The Good Ones Who Couldn't

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Terence Flagler. The #1 RB who quickly became Emmitt's understudy.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Pup. Kevin Smith wa a well known corner that had some great seasons, but if he would've stayed healthy he would be known today by a lot more people than diehard Cowboy fans .

rcaldw

Reaction score
Hostile;2525994 said:
Anyone who ever made the NFL had "promise." It isn't an easy accomplishment.

Agreed. I mean showed promise on the NFL level. I think even Henson had his glimpses, and I was very hopeful for the guy, so I would agree with you that he qualifies.

Gary Hogeboom probably qualifies too. :)

rcaldw

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2526003 said:
Pup. Kevin Smith wa a well known corner that had some great seasons, but if he would've stayed healthy he would be known today by a lot more people than diehard Cowboy fans .

Agree with you completely. When Kevin was right he was a very, very good corner.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
silver;2525970 said:
Alvin Harper had great potential. He was happy to play second fiddle to Irvin.
Danniel Stubbs was supposed to be Charles Haley before Charles Haley.
Howard Richards was also the LT of the future for 4 or 5 seasons. Knee injuries did him in. Todd Cristensen was another great that got away. We cound'nt convince him to switch to TE. Mike Walter also went on to win 3 sb's with the 49'ers. and last but not least, we gave up on Roger Ruzek who became a Cowboy killer for a 2 or 3 seasons with the eagles while we strugled with Luis Zendejas and others.

Then why did he jump on the deal that Tampa gave him to be their #1 wr? If he was happy he would have stayed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
rcaldw;2525992 said:
Remember the premise though guys. Its not DISAPPOINTMENTS I'm looking for. I'm looking for guys that actually SHOWED promise, but due to either injuries or factors outside of football never reached their potential.

Ahhhh

Julius Jones

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
A couple of names that come to mind:

DE Willie Townes - was a beast for us for a couple of seasons in the mid/late 60s then left and didn't do anything but he could have been awesome!

DE Coy Bacon - was in training camp with us but we traded his rights to the Rams and he went on to have a very good career (just died the other day).

QB Steve DeBerg - We drafted him in the mid 70s but already had a couple of other QBs on the roster and had taken one earlier in the draft that year so we let him go. I am convinced that if we would have kept him he would have beaten out Danny White and we would have won a few more SBs. Don't let his stats fool you, he was an outstanding QB. The best at running the play-fake since Johnny Unitas. He played for some horrible teams and was replaced by a number of "legends": Joe Montana, John Elway, Steve Young, and Joe Montana again.

I'll add some more later as I think of them and am not distracted by my wife...

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
I was waiting to hear Julius Jones because I was to chicken to say if first.

But you gotta' consider him a "never panned out" guy at least. Given his college pedigree and draft day status, I'd say he was, at the very least, a big dissapointment.

Rocket Ismael went to my high school (only a decade later). He chose to go to Canada for a while, so he'll always be, like other ex-CFL'ers, a guy who we'll never really know what he "could've been". Not totally.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
burmafrd;2525462 said:
Bryant Was NOT that talented. Certainly not to a level of Boldin, or TO, or Fitzgerald.

I couldn't disagree more. The guy was extremely talented and still is and he's shown that fact all year in Tampa.

80 receptions, 1,171 yards, 14.6 yard average, and 7 TDs for an offense that has played musical chairs, at times, with their QBs this year due to injuries.

The cat can flat out play and now Tampa seems to be getting a guy whose also matured as well. Being only 27 years old that's a really good thing for them cause the guy could be a playmaker for them for the next 5 years.

punit328

Reaction score
ive got some. How about the Hambrick brothers and how about Jeff Nix. Everybody thought Troy Hambrick was gonna be our future RB but he sucked, and his brother was also a Knucklehead. Also going way back, even though they never played in any games for us, didnt we have Tony Richardson and Brian Waters on our practice squad?

Scranton Tiger

Reaction score
I beginning to think Isaiah Stanback should be on the list. The kid stays on the injured list more than Rosie O'Donnell stays in the kitchen.

I also completely agree Antonio Bryant could have been (might still become) a great receiver. He won the award as the best receiver in college football his junior year at Pitt. Too much immaturity from him though. I look at him the way Crash Davis looked at Nuke LeLeush in Bull Durham. Million dollar talent with a five cent head.

links18

Reaction score
Danny Amendola :D

Seriously, what about Herschel Walker? What would he have accomplished if he were a Cowboys his entire career? Now think if we would have gotten him back right after he flamed out with the Vikes rather than waiting until 1996. :confused:

rcaldw

Reaction score
links18;2526173 said:
Danny Amendola :D

Seriously, what about Herschel Walker? What would he have accomplished if he were a Cowboys his entire career? Now think if we would have gotten him back right after he flamed out with the Vikes rather than waiting until 1996. :confused:

Hard to say Herschel under achieved. He played 11 years in the league and had over 13,000 combined yards in rushing and receiving.

The one argument, though, that could be made in your favor, is that he only rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. That is an amazing fact.

Scranton Tiger

Reaction score
rcaldw;2526187 said:
Hard to say Herschel under achieved. He played 11 years in the league and had over 13,000 combined yards in rushing and receiving.

The one argument, though, that could be made in your favor, is that he only rushed for over 1,000 yards twice. That is an amazing fact.
It's also worth mentioning that while in Dallas, he did lead the league in yards from scrimmage one season. This on a team that was dismal. No, Herschel didn't underachieve. He just didn't have ANY help the seasons he was a Cowboy.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Ken-Yon Rambo

Cha-Ron Dorsey

For some reason I always liked those two guys. Mostly Rambo, mostly because of his name. lol.