The Great Dallas Draft Debate--Fans of QB at 4 won't like it

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, it's not a good article.

The argument for drafting a QB is not to maximize the camp implications. It's to get a player at the hardest-to-fill position on the roster when you're in a rare position to do it. Because they really aren't often available elsewhere. It doesn't matter what the cap implications are (to a point). You need a QB? You take one where you can get one.

The stuff about the cap implications of cutting or trading Tony prior to 2018 are silly, because that's simply not going to happen. The contract was designed with 2018 as the first realistic 'out' year, and that's how it is.

Sydla

Reaction score
Romo is not a "serious injury risk". He has missed 1 game because of his "bad back" and every other injury he has sustained would have knocked out every quarterback in the league as well. He has also played through a punctured lung and broken bones so he is actually more durable than average. Stop making up stuff to fit your dumb agenda.

And yes, we'll do it like most every team in the history of the NFL has done and we'll deal with the QB issue as it comes. Even if we use a first round pick the season after Romo retires, I'm fairly sure that the prospect we get will be just as good as a community college QB from North Dakota with 600 pass attempts. Stop acting like this is the last draft in NFL history and stop believing in the myth of Aaron Rodgers.

How is he not a serious injury risk? And his back is such a concern that he has a modified practice schedule where he practices now much less than he did prior to the injury.

LOL at thinking he's not an injury risk.

And you are right, this isn't the last draft of all time, but how many times do you expect to pick in the Top 5, shoot even the Top 10, in the next 5-6 years?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll say this.

If the front office passes on a QB with that 4th pick because they are just not sold either is a franchise QB or that they like Lynch more and think they can get him in the middle of the first, great. In the end, you have to trust their assessment of a player.

I do not. Based on their track record in this area and their proven failures to identify, obtain, develop, or coach up anyone they've had, I trust all opinions outside of the building more than I do those inside. Their history does not give them any benefit of the doubt from me.

I'm taking the consensus opinion of both top quarterbacks over anything anyone in Vally Ranch says.

But if they pass on a QB under the notion that they don't need one because they have Romo and no team has ever taken a QB at 4 when they have a QB already in place and that they can find his replacement later or they can find his replacement in the 4th or 5th round, then they are just not a very forward thinking organization.

And they will deserve all failure that they would get from such poor planning. The damage would be self inflicted.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
How much do the Eagles have invested in Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel this year, not to mention talk if them trading up to add a rookie quarterback?

If this decision is at all being influenced by finances, this team is more screwed than any of us have ever feared.

That's just one factor.

All of those of you with fears will be calmed down when we win this year. We won't draft a QB with the 4th pick. Try to prepare. I agree with the article. It would be a poor investment of pick 4 with this team.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Looking around the NFL landscape, it's easy to see that quarterback is the most prized commodity in sports. Teams are so scared of being have-not's that they'll pay $100 million just so they don't lose guys they're still unsure about like Dalton and Tannehill. Sam Bradford is making $18 million based off of a disappointing 2015 season rather than the Eagles living without him. If that doesn't make the point clear enough for people, I don't know what would.

Exactly and it may be that some fans are too new to the team to have experienced it to understand it. If so, they really should do their homework and look back at how this team struggled between Aikman retiring and finding Romo. It should give people a better perspective.

And the other theory is just as misplaced. Some people see it simply as either/or, this or that. One extreme or their other. Romo either holds up all year long or he misses the entire season and we're terrible and drafting top 10 again in 2017. All the while failing to take the variables into consideration that Romo could also miss any other number of games and this team could otherwise finish just good enough to take you out of range to draft a QB again for years.
Pointing to the Eagles and their signing of Bradford out of desperation isn't convincing to me.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's just one factor.

All of those of you with fears will be calmed down when we win this year. We won't draft a QB with the 4th pick. Try to prepare. I agree with the article. It would be a poor investment of pick 4 with this team.

Oh I think it's likely they won't take a QB at 4.

I think that would be a mistake and we'll feel that pain for sure 3-4 years from now.

Barnwell's point of poor investment at 4 is based on some pretty stupid factors. I might buy it if he made a better case for his claim. But things like how a young QB won't learn anything from Romo is pretty idiotic.

Sydla

Reaction score
Pointing to the Eagles and their signing of Bradford out of desperation isn't convincing to me.

It should be.

It shows you how desperate teams are for QBs in this league and if you have a chance to potentially secure the next 7-9 years of your franchise, it's probably a wise move to do that at QB, the most important position on the field.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
And you are right, this isn't the last draft of all time, but how many times do you expect to pick in the Top 5, shoot even the Top 10, in the next 5-6 years?

What difference does it make? The 2nd best QB in a weak draft may not even be better than the 3rd or 4th in a future draft. Even in this poor draft, if we were 8-8 we would have a shot to get Lynch who is a decent prospect to build around. We have the #4 pick in a rotten quarterback draft where pretty much every expert says there isn't a day one starter in the bunch. We can wait another year, get a clearer picture of Romo going forward and reassess. I'm sure there will be another roboQB from Nowhere U that will shoot up the boards for everyone to get excited about. It happens every year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's just one factor.

Feel free to think whatever you'd like while I reserve the right to do the same.

Sydla

Reaction score
What difference does it make? The 2nd best QB in a weak draft may not even be better than the 3rd or 4th in a future draft. Even in this poor draft, if we were 8-8 we would have a shot to get Lynch who is a decent prospect to build around. We have the #4 pick in a rotten quarterback draft where pretty much every expert says there isn't a day one starter in the bunch. We can wait another year, get a clearer picture of Romo going forward and reassess. I'm sure there will be another roboQB from Nowhere U that will shoot up the boards for everyone to get excited about. It happens every year.

You very well might be right. Wentz or Goff aren't the greatest prospects. And if the Cowboys scouts believe that and pass at 4, I can live with that.

But if they believe Wentz or Goff have real potential to be a franchise QB and they pass on them because of some insanely idiotic belief that Romo is going to be healthy for the next 4 years and play at a high level and that they can find their next QB in the 4th round, well then, they are dumber than we could have ever imagined.

My whole argument here is based on the assumption that the scouts and draft gurus and anonymous sources around the league that both Wentz and Goff are considered Top 10 prospects in this draft. So in that sense, if a QB is the BPA at 4 for the Cowboys, they should take him. If the Cowboys think both suck.......... sure pass.

My fear though is that the logic the Cowboys will use at 4 to pass on a QB has nothing to do with the talent levels of these guys.

Reaction score
I stopped reading after the guy compared Romo to Russell Wilson. The 2 couldn't be more different.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You very well might be right. Wentz or Goff aren't the greatest prospects. And if the Cowboys scouts believe that and pass at 4, I can live with that.

But if they believe Wentz or Goff have real potential to be a franchise QB and they pass on them because of some insanely idiotic belief that Romo is going to be healthy for the next 4 years and play at a high level and that they can find their next QB in the 4th round, well then, they are dumber than we could have ever imagined.

My whole argument here is based on the assumption that the scouts and draft gurus and anonymous sources around the league that both Wentz and Goff are considered Top 10 prospects in this draft. So in that sense, if a QB is the BPA at 4 for the Cowboys, they should take him. If the Cowboys think both suck.......... sure pass.

My fear though is that the logic the Cowboys will use at 4 to pass on a QB has nothing to do with the talent levels of these guys.

There is nothing wrong with the Cowboys logic as long as they think Romo will start the next two years. It's just not practical to waste a high pick and then pay him to sit on the bench and do nothing, while passing on a chance to get a future star who can play right away. One year, like Carson Palmer, is acceptable. Anything more and it needs to be a day 2 pick, like Osweiller or Garoppolo.

And let's face it, even if the Cowboys brain trust comes out the next day after the draft and say that they followed their board and took Ramsey, the "QB or Bust" crowd won't accept it.

Western

Reaction score
The hate runs deep from this one.

My requirement for starting Dallas Cowboys QB's:
Super Bowl victories, Championship games, & numerous playoff triumphs.
Roger Staubach, & Troy Aikman.

Romo's 2 wildcard victories in 10 years does not cut it.

I don't apologize for demanding high standards with post-season success.
After all, this is the Dallas Cowboys (not the Detroit Lions nor the Cleveland Browns).

Sydla

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the Cowboys logic as long as they think Romo will start the next two years. It's just not practical to waste a high pick and then pay him to sit on the bench and do nothing, while passing on a chance to get a future star who can play right away. One year, like Carson Palmer, is acceptable. Anything more and it needs to be a day 2 pick, like Osweiller or Garoppolo.

And let's face it, even if the Cowboys brain trust comes out the next day after the draft and say that they followed their board and took Ramsey, the "QB or Bust" crowd won't accept it.

There is a lot wrong with the Cowboys logic if the BPA on the board at 4 is Wentz and they pass.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My requirement for starting Dallas Cowboys QB's:
Super Bowl victories, Championship games, & numerous playoff triumphs.
Roger Staubach, & Troy Aikman.

Romo's 2 wildcard victories in 10 years does not cut it.

I don't apologize for demanding high standards with post-season success.
After all, this is the Dallas Cowboys (not the Detroit Lions nor the Cleveland Browns).

Good for you.
If you think he sux and has sucked, feel free to think that.
This isn't tennis or golf though