CFZ The Good Guys

fivetwos

Reaction score
A few members here really believe that Jerry gets a lifetime pass because of 3 super bowl wins almost 30 years ago. Al Davis won it a few times too, and how well was he liked near the end of his life? Jerry deserves the same treatment Al got and more. At least Al never went almost 30 years between AFCCG appearances.
Al Davis was an actual scout at one point.

Jerry just thinks he is. The mesh ball cap and clipboard in Mobile may have been the most embarrassed I ever was as a fan.

If surgeons were celebrities the way athletes are Jerry would have bought a hospital and done surgery himself.

ESisback

Reaction score
26 cases.

The team you play for means nothing.

I know Cowboys fans badly want to play victim over everything, but come one, get real. It's TWENTY 26 cases. The reaction was going to be massive regardless.
Never said it shouldn’t, but to deny that the media overreacts when it involves Dallas is delusional.

ESisback

Reaction score
I watch it for entertainment....how do you? With a microscope just to hate on individual players or owner......

Seeing it as entertainment is normal. If I had millions invested in Hooter’s, I’d probably be dead serious about THAT!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
My football hero growing up was Roger Staubach. I was always impressed with the fact that he graduated from a military academy and then served his six year commitment with four of those years assigned to Vietnam.

Of course, we all know the story, four SB's,. two championships, leading passer for four seasons, All Pro, Pro Bowler, HOF, etc, etc.

As far as his personal life was concerned, Roger was squeaky clean. He was married, a family man. Roger Staubach' character was so respected that he was offered several opportunities to enter politics, which he declined. Instead, he built a real estate business and is recognized as the ex-NFL player with the mist financial success in a non-football related field.

Another example of his high moral character came when he was compared to New York Jet playboy quarterback, Joe Namath. Roger responded that he likes sex too, he just does it with only one woman, his wife.

Roger was a strict catholic and a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, as was his HC, Tom Landry.

Landry was also ex-military. At the age of 19 he was a 2nd LT and co-pilot for a bomber that flew 30 missions in Europe during World War 2.

The Cowboys have always had strong ties with the military and its veterans beginning with their very first starting quarterback, Eddie Lebaron, or the Little General. true, he was small in stature and he was a "field general" as a quarterback but he r3ceived the nickname for another reason. During the Korean war he was a LT. who led his team out of an ambush. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

I'm not saying every Dallas Cowboy has been a Saint, they have had their share of
embarrassments but Roger Staubach was never one. He was the kind of guy that you hoped your son would pattern his life after.

This has been on my mind lately as I follow the legal issues of DeShaun Watson, the face of the Cleveland Browns. Legally, he is innocent before proven guilty but I'm not accusing him of sexual assault although he is most likely guilty on more than one occasion. Instead, I'm accusing him of poor judgement, disrespecting his team and their fans

Winning as the good guys matter. Truth be told, it is the basis of the Cowboys being called America's team. Fans want to love their favorite players and it is so much easier, when that player is successful on the field while his off-field demeanor is worthy of such admiration.

Dak is a good guy. I feel so bad for Browns fans. Even is Watson won three Super Bowls it will take away some of the satisfaction knowing your QB behaved so badly off the field.
Roger and Coach Landry are the reason I am a Cowboys fan, and for the reasons you documented.
Roger was my childhood sports hero.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I watch it for entertainment....how do you? With a microscope just to hate on individual players or owner......
I made posted something similar about a year ago. I view the Cowboys as a TV show. I don't let them or anyone else influence my behavior or demeanor. It's just entertainment, just like this website. I don't let the Cowboys get me down just like I don't let other posters on this website get me down.

With all of that being said, there are games that I don't like, incidents I don't like and post I don't like. But nothing gets me down in real life. I sometimes enjoy posters on hear crying after a loss the way they do. Their tears make me laugh.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

I just said how I watch the games, or did you merely focus on calling me a hater instead? I'm surprised you didn't throw in a 'troll' or some other insult.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just said how I watch the games, or did you merely focus on calling me a hater instead? I'm surprised you didn't throw in a 'troll' or some other insult.
You're just typical

ShortRound

Reaction score
Look at our owner, you’re reminiscing about a time decades ago, a couple of generations ago. The game and league has changed so much since then. I doubt we see that type of story in our lifetimes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My football hero growing up was Roger Staubach. I was always impressed with the fact that he graduated from a military academy and then served his six year commitment with four of those years assigned to Vietnam.

Of course, we all know the story, four SB's,. two championships, leading passer for four seasons, All Pro, Pro Bowler, HOF, etc, etc.

As far as his personal life was concerned, Roger was squeaky clean. He was married, a family man. Roger Staubach' character was so respected that he was offered several opportunities to enter politics, which he declined. Instead, he built a real estate business and is recognized as the ex-NFL player with the mist financial success in a non-football related field.

Another example of his high moral character came when he was compared to New York Jet playboy quarterback, Joe Namath. Roger responded that he likes sex too, he just does it with only one woman, his wife.

Roger was a strict catholic and a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, as was his HC, Tom Landry.

Landry was also ex-military. At the age of 19 he was a 2nd LT and co-pilot for a bomber that flew 30 missions in Europe during World War 2.

The Cowboys have always had strong ties with the military and its veterans beginning with their very first starting quarterback, Eddie Lebaron, or the Little General. true, he was small in stature and he was a "field general" as a quarterback but he r3ceived the nickname for another reason. During the Korean war he was a LT. who led his team out of an ambush. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

I'm not saying every Dallas Cowboy has been a Saint, they have had their share of
embarrassments but Roger Staubach was never one. He was the kind of guy that you hoped your son would pattern his life after.

This has been on my mind lately as I follow the legal issues of DeShaun Watson, the face of the Cleveland Browns. Legally, he is innocent before proven guilty but I'm not accusing him of sexual assault although he is most likely guilty on more than one occasion. Instead, I'm accusing him of poor judgement, disrespecting his team and their fans

Winning as the good guys matter. Truth be told, it is the basis of the Cowboys being called America's team. Fans want to love their favorite players and it is so much easier, when that player is successful on the field while his off-field demeanor is worthy of such admiration.

Dak is a good guy. I feel so bad for Browns fans. Even is Watson won three Super Bowls it will take away some of the satisfaction knowing your QB behaved so badly off the field.
Sadly the Browns organization doesn’t seem to care providing Watson a 1/4 Billion guaranteed contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look at our owner, you’re reminiscing about a time decades ago, a couple of generations ago. The game and league has changed so much since then. I doubt we see that type of story in our lifetimes.
Fortunately there are still some good stories in the NFL. This family has certainly provided it.
maDnvs4.jpg

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Whining and crying is typical for fans like you.

You win, Mr. Super Fan.

I suppose it's ok to be a little hypocritical as a super fan, right? A real super fan, like you claim to be, wouldn't have been whining and crying about Garrett like you did. You root for the team no matter who the HC is, right?

ESisback

Reaction score
Oh yah if it was Dak, some would be trying to get him the death penalty. LOL
If it was Dak, he’d be suspended for 2022 already, and sports shows would talk about TWO things: Dak and Lebron.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

:hammer::hammer:
:starspin:

blueblood70

Reaction score

not a fair comp although i agree with the sentiments of the post, tell me when those teams has this much saturation of regular media, Social media, etc following them around 24-7 and umm the advent of cell phones with video and cameras that every single human at the places you visit have and use to make sure they don't miss one infraction..

Its a very different time my friend, i feel bad for these new generation of guys , they literally have zero private lives like the actors etc they are targets 24-7. squeaky clean in those days maybe because no one was following them 24-7 with cameras and cell phones and had near real time posts of what's going on.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I like the parts where you talk about our Captain America, Roger Staubach. But then the conversation gets a bit disconnected jumping to Deshaun Watson and then to Dak and then back to Watson. It should be noted that the team that Watson disrespected was the Houston Texans, not the Cleveland Browns. I don't feel one bit bad for the Browns or their fans. The Brown's FO made a deal with Watson knowing he still had legal issues unresolved. This has nothing to do with winning as the "good guy". It's the polar opposite.

plasticman

Reaction score
Boring...

Romo, Sean Lee, Frederick, etc. were good guys...
I was talking specifically about QB's and the fact that they usually become the face of the team.

Whether it's fair or not, they are typically the one given the most credit/blame for the team's success during their career. How do they understand and embrace This responsibility is important, not just for the team's perception but for all of NFL football.

They represent. Most of them do in a positive way, others not so much

And what is so bad about Watson? That he tried for some happy endings during a private massage? Non issue for me.

If it was just once or twice, I might understand that he may have been a target for a big payday.. However, 24 times?

What would I tell a son, say 10-12 years old, that was wearing his jersey about his "hero?" What does this teach him about respecting women?

And I'm not saying these women are being totally honest or that Watson being an NFL player had nothing to do with it, but again.....24 of them?

Think of the risk, not only to his own career but the careers of his teammates and coaches. If he is suspended, don't you think that will affect the careers of so many other? Just taking that risk is irresponsible and inconsiderate, not the attributes I would want of my quarterback.