The future of the Dallas Cowboys

fivetwos

Reaction score
Really, that's what I thought in 1989 until I witnessed a consistent level of improvement during the following two seasons. Honestly, I was willing to accept an unsuccessful team for a while. After 20 straight seasons of winning I saw the Law of Averages too and figured it would only be fair. However, after 1991 I was thinking, "Tu Hall with fair! Super Bowl or bust!"

In their first 35 seasons the Cowboys were habitual criminals in the way they defied and defiled the Law of Averages.
They will indeed eventually lose the vast national following they have over time if this keeps up.

Jerry will never feel and and we may not see much of it, but they can't keep this charade up forever, and I'm kinda stunned they are able to get away with it now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It is good to be the king? His team his rules.

So how many years do you think Tom deserved? The team sucked after Jimmy took over. However in year 2 he showed major improvement. Tom did not show any in 3 years and the team continued on a downward trend.
and the ownership was near bankruptcy i like how all this gets overlooked and how much jerry saved the franchise regardless of whats happened since 1996..

3 Sbs and not only that but the most valuable football team in the nfl now but top 5 sports franchise in the entire World..

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Bucs won more playoff games last year than we have won in the last 25 years COMBINED!!!! It is no longer embarassing....it is actually exhausting to even talk about!!
Wow your right lol.
That is pretty bad !

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They will indeed eventually lose the vast national following they have over time if this keeps up.

Jerry will never feel and and we may not see much of it, but they can't keep this charade up forever, and I'm kinda stunned they are able to get away with it now.
people in general are stupid, they forget, and they always have hope.
every year they think this is the year, then it isnt, they forget, start to hope, and cycle repeats.

plasticman

Reaction score
2 things lol
do you think landry would have got along with jerry ?? :omg:
and the owner was the one who demanded new owner fire landry. it was part of why jerry got the team.
Bum Bright didn't care if Jerry fired Landry. Why should he? It wasn't going to be his team any more. Bum Bright offered to fire Landry for Jerry if need be in order to sell the team. Jerry insisted he would only buy the team if he could bring in a coach of his choosing..

This is where we see that Jerry started his relationship with Cowboy fans with a lie....many, in fact, but I'll focus on this one. In his very first press conference after buying the team Jerry described how he is a huge Cowboy fan. He had just fired the only HC the Cowboys ever had, one of the most iconic coaches in NFL history. This showed that Jerry did not understand the NFL game, the value of Landry's contributions to that game, and the concept or depth of fan loyalty. He still doesn't to this day.

Just about every penny of the billions Jerry has made with the Cowboys are a direct result of the legacy, the history, the mystique, the winning tradition all brought about by Tom Landry and the culture he created within the Cowboy franchise. He wasn't alone but he was the face of a dynasty that produced 20 consecutive winning seasons, ten conference championship appearances, five Super Bowl appearances and two Super Bowl rings.

Does anyone really believe the Cowboys lead in sales due to the really cool star design? The genius marketing strategy? The cheerleaders?

And here is another quirk in the Law of Averages:

Consider there are 32 teams in the NFL. The Law of Averages say that the "average" team over a course of 32 years will win a Super Bowl. Therefore, even if the Cowboys do win a single Super Bowl before 2027, it merely satisfies the Law of Averages thus confirming the Cowboys dedication to mediocrity.

How is Jerry able to keep the charade up?

When something has been built with such a strong foundation, it will withstand the hits better and last far longer.....but, to your point, not forever.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bum Bright didn't care if Jerry fired Landry. Why should he? It wasn't going to be his team any more. Bum Bright offered to fire Landry for Jerry if need be in order to sell the team. Jerry insisted he would only buy the team if he could bring in a coach of his choosing..
So who started the story about bum wanted new owner to fire landry? I have never seen anyone dispute that except you.
Jerry insisted he would only buy the team if he could bring in a coach of his choosing...... this doesnt make sense, any time someone buys a
nfl team it is a given they can bring in a new HC if they want , which they almost always do, so I dont see why jerry would have to insist on that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So who started the story about bum wanted new owner to fire landry? I have never seen anyone dispute that except you.
Jerry insisted he would only buy the team if he could bring in a coach of his choosing...... this doesnt make sense, any time someone buys a
nfl team it is a given they can bring in a new HC if they want , which they almost always do, so I dont see why jerry would have to insist on that.
well the story may have got slightly twisted but i imagine it blossomed from the Old regime sayifg they only would sell if Landry was retained for a X amount of years..Jerry most likely countered with that wont happen take it or leave it.."Im bring in my own coach if you sell to me."

I can definitely see that conversation as reality..the old regime wanting Landry retained and Jerry opposing it..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over, but expecting different results. Dallas took the same approach to the offseason as they have taken the last several offseasons. It would be insanity to expect some kind of drastic change in the results. Putting aside the cheerleading fans and their unrealistic positive expectations, nobody in their right mind should expect this season to be be any different than last season or the season before.

So we should expect to lose smith, Collins, dak, Frederick, Martin, our starting TE, DT’s, LVE, Lee, corners, Gregory?

Should we also expect no preseason games, offseason programs? Should expect to lose our backup qb also for 2 games.

And you said the last two years.......why not the last 5 years?