The future of the Dallas Cowboys

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Time has changed culture has changed the past is over . don't take the current sport industry seriously it is nothing but a reality show
Truth bomb. Well said Fonz. You don't get money by winning titles. You get money by being famous and by staying relevant. The show is what happens all week long. The game on Sunday is just something they have to tolerate.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Because of your hatred for Jones, you can't see things that don't add up with your thinking. Jones was very instrumental in the Cowboys winning the 3 Super Bowls in the 90's. Proof was in the pregame round table discussion on Super Bowl XLV in Dallas. In that discussion with Aikman, Johnston, Emmitt, Irvin, Jones and Johnson where Johnson admitted he didn't have all the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. It also came out that in his first 2 drafts Jones over ruled him on who he initially wanted to take with their first picks. In 1989 Johnson originally wanted to take Tony Mandarich with the first pick and Jones over ruled him and the Cowboys took Aikman. Johnson had a problem with Aikman because he turned down Johnson on a scholarship when Aikman transferred from OU to UCLA and then in 1990 Johnson convinced Jones to trade up to take James Francis a LB and about 2 minutes after the trade was completed the begals took Francis. So Johnson then wanted to take LB Tony Bennett and jones said no and over ruled him and the Cowboys took Emmitt.. So because of Jones 2 out of the 3 triplets came to Dallas, Irvin was already there the year before Jones bought the team.

Your what if with what if the Cowboys had beaten the giants and gotten into the playoffs by no means in any stretch of anyone's imagination was a guarantee the Cowboys would have gotten to the Super Bowl and beaten the patriots. There would have been no guarantee the Cowboys would have beaten the falcons then packers in Green Bay and then the 49er in Frisco. I wish it would have happened and even though there have been things that Jones has done that I really don't like, I don't disregard all the things that Jones has done that helped the Cowboys. I also don't let those things that Jones has done cloud me from the fact that there are former Cowboys players and coaches that have said they've never been around an owner that wants to win as bad or as much as Jones does and that he was always working on building a winning team.

The huge difference between me and people like you is I know to continually whine about Jones and doing your what ifs will not change a single thing except grow negativity towards the Cowboys. Because neither Jerry or Stephen read a single thing here all of the negative comments will not change a single thing you want changed. All the negative comments do is show those who are fans of other teams that the Cowboys have fans just like the eagles and most people think the eagles have the worse fans in sports.
I dont hate the Joneses . I hate that they are inept at their jobs . I hate that they are too proud to hire the best coaches and team builders in the business. I hate that we are now a carnival act the laughing stock of the NFL when at one time when Tom Landry and Roger Staubach led this team we were the elite of the industry and a team everyone aspired to be .

We agree on one thing all the whining and complaining in the world wont make a damn bit of difference even if Jerry did read this forum . If the blatant fact that he watched the Eagles turn their team around in record time while overcoming the adversity of losing their starting QB to win a SB didnt light a fire under his *** and get him with the program nothing in our lifetime will .

fivetwos

Reaction score
After 20 consecutive years of winning. Tom Landry earned time to rebuild the Cowboys and he would have done exactly that. I'm not saying he would have matched Jimmy Johnson's results and it's true that what Jimmy did was fantastic. Even so, Tom Landry deserved better.

It was no secret that Landry was going to draft Troy Aikman. They already had Michael Irvin. Tom Landry was even working on a new defense. Landry had planned on staying two more seasons.

Tom Landry was called old and it was said the game had passed him by.

B.S.!

Half of what we still see today when we watch an NFL game was invented by Tom Landry. He would have changed the game before he let it pass him by.

Tom Landry was fired 6 years after the last time he led them to an NFC championship game.

How old is that hypocrite that calls himself a GM? When was the last time the Cowboy played in an NFC championship game?
People forget exactly how many Landry guys were part of those 90s teams.

Tuinei, Newton, Gogan, Irvin, Martin, Jeffcoat, Hennings, Norton, Bates...

Oh and one small genius move....Hershel Walker for a 5th round pick.

Problem was his first round picks between Tony Hill in 77 and Irvin in 88 with one exception were busts or traded for John Dutton.

That'll catch up to anyone eventually.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I dont hate the Joneses . I hate that they are inept at their jobs . I hate that they are too proud to hire the best coaches and team builders in the business. I hate that we are now a carnival act the laughing stock of the NFL when at one time when Tom Landry and Roger Staubach led this team we were the elite of the industry and a team everyone aspired to be .

We agree on one thing all the whining and complaining in the world wont make a damn bit of difference even if Jerry did read this forum . If the blatant fact that he watched the Eagles turn their team around in record time while overcoming the adversity of losing their starting QB to win a SB didnt light a fire under his *** and get him with the program nothing in our lifetime will .

You forget somethings and distorted other things. First under Jones ownership and being GM the Cowboys won more Super Bowls than coach Landry did. Second, yes Foles stepped in and the eagles won the Super Bowl but you forget that Foles was a starting QB once before with the eagles and was signed to be one again by another team after that Super Bowl and then by another team after that. You're making it sound like the eagles won a Super Bowl with like a rookie QB. You just sound like you would be much happier if you found a different team to follow. What you're demanding is perfection and there are no perfect GM's or coaches. THEY ALL MAKE MISTAKES. I'm done arguing with you especially you say one thing and contradict that by saying something else. Don't bother to reply I'll just ignore it.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
DOPE That would be an IDIOT that continually violates the substance policy of their employer and squanders a promising career .

Sorry Cheech didnt mean to hit a nerve LOLOL
Nice try. Not even CLOSE to the context in which you used it.

Love the 12 year olds use of "LOLOL".

Grow up.

Blackrain

Reaction score
You forget somethings and distorted other things. First under Jones ownership and being GM the Cowboys won more Super Bowls than coach Landry did. Second, yes Foles stepped in and the eagles won the Super Bowl but you forget that Foles was a starting QB once before with the eagles and was signed to be one again by another team after that Super Bowl and then by another team after that. You're making it sound like the eagles won a Super Bowl with like a rookie QB. You just sound like you would be much happier if you found a different team to follow. What you're demanding is perfection and there are no perfect GM's or coaches. THEY ALL MAKE MISTAKES. I'm done arguing with you especially you say one thing and contradict that by saying something else. Don't bother to reply I'll just ignore it.
Yes Jerry won in a time when you could just throw money at problems . Now with the cap you have to have a much better strategy . I'm not demanding perfection just progress. You are done arguing because you have no argument just excuses for the proven fact that we do not have enough talent in our front office to build a team capable of contending for a SB .

I still love my Cowboys ,I just dont like the fact we dont have the talent off the field in coaching or the front office to compete at the highest level and its never made a priority to fix it . I can still love my team and adjust my expectations to meet the talent level of our front office .

Blackrain

Reaction score
Nice try. Not even CLOSE to the context in which you used it.

Love the 12 year olds use of "LOLOL".

Grow up.
Great the dope head telling me to grow up . Take another hit and just chill there Spicoli .

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Great the dope head telling me to grow up . Take another hit and just chill there Spicoli .

Brilliant!!!

Hey everyone! I FOUND Karen!! She's not just an urban legend!!

Right under our noses...... small world, huh?

You show me where I stated I smoked weed.......

DO IT. I DARE YOU! DO IT, FOOL.

Damp cloths work best for removing egg....... grampa.

Reaction score
Fans under 30 don't remember the Cowboys playing in a Super Bowl. The luster will fade as us older fans pass away.

No lie. I was 13 the last time they won a Super Bowl and the whole thing is starting to not really matter to me anymore. I love this team. Love them. I just do not see anything getting better until we all know what needs to happen happens.

plasticman

Reaction score
People forget exactly how many Landry guys were part of those 90s teams.

Tuinei, Newton, Gogan, Irvin, Martin, Jeffcoat, Hennings, Norton, Bates...

Oh and one small genius move....Hershel Walker for a 5th round pick.

Problem was his first round picks between Tony Hill in 77 and Irvin in 88 with one exception were busts or traded for John Dutton.

That'll catch up to anyone eventually.
We should add in a little bad luck, back to back season ending injuries to Mike Sherrard, career ending injury after a few games into his rookie season for Billy Cannon Jr.

It wasn't so much poor drafting, every team has players that don't work out.

We have to consider that 20 consecutive winning seasons imply 20 consecutive years of drafting in the bottom third. That is what will catch up with you.

Reaction score
All true...but the biggest thing holding this team back is its culture. As soft as a roll of Charmin and entitled as someone named Spalding. Make this culture- its players, coaches and entire organization tougher and more accountable, and we have a chance. You could bring in 10 HOFers at multiple positions, but until this culture toughens up- I hate to say it- I don’t expect much to change.

Isn't that the saddest thing about this all?

fivetwos

Reaction score
We should add in a little bad luck, back to back season ending injuries to Mike Sherrard, career ending injury after a few games into his rookie season for Billy Cannon Jr.

It wasn't so much poor drafting, every team has players that don't work out.

We have to consider that 20 consecutive winning seasons imply 20 consecutive years of drafting in the bottom third. That is what will catch up with you.
Well yeah....even if I thought Coach stopped knowing what he was doing I wouldn't dare say it !!

For several reasons, he didn't have those players on the field and it definitely showed.

No disrespect to that man ever.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Been here since 1975 myself
I think the fans would really turn on Jerry if we got really bad, like a couple of 4 and 12 seasons.
We have been just relevant enough to keep Jerry off the hot seat.

We had those 3 straight 5 and 11 seasons under Campo
Forced Jerry to hire a real coach in Parcells
The thing about those teams was they they played under heavy pressure to win having repeatedly failed the years before. Our team has always responsive after a few years of abuse from the media. The 60s team had to overcome losing to Nart Starr and the Packers..the 70s teams had to lose to Balitmore and and Cleveland every year before Staubach came and he lead the return to elite status. Aikman did it in the 90s. Dak has to step up and win now. There is not alot of time in his career. Last year shortened his career more than he will realize until 2021 is over.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The thing about those teams was they they played under heavy pressure to win having repeatedly failed the years before. Our team has always responsive after a few years of abuse from the media. The 60s team had to overcome losing to Nart Starr and the Packers..the 70s teams had to lose to Balitmore and and Cleveland every year before Staubach came and he lead the return to elite status. Aikman did it in the 90s. Dak has to step up and win now. There is not alot of time in his career. Last year shortened his career more than he will realize until 2021 is over.
Thanks red ball

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Don't root for The Cowboys for the rings. the rings are a bonus. Talk about the serenity prayer! Not one person on here can change one thing about the Boyz. But carry on Whine, complain about something you can't change

Blackrain

Reaction score
Brilliant!!!

Hey everyone! I FOUND Karen!! She's not just an urban legend!!

Right under our noses...... small world, huh?

You show me where I stated I smoked weed.......

DO IT. I DARE YOU! DO IT, FOOL.

Damp cloths work best for removing egg....... grampa.

Geez maybe next you will double dare me . What a hoot these snowflakes get so worked up. take a puff and relax Kitty Kat

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Must admit as a British guy who started following the Boys due to some work I was doing for am insurance firm in Fort Worth in 81( they sent me a cheerleaders calendar) and first saw the Boys in 86 in London against the Bears in a pre season game but has spent a lot of cash seeing them since, my expectations are long gone. I still love the idea of the Dallas Cowboys but it's a diferrent time and the Boys are really on the field just another franchise these days. A franchise that attracts huge news, clicks and for now TV audiences but another few years of nothing and that will wane.
I used to be excited for the season and relatively positive but after 25 years of mostly mediocrity it's tough to find the enthusiasm.
We will probably win a poor East but this team is a mile away from anything else.

Praxit

Reaction score
....following the puck the last number of years......... that might be the forecast. Until extreme changes come around.

plasticman

Reaction score
Fans under 30 don't remember the Cowboys playing in a Super Bowl. The luster will fade as us older fans pass away.
Really, that's what I thought in 1989 until I witnessed a consistent level of improvement during the following two seasons. Honestly, I was willing to accept an unsuccessful team for a while. After 20 straight seasons of winning I saw the Law of Averages too and figured it would only be fair. However, after 1991 I was thinking, "Tu Hall with fair! Super Bowl or bust!"

In their first 35 seasons the Cowboys were habitual criminals in the way they defied and defiled the Law of Averages.

catiii

Reaction score
After 20 consecutive years of winning. Tom Landry earned time to rebuild the Cowboys and he would have done exactly that. I'm not saying he would have matched Jimmy Johnson's results and it's true that what Jimmy did was fantastic. Even so, Tom Landry deserved better.

It was no secret that Landry was going to draft Troy Aikman. They already had Michael Irvin. Tom Landry was even working on a new defense. Landry had planned on staying two more seasons.

Tom Landry was called old and it was said the game had passed him by.

B.S.!

Half of what we still see today when we watch an NFL game was invented by Tom Landry. He would have changed the game before he let it pass him by.

Tom Landry was fired 6 years after the last time he led them to an NFC championship game.

How old is that hypocrite that calls himself a GM? When was the last time the Cowboy played in an NFC championship game?
Preach!!! :thumbup: