The good and the bad

JohnBoy

Reaction score
He took advantage of what NY was giving him and called plays accordingly. Man, Linehan never did that. It was great to see.

That sure is what it looked like. Hope that remains true. Also hope it generates the same results: W's!!

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Heath did ok, nothing great, nothing horrible. I also think he was playing injured, though not anything bad.
Jason Garrett was just on the Fan, and asked about any injuries to be concerned about. He said no, but Heath was banged up a few times but played through it. And will be fine, not anything to be concerned with.

When asked about Martin, he said he is fine, he had not practiced and was getting back into it. They wanted to limit his snaps later in the game and Su'a-filo filled in nicely for him.

I figured once they got up big they were going to give Martin rest.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Jamón con huevos

s2DWEne.gif

Lineham??? Jamon con Huevos?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hell of a lot better than their DL but then the Cowboys wasn't anything to write home about.
I think our D line looked better when the starters took reps in preseason. And, it wasn't bad last night either. Not even close to bad. manning got sacked and also got hurried and hit. we got turnovers and other than one breakaway run Barkley was contained.
I'm very happy with the opener, all things considered.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The good seems pretty obvious:

1) Dak was pretty much flawless. A few passes early that were behind guys but once he found his groove, he was great.

2) Moore. For one game, at least, he was impressive as first time play caller. We did things we rarely did under Marinelli......... more throws on first down, attack the middle of the field with slants and deeper in routes.

3) The OL protected Dak. Yes they struggled a bit in the run game but overall, they played well. Now the Giants aren't going to dazzle you with their pass rush skills, but you can only block what they throw at you and the Cowboys stonewalled the Giants.

4) The triplets. No, not Elliott, Dak, Cooper. Cooper, Gallup and Cobb. If yesterday was any indication and those guys stay healthy, they are going to be a pain in the *** to cover. All three are versatile and can run.

5) Lawrence. People will no doubt point to zero sacks but he was active all game long.

6) He's long been my whipping boy and he will continue to be my whipping boy, but it's only fair to give him credit when he plays well. After a few early game head slaps, Heath played well, especially in coverage. I wouldn't count on him doing it every week, but at least for yesterday, he played well.

The bad:

1) The pass rush was "ehhh". Not much different than previous years when we were just an average pass rush team. Lawrence played well but not much else. Armstrong had a couple of decent rushes but the others? Let's hope things change when Quinn comes back.

2) I still have concerns about the DT position. They got pushed around a bit at times. Collins had a couple of plays where you saw his explosiveness but I thought he'd more of a factor in the passing game. Hill being inactive is just sad. Yes, people will say it's too early to judge but when your 2nd round DT can't even get game active and you only activate 3 DTs, whew.

3) I thought the LB was not very good at times during that game. Maybe it's because I have high expectations but LVE and Smith both had some real slap them in the back of the head moments.

All in all, a nice first game. One of the most fascinating and interesting story lines heading into this season was the whole Kellen Moore situation. I think many people, those who were pro-hire and those who thought it was a real risk to hire him (myself included) where nonetheless completely intrigued by this. After one game, it certainly looks like a home run.

Game Plan (Contrast Giants & Rams games)
  • Their game plan against the Giants was to focus on the run, not on pass rushing.
    • The results were 1 big run play by Barkley and not much else in the 1st half.
  • They came into the Rams game with a game plan to focus on the pass and pass rushing.
    • The results were a bloodbath with regards to defending the run.
LB
  • LB was an issue in both games.
  • The young LBs make a lot of great plays but they still have plays where they're out of position.
  • LVE appeared to be out of position on the big run by Barkley.
  • The Safety Woods got boxed out but a Safety should not "own" a gap.
  • The gaps should be covered by the DL and LBs with the Safeties in a clean up role.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

1) Dak was pretty much flawless. A few passes early that were behind guys but once he found his groove, he was great.
he had a bit of nerves, as its first game of season, but then he started to trust his mechanics, trust the play call and let it work for him.....you could see his confidence grow during the game.
2) Moore. For one game, at least, he was impressive as first time play caller. We did things we rarely did under Marinelli......... more throws on first down, attack the middle of the field with slants and deeper in routes.

I liked what I saw. different route combinations to create an open player, WRs running down the seam deep and players running slants and crossing patterns and TEs running patterns to force the safties and all in all, creating an open player somewhere. once Dak settled and started to look for his second and third options (compared to earlier in the game when he had his target and was just going to go there), then things opened up. we attacked all 9 passing zones effectively.
3) The OL protected Dak. Yes they struggled a bit in the run game but overall, they played well. Now the Giants aren't going to dazzle you with their pass rush skills, but you can only block what they throw at you and the Cowboys stonewalled the Giants.

I was surprised the OL struggled a bit running the ball. but I also think zeke was not in sorts with the OL. the rhythm just wasn't there. sometime holes were there, but zeke was just a step too late and would get caught up in the wash.
4) The triplets. No, not Elliott, Dak, Cooper. Cooper, Gallup and Cobb. If yesterday was any indication and those guys stay healthy, they are going to be a pain in the *** to cover. All three are versatile and can run.

5) Lawrence. People will no doubt point to zero sacks but he was active all game long.

we rushed with 4 most of the game and dropped a lot into coverage. Giants were protecting with extra man and often had 6 to protect. it was a small chess match, we will protect Eli and give him time and we said, we will drop 6 into coverage and lets see if we can put pressure. we didn't get sacks, but put pressure, enough pressure to limit their big plays.
6) He's long been my whipping boy and he will continue to be my whipping boy, but it's only fair to give him credit when he plays well. After a few early game head slaps, Heath played well, especially in coverage. I wouldn't count on him doing it every week, but at least for yesterday, he played well.

The bad:

1) The pass rush was "ehhh". Not much different than previous years when we were just an average pass rush team. Lawrence played well but not much else. Armstrong had a couple of decent rushes but the others? Let's hope things change when Quinn comes back.

2) I still have concerns about the DT position. They got pushed around a bit at times. Collins had a couple of plays where you saw his explosiveness but I thought he'd more of a factor in the passing game. Hill being inactive is just sad. Yes, people will say it's too early to judge but when your 2nd round DT can't even get game active and you only activate 3 DTs, whew.

3) I thought the LB was not very good at times during that game. Maybe it's because I have high expectations but LVE and Smith both had some real slap them in the back of the head moments.

All in all, a nice first game. One of the most fascinating and interesting story lines heading into this season was the whole Kellen Moore situation. I think many people, those who were pro-hire and those who thought it was a real risk to hire him (myself included) where nonetheless completely intrigued by this. After one game, it certainly looks like a home run.

aria

Reaction score
I think NYs O line is much better than some realize.
Not based on every game I saw them play in pre season, they got pushed around a lot, especially vs Cincinnati. That’s not to say they won’t improve though. Their only true upgrade was Zeitler. Halapio was a wash, right tackle is a slight upgrade which isn’t saying much since their last RT is now on the practice squad or released IIRC. LT has been average at best and was ranked as one of the worst LT’s through the first half of last season.

Time will tel though, I don’t put much stock into the first game.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think our D line looked better when the starters took reps in preseason. And, it wasn't bad last night either. Not even close to bad. manning got sacked and also got hurried and hit. we got turnovers and other than one breakaway run Barkley was contained.
I'm very happy with the opener, all things considered.

The defensive line was bad last night. Barely any pressure put on eli the statue. 1 sack. one fumble was daniel jones with his version of the butt fumble.

TheGoat73

Reaction score

The bad:

Week 1 data just went into the Kellen Moore tendency chart. Week 1 of film study is being prepared for Tuesday.

Kellen will have a back to earth moment this season. Let’s not panic when it happens.

But, this was an auspicious start. My favorite thing was that we didn’t become conservative once we had the lead. We stepped on the gas. That cleared out one of my biggest gripes.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
An interesting thing about the pass rush is the fact Taco was a healthy scratch and it appears he played pretty good during the preseason but I guess they weren't impressed.