hubby taking out the garbage as regards holding onto the ball- none of that matches the impact of The Hold.

I don't mean this with disrespect....but how can you have over 6,000 post? Sit here all day and reply to post? I have been on here almost everyday since before this forum was on the new software and we all started over in our post numbers. I don't post everyday but I do post and I'm in the 500's. How the heck do you guys have so many posts? I can see Woody's Girl, Brianspaint, etc. but man what do you do to get 6,000 post? Create a post and reply 5,000 times? :laugh1:

mmohican29

Reaction score
I feel bad for NFL defenses that play Romo and the Cowboys next year. My bet is he come out completely ablaze and maintains it through most of the season with just a few yips.

He feels like he let everyone down. Parcells will remind him not to press and to play smart. Romo will combine the personal motivation of the fumbled hold and the experience of a second year installment as starting QB and parlay these factors into a lights out season for everyone to remember.

This was a gaffe, but let's keep it in perspective.

Romo will be back and be VERY ready for next season. I promise you that. This might have been the best thing for him at this point in his career.

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
Personally, I don´t want to take this opportunity to trash on Romo as many in the post have already done. It´s over and done with. The game has been set in the books and we need to move on. I will, however, take this opportunity to thank Romo for saving our season and our butts from humiliation at the hands of an over-the-hill quarterback. Thank you Tony, work hard this offseason and take us farther next year.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
kojak;1300484 said:
It just proves that Romo shouldn't be the one who has to hold the ball for the fieldgoal attempt.

:rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
kojak;1300504 said:
Since when does your starting QB have to be the one holding the ball on Fg attemts? I thought backup's or tightends had that role. Look for a diffrent holder next year.

Well that is how this whole thing got started right? LOL

Romo was 3rd string... a holder.... he is catapulted into starting position... so we are reluctant to change... he was a victim of his own quick/unlikely success.... I mean this in a good way....

He will be fine.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1300512 said:
I don't think one has to mean the other. To me, Romo needs to evaluate the lessons learned and take from the as any good player would. Next time he's in that situation, and I'm not just talking about holding, he'll remember that moment. One single laps in concentration, that's what it was, cost dearly. Next time, his mind will be focused on the little things. In the NFL, it's the little things that are the difference makers to me.

For that single failure, he will be a much better player IMO.

Agreed.

It's not holding the snap that should be the focus. It's the incredible feeling of losing a game the team may have won (though I doubt it would have with 1 minute left, Hasselbeck at QB, our secondary and automatic Josh Brown).

That feeling is haunting, but can be a very motivating factor in dedicating one's self so that whatever may come or however we lose in the future, it won't be because of something I did or didn't do.

That's the take-away value Romo learns from this, whether he's holding next year or not - and I doubt he will.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
burmafrd;1300453 said:
No way he can be over confident or cocky now.
No way can he NOT be working his butt off from now through TC.
All the times BP was nagging at him like a housewife on the hubby taking out the garbage as regards holding onto the ball- none of that matches the impact of The Hold.

Uhm, ok.

I really hate these stupid posts that always come out after a loss. "This loss is exactly what we needed! We were over-confident! We learned a valuable lesson!"

BS. What you NEED is a freaking win.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
kojak;1300484 said:
It just proves that Romo shouldn't be the one who has to hold the ball for the fieldgoal attempt.

I believe he is/was the only starting quarterback to do so.

Which leads to this question: If your field goal kicker is your quarterback, why would you not have a play designed to be used in the event there is a fumbled snap, for the quarterback to call out a signal and have a designated receiver immediately bolt for the corner of the end zone?

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1300898 said:

Which leads to this question: If your field goal kicker is your quarterback, why would you not have a play designed to be used in the event there is a fumbled snap, for the quarterback to call out a signal and have a designated receiver immediately bolt for the corner of the end zone?

I've always thought that was a nice advantage to having him still be the holder - for those "just in case" times. However, that's probably a scenario they would never practice or be ready for....until now!

johnnyd

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been brought up yet , but i would love for Romo to be the holder in the pro-bowl , in fact i hope he insists on doing it. this way it helps him move on and get it out of his head ASAP.

And you just know all the other players and coaches will be getting on him and joking with him. best way to move on .. IMO ..

Also then all the clowns on ESPN will do a highlight bit with something not funny at all to say and finally shut the F up.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
I'm going to pi$$ everybody off by saying if a good QB is there for the taking in the 1st round (I'm not sure who it would be) we should take the guy as insurance that Romo is the real deal and will not let this game be the end of him ala Vanderjunk. If Romo pans out, we can always trade the guy later. If Romo doesn't, we can trade him to GB, where I think the system is designed for a QB such as he, and go w/ the new guy. I've always thought Romo would be a good replacement for Bret Favre moreso than Drew Bledsoe...

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1300898 said:

He barely had enough time to run. How the hell is he supposed to have time to make a playcall after he fumbles the snap?

burmafrd

Reaction score
For years, it was usually the backup QB who was the holder on pts and fgs- just in case something like that happened- also to leave the D thinking that there might be a fake involved. BUT that is the backup- not the starter. So romo will not be the holder next year; since bledsoe will be gone, its up to the boys to find someone else or have baker do it if we get a vet.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
FLcowboy;1300898 said:

The reason why that's impractical is because everyone on the field-goal kicking unit is blocking. The kicking team really doesn't see the field goal until players hear the roar of the crowd. If it's far enough a way they can probably look after they make their block and disengage from their opponent.

If you're kicking the ball at your 2 yard line, you barely have time to look up because you're too close to the goal.

That's why you didn't see a blocker/receiver running out on the play. By the time, they figured out what was going on, they didn't have enough time to disengage from the blocker and make it out to a pass pattern.

And to be quite honest, after the ball is snapped, there's so much busy activity going on, who's going to hear a "botched snap call" anyway? :confused:

It's easier said and theorized about than done.

zeromaster

Reaction score
As long as Romo learns from the bad, I can endure it. I was starting to worry that things like the low throws and fumbles were becoming part of his game because he was more concerned with making the play than the flaws that were starting to show up, especially protecting the ball. Sort of like pressing your bets too often at the craps table: it's going to bite you bad if you do it a lot.

I think he'll learn; his body language at the end of the game seemed to say he was aware of what he'd done. As long as he can tap into that to let the game come to him instead of forcing the issue, the experience will be worth it. Save the fancy stuff for when you really need it. If Bledsoe did in fact tell him to let it hurt for a little while, then even that in its way can be constructive.

You really find out about people when misfortune strikes. Anybody can be a hero during a winning streak; it's how you come back from the dog days that people will really remember.

SacredStar

Reaction score
I never really noticed Romo being cocky.

It's not losing the game that hurts, because, as many here said, chances were very good that Dallas would not go much further.....it's the way we lost that hurts.

This is second year in a row when Dallas was the better team in Seattle, led in the end, and choked in final minutes.