The good and the bad

Sydla

Reaction score
Game Plan (Contrast Giants & Rams games)
  • Their game plan against the Giants was to focus on the run, not on pass rushing.
    • The results were 1 big run play by Barkley and not much else in the 1st half.
  • They came into the Rams game with a game plan to focus on the pass and pass rushing.
    • The results were a bloodbath with regards to defending the run.
LB
  • LB was an issue in both games.
  • The young LBs make a lot of great plays but they still have plays where they're out of position.
  • LVE appeared to be out of position on the big run by Barkley.
  • The Safety Woods got boxed out but a Safety should not "own" a gap.
  • The gaps should be covered by the DL and LBs with the Safeties in a clean up role.

I was surprised the Giants didn't just force feed the ball to Barkley.......... runs, screens, etc............. Some of those third and fourth down calls were peculiar.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I kept asking myself, "where are our linebackers?" I know it is just game one but let's hope they address the open holes.
I felt the same.

Was it just an incredibly slow start? They seemed to be picking up more as the game progressed. Or was it because it was "tee off garbage time"? Only time will tell.

I was fairly upset when LVE seemingly got toasted by Engram, though if I remember correctly, that's Engrams strong suit.

Sydla

Reaction score
I felt the same.

Was it just an incredibly slow start? They seemed to be picking up more as the game progressed. Or was it because it was "tee off garbage time"? Only time will tell.

I was fairly upset when LVE seemingly got toasted by Engram, though if I remember correctly, that's Engrams strong suit.

They just seemed out of place. Smith was out of position on a few runs and a screen pass. LVE was out of position, it appears on Barkley's big run, and he totally got fooled on the Engram TD.

They'll clean it up, I am sure. But for one game, our LBs should probably get a nice C grade.

John813

Reaction score
I felt the same.

Engram IMO is just a large receiver playing TE.
Ran a 4.42 at the combine and is a good athlete, aka not just a guy who can run fast in a straight line

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree our DL didn't have a good game but I'm not sure it was as bad it appears. I think a lot of it had to do playing against Barkley. Kinda like playing against Barry Sander and telling your DLmen not to over pursuit, especially knowing he's at least 70%+ of their offense. Other words, don't worry about Eli and sacks, let keep Barkley under control. When I consider this and the fact they had over 200 garbage/come from behind yards, I'm not too concern.