The future is not in the rear view mirror

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That first sentence says so much- “Loyalty has no place in the NFL”. Most of the teams winning Lombardis this century get that idea.

Having a soft hearted owner also serving as the “final say” on the roster is a really bad idea as the last qtr century has proven.
Depends on where your priorities are?

It still amazes me fans want to believe Jerry’s doing everything within his power to win . But yet we still hold everyone to that bar? Truly hypocritical!!

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Seems like I’ve seen a couple dozen topics this offseason about resigning some former Cowboy player of past glory....you know guys like-
  • Dez Bryant
  • David Irving
  • Even Jason Witten (the formerly great future HOFer who apparently hasn’t been watching film of his 2019 season)
Don’t get me wrong. Dez and Witt were great in their day. Witten an all time great. David Irving had loads of talent but couldn’t stay on the field (played in 37 games over 4 years) Those guys are in the rear view not the front view.

It even gets tiresome to see so much talk about getting a FA like Ndamakong Suh or some other former great signed in the offseason because we’ve heard of them.

Our future as a team is in the front view of the car, not the past. Every offseason, too many fans hold on to the idea that a player who used to be great is still worth keeping around because of their past, not their future. Despite age, injuries and Father Time taking their toll. The offseason is made for evaluating whether a player has as good a future as the past.

NFL front offices who are polishing their Lombardis from the last two decades usually cut a guy a year early instead of wasting cap space based on the past. New England, Pitts, GB, and many other contenders of the past decade don’t hold on to guys too long.

I would much rather see some younger talent that has a future brought in here than a guy whose best days are in the rear view mirror. Let’s keep our eyes on the road ahead.

I hear ya. Same can be said when fans are saying "bring back (so and so) to be our head coach. There's a reason they're not our head coach anymore...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone should be held to that bar including Jerry.
Of course but we really haven’t held him accountable.

Instead whether it’s direct or indirectly we’ve basically provided Jerry a stamp of approval to continue.

We should all be thankful to Aikman for calling Jerry out or he’d probably have continued to find an excuse to continue his foolishness with Garrett as it was obvious the public pressure actually forced his hand.

It’s a great illustration of the impact fans could have if we’d of stayed away as Jerry apparently reacts to public pressure and humiliation.

morat1959

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with the OP. This time last year, how many were screaming for Earl Thomas to be got? Too many.
That was only because we saw Heath for the upcoming season. I so hope he’s not a member of this team next season.

Big_D

Reaction score
Like Stephen said it's a never say never business. And that's true. With a cap and a lot of holes to fill you have to take risks to build a team of 53. I think Witten needs to go but I'm OK seeing what Dez and Irving can bring. Specially Irving since the D line is usually a major issue. Dez is working hard to get back on the field so we'll see where he ends up if not in Dallas.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The love for Dez shocks me. By the end of 2017 we were ready to run him out of Dallas on a rail (remember that game against Seattle?), and then he suffered an Achilles tear, probably the worst injury that can befall a WR, at 30 years old. He wasn't even in football last year.

And now people are like "Bring him back! Kick the tires! Make him the 4th WR!", and I don't get it. What makes you think he's even better than Cedrick Wilson at this point, besides memories of jump-ball TDs from 6 years ago?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with what you're doing here is your projecting your opinion as fact. We don't know what kind of shape or attitude Dez Bryant has right now, or what the front office is thinking on him as an addition. There is a chance that Dez is lighter and quicker and more focused than ever. If Dez is all of those things and is willing to be a third or fourth option you take a look period.

Also, a player with the talent of David Irving if you happened to retain the rights you would be foolish not to take a look. There is a reason that Irving and Gregory are still talked about on these forums Bob, and that is because they're very talented and young players. I don't smoke Pot, but fact of the matter is it's becoming legal in many states and the stigma of it being a bad drug is wearing off. If Irving and Gregory really want to compete and they get reinstated you take a look period.

Also, in regards to Witten, we know what he has to offer at this point and time and it's not much, but there are some major questions with some of these other guys. Lets not forget also that Dez Bryant is only 31 years old brother!!!! When I was in my early thirties I was in the best shape of my life! I had finally figured out a way to use my speed and athletic ability to become a great martial artist. I got my black belt when I was 34 and was at my absolute best physically and mentally. I think you need to pump the brakes on your judgements at this point man.
Actually, it’s just my opinion.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course but we really haven’t held him accountable.

Instead whether it’s direct or indirectly we’ve basically provided Jerry a stamp of approval to continue.

We should all be thankful to Aikman for calling Jerry out or he’d probably have continued to find an excuse to continue his foolishness with Garrett as it was obvious the public pressure actually forced his hand.

It’s a great illustration of the impact fans could have if we’d of stayed away as Jerry apparently reacts to public pressure and humiliation.

All "we" can really do is complain and hope that folks in the media read and amplify the message.

When Jerry built ATT as a monument to himself, he excluded the common fan with PSL prices that were extortionary. He sold most of the PSL's to big corporations which are now required as a condition of their PSL to buy season tickets. So, we can't effect Jerry with a boycott of games. All the seats are sold out even if nobody shows.

There is nothing we can do to hold Jerry accountable that will impact him in any significant way. He's made all the money he's ever going to need and thats just the way it is.

johneric8

Reaction score
Actually, it’s just my opinion.
I like your post Bob, but all due respect when you say things like "Our future as a team is in the front view of the car, not the past"
This is stated more aggressively than of a typical opinion. I do agree it's only an opinion, but as I said before, a blanket statement
like that is quite strong I think, especially when you consider all the players mentioned are unique in where they're at both mentally and physically.
You know how the old saying goes? You can't compare Apples to Oranges.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All "we" can really do is complain and hope that folks in the media read and amplify the message.

When Jerry built ATT as a monument to himself, he excluded the common fan with PSL prices that were extortionary. He sold most of the PSL's to big corporations which are now required as a condition of their PSL to buy season tickets. So, we can't effect Jerry with a boycott of games. All the seats are sold out even if nobody shows.

There is nothing we can do to hold Jerry accountable that will impact him in any significant way. He's made all the money he's ever going to need and thats just the way it is.
There are ways to express our dissatisfaction beyond stadium attendance. Merchandise , TV viewership , sponsors .

Our revenue shouldn’t be growing at the pace it is without the success.

Local fans have been doing their part. And I know all about his exclusion to us Diehards from Texas Stadium . I was one of the casualties. I still bless my decision to walk away.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score

Yep that last line says it all , its not like after every 8-8 season we can put him in the stocks and throw rotten vegetables at him for a few days . Saw him and his entire immediate family surrounding our new coach for something on the NFL channel , Its just like his whole family is part of the decision making for our team and none of them are the least bit qualified .

Jerry views our beloved team as some kind of family picnic that goes on 24-7 -365 that every member has to have a part in planing no matter if they have a clue or not . Beyond that you would think after 25 yrs of failure someone in that group would have learned something and got some type of football education to get us past the 1st round of the playoffs . Cant believe someone is so good at making money and so inept at building a football team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The love for Dez shocks me. By the end of 2017 we were ready to run him out of Dallas on a rail (remember that game against Seattle?), and then he suffered an Achilles tear, probably the worst injury that can befall a WR, at 30 years old. He wasn't even in football last year.

And now people are like "Bring him back! Kick the tires! Make him the 4th WR!", and I don't get it. What makes you think he's even better than Cedrick Wilson at this point, besides memories of jump-ball TDs from 6 years ago?
Well said. The idea that at this point Dez Bryant would be worth a roster spot as a 4th WR is a misunderstanding of developing roster talent. Bringing in a 31 year old (32 in Nov) injury riddled WR who hasn’t played a down of NFL football in 2 years is just plain fan crazy.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep that last line says it all , its not like after every 8-8 season we can put him in the stocks and throw rotten vegetables at him for a few days . Saw him and his entire immediate family surrounding our new coach for something on the NFL channel , Its just like his whole family is part of the decision making for our team and none of them are the least bit qualified .

Jerry views our beloved team as some kind of family picnic that goes on 24-7 -365 that every member has to have a part in planing no matter if they have a clue or not . Beyond that you would think after 25 yrs of failure someone in that group would have learned something and got some type of football education to get us past the 1st round of the playoffs . Cant believe someone is so good at making money and so inept at building a football team.

Yep,
Your post here along with Atlanta's and DieHards are all accurate. The cultural phenomena that is The Jones Family Cowboys is forever tainted.

It is not going away. The anti-anything negative clan frowns upon the always gloom, doom and despair posts in this forum.

But the truth of the matter is the only thing that ever seems to change are the actors and their roles(the players and coaches)in this never ending re-run series.

Otherwise, this long running NFL sit com has outstanding ratings and continues to be a smashing success. Just ask it's Executive Producer...Uncle Jerrah.

Last edited: