CFZ The Good Guys

plasticman

Reaction score
My football hero growing up was Roger Staubach. I was always impressed with the fact that he graduated from a military academy and then served his six year commitment with four of those years assigned to Vietnam.

Of course, we all know the story, four SB's,. two championships, leading passer for four seasons, All Pro, Pro Bowler, HOF, etc, etc.

As far as his personal life was concerned, Roger was squeaky clean. He was married, a family man. Roger Staubach' character was so respected that he was offered several opportunities to enter politics, which he declined. Instead, he built a real estate business and is recognized as the ex-NFL player with the mist financial success in a non-football related field.

Another example of his high moral character came when he was compared to New York Jet playboy quarterback, Joe Namath. Roger responded that he likes sex too, he just does it with only one woman, his wife.

Roger was a strict catholic and a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, as was his HC, Tom Landry.

Landry was also ex-military. At the age of 19 he was a 2nd LT and co-pilot for a bomber that flew 30 missions in Europe during World War 2.

The Cowboys have always had strong ties with the military and its veterans beginning with their very first starting quarterback, Eddie Lebaron, or the Little General. true, he was small in stature and he was a "field general" as a quarterback but he r3ceived the nickname for another reason. During the Korean war he was a LT. who led his team out of an ambush. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

I'm not saying every Dallas Cowboy has been a Saint, they have had their share of
embarrassments but Roger Staubach was never one. He was the kind of guy that you hoped your son would pattern his life after.

This has been on my mind lately as I follow the legal issues of DeShaun Watson, the face of the Cleveland Browns. Legally, he is innocent before proven guilty but I'm not accusing him of sexual assault although he is most likely guilty on more than one occasion. Instead, I'm accusing him of poor judgement, disrespecting his team and their fans

Winning as the good guys matter. Truth be told, it is the basis of the Cowboys being called America's team. Fans want to love their favorite players and it is so much easier, when that player is successful on the field while his off-field demeanor is worthy of such admiration.

Dak is a good guy. I feel so bad for Browns fans. Even is Watson won three Super Bowls it will take away some of the satisfaction knowing your QB behaved so badly off the field.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
As bad as Watson has been, if he won 3 SBs Browns fans would praise him and want to put up a Bronze statue of the guy. I doubt they would actually care about his prior conduct. Heck maybe even only after one SB. They would feel he has paid his dues, literally, and would start off with a clean slate in Cleveland.

As for Roger, he is one of a kind. Amazing man, and athlete.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My football hero growing up was Roger Staubach. I was always impressed with the fact that he graduated from a military academy and then served his six year commitment with four of those years assigned to Vietnam.

Of course, we all know the story, four SB's,. two championships, leading passer for four seasons, All Pro, Pro Bowler, HOF, etc, etc.

As far as his personal life was concerned, Roger was squeaky clean. He was married, a family man. Roger Staubach' character was so respected that he was offered several opportunities to enter politics, which he declined. Instead, he built a real estate business and is recognized as the ex-NFL player with the mist financial success in a non-football related field.

Another example of his high moral character came when he was compared to New York Jet playboy quarterback, Joe Namath. Roger responded that he likes sex too, he just does it with only one woman, his wife.

Roger was a strict catholic and a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, as was his HC, Tom Landry.

Landry was also ex-military. At the age of 19 he was a 2nd LT and co-pilot for a bomber that flew 30 missions in Europe during World War 2.

The Cowboys have always had strong ties with the military and its veterans beginning with their very first starting quarterback, Eddie Lebaron, or the Little General. true, he was small in stature and he was a "field general" as a quarterback but he r3ceived the nickname for another reason. During the Korean war he was a LT. who led his team out of an ambush. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

I'm not saying every Dallas Cowboy has been a Saint, they have had their share of
embarrassments but Roger Staubach was never one. He was the kind of guy that you hoped your son would pattern his life after.

This has been on my mind lately as I follow the legal issues of DeShaun Watson, the face of the Cleveland Browns. Legally, he is innocent before proven guilty but I'm not accusing him of sexual assault although he is most likely guilty on more than one occasion. Instead, I'm accusing him of poor judgement, disrespecting his team and their fans

Winning as the good guys matter. Truth be told, it is the basis of the Cowboys being called America's team. Fans want to love their favorite players and it is so much easier, when that player is successful on the field while his off-field demeanor is worthy of such admiration.

Dak is a good guy. I feel so bad for Browns fans. Even is Watson won three Super Bowls it will take away some of the satisfaction knowing your QB behaved so badly off the field.

And what is so bad about Watson? That he tried for some happy endings during a private massage? Non issue for me.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Win a SB, all is good. That is what fans want.
I think many fans, feel what a player does (outside of being violent) don't really care as long as they play great on the field.
Though there are the fans that feel they need to act holier than thou over even minor things.

I did not like TO, hated him sort of. When he became a Cowboy, hell yes I rooted for him. Once he was gone, it was good riddance, Hope you do not have any success on the field with your next team.
Off the field I didn't care, success or not. I do not know them, it does not effect me, so I am not concerned.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Boring...

Romo, Sean Lee, Frederick, etc. were good guys...

fivetwos

Reaction score

I signed up as a kid for class acts like Staubach and Landry.

Now I'm stuck with the Jerry Jones ego and nepotism show as a result.

And people around here get upset when I express how I can't stand that man with a serious passion.

And the fact that I'm back and hopeful every single season is why he can't lose. Well, intimidating and buying the media can't hurt either.....

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I signed up as a kid for class acts like Staubach and Landry.

Now I'm stuck with the Jerry Jones ego and nepotism show as a result.

And people around here get upset when I express how I can't stand that man with a serious passion.

And the fact that I'm back and hopeful every single season is why he can't lose. Well, intimidating and buying the media can't hurt either.....

A few members here really believe that Jerry gets a lifetime pass because of 3 super bowl wins almost 30 years ago. Al Davis won it a few times too, and how well was he liked near the end of his life? Jerry deserves the same treatment Al got and more. At least Al never went almost 30 years between AFCCG appearances.

acr731

Reaction score
Roy thinks this way?

Color me shocked.

I wonder how Dak's fan club would be handling this if were Dak instead of Watson. They seem to be OK with Dak condoning violence against refs, so I guess they would give him a pass on something like that too.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few members here really believe that Jerry gets a lifetime pass because of 3 super bowl wins almost 30 years ago. Al Davis won it a few times too, and how well was he liked near the end of his life? Jerry deserves the same treatment Al got and more. At least Al never went almost 30 years between AFCCG appearances.
A few fans here don't appreciate anything....go follow the Texans, Titans etc.....what have they won....but, I'm sure they have ingrate fans too

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
A few fans here don't appreciate anything....go follow the Texans, Titans etc.....what have they won....but, I'm sure they have ingrate fans too
What have they won?

More playoff games than the Cowboys in the past 26 years.

acr731

Reaction score
A few fans here don't appreciate anything....

How do you watch the game - do you watch just for the entertainment value and don't care if the team goes 1-16 or 16-1? If that's the kind of fan you are, so be it. I have no problem with that, but I prefer the competition and winning more that the entertainment value. When I watch other teams play - that's strictly for entertainment. When I watch Dallas play I want to see them monkey stomp the crap out of their competition.

That doesn't mean Jerry should get a pass because of something he did 30 years ago. He should have kept trying to win more and more. How PO'd would Patriots fans be if Kraft and Billy B stopped trying to win more super bowls after the 2nd or 3rd?

ESisback

Reaction score
And what is so bad about Watson? That he tried for some happy endings during a private massage? Non issue for me.

Maybe, but had he been a Cowboy, there’d have been MASSIVE overreaction.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe, but had he been a Cowboy, there’d have been MASSIVE overreaction.
26 cases.

The team you play for means nothing.

I know Cowboys fans badly want to play victim over everything, but come one, get real. It's TWENTY 26 cases. The reaction was going to be massive regardless.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you watch the game - do you watch just for the entertainment value and don't care if the team goes 1-16 or 16-1? If that's the kind of fan you are, so be it. I have no problem with that, but I prefer the competition and winning more that the entertainment value. When I watch other teams play - that's strictly for entertainment. When I watch Dallas play I want to see them monkey stomp the crap out of their competition.

That doesn't mean Jerry should get a pass because of something he did 30 years ago. He should have kept trying to win more and more. How PO'd would Patriots fans be if Kraft and Billy B stopped trying to win more super bowls after the 2nd or 3rd?
I watch it for entertainment....how do you? With a microscope just to hate on individual players or owner......