The greatness that is Brandon Aubrey

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Reading up on the contract situation, of the 46 kickers under contract, he currently is the third lowest paid in the NFL. He will be a FA after 2025. Should he have another great season this year, Jerry &son better open up that wallet, dust off the cobwebs and PAY the man.

I fear these two dimwits will somehow blow this one too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He nailed it so pure I knew when it left his foot it was good with room to spare. Don’t know if he plays golf but it must have felt like when you nail a tee shot.

ghst187

Reaction score
“I wish I did anything as well as Aubrey kicks a football” lol
(Sham used to say that about Bailey)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Aubrey is truly unbelievable.

Unfortunately Jerry Jones and his act have made me jaded to a sad level.

We’ve seen Folk, Bailey, and for one season Maher all go from incredibly great to a total case of the yips out of nowhere.

How exactly does that happen to one franchise in such a small period of time? Maybe karma is real Jerry.
Other than Maher, it's mostly due to injury. Kickers try to fight through injury and it ends up costing them.

Folk had a torn labrum and after he had surgery in May 2009 they tried to rush him back and his hip did not heal properly. Then he made 64.3 percent of his FGs and was cut.

Bailey suffered a groin injury during the 2017 season, tried to come back and play that season. He was never quite the same.

Maher was not that accurate of a kicker. Went to New Orleans and seemed to find his focus before coming back here and losing it right before the playoffs when the league decided to enforce the marker rule. He was essentially an 80 percent kicker before the Saints' stint, which showed that most of his inaccuracy issues were focus problems. He was doing real well in his return to Dallas, but his mental "weakness" showed when he got the yips after the marker change.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s getting to the point where everyone is going to expect Aubrey never to miss a kick. You just hope all the talk about him doesn’t create too much pressure. You know how kickers are, one short miss and they could go into a funk.

plymkr

Reaction score
Tied the NFL record last night, but history will act like it didn't happen because it was the preseason.
Yep. That’s the only thing that sucks about this play. It happened in the preseason and his name won’t be on the record. I would love for him to kick a 70 yarder in the regular season and smash the record.

krimson

Reaction score
What amazed me about that kick was first, how easily he cleared the bottom bar. Tucker kick actually hit the bottom bar and bounced in. Aubrey could have made it from 72! The second is how effortless Aubrey looked kicking it. He looks like he is just kicking a regualar FG. Tucker's approach had such a crazy angle to genereate the torque needed to get the ball down the field. He earned is every yard on that kick. Congrats to Aubrey on an amazing kick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Aubrey-matic is the poster child for why you never listen to the rush-to-judgment folks around here. Just sayin. :)
You mean all the negative feedback in the talk from training camp his rookie year? Happens every year some of you including yourself are mocking the offseason and I start watching these preseason games and some of these players are a lot better and the team might actually be improved or at least be almost as good as last year but yes the rush to judgment the every single offseason is historically bad and the team has done nothing to get improved by the front office is always an overreaction until we see what's going on on the field...

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s getting to the point where everyone is going to expect Aubrey never to miss a kick. You just hope all the talk about him doesn’t create too much pressure. You know how kickers are, one short miss and they could go into a funk.
It happens to the best kickers that ever came through here I mean Maher was pretty damn good that year and then all of a sudden he got the gifts I mean he was 11 for 11 his first year he was a top three kicker the year he started missing the extra points at the end of the year and that was at the very end of the year and he got the yips this happened with nick folk coming back off of injury but he was great until he wasn't so I think with kickers you just gotta pray you have at least a long stretch before they have that moment where they lose confidence and their kicking motion goes haywire like people said it's like golf yeah watch a lot of golfers look great for a month and then all of a sudden for like 3 tournaments they look like trash...

so yeah I'm praying for a long nice consistent career from Aubrey but it happens to all players really they have bad games and hopefully the fan base doesn't get all over his *** and give him a break when he doesn't have a great game like if he misses a game-winning kick say from 43 yards i mean let's give him a break..

blueblood70

Reaction score
My philosophy of kickers is that I would go for it mostly inside the 40, so making long field goals and extending the team's scoring range, as well as touchbacks, is the main value of a kicker. If i can get several long field goals out of the kicker and an extra few touchbacks, that's going to make up for any shortfall in the more conventional kicking game and probably then some.

So yes, I like Brandon Aubrey a lot.
That is true and I know aubrey's better but let's remember Brett Maher did this he got the moniker Brett money Maher he was 11 for 11 the first time here before he started having some problems then he went an entire year of doing exactly what you're talking about didn't have that extra point issue until the very last game of the year and in the playoffs then he got mental and it happens it is like golf you gotta hope that you have a kicker like this can stay consistent and not get an injury or something that changes motion or the snapper starts to mess with his head and then he just ends up becoming average it happens so yeah enjoy this while you can and I'm not trying to be negative but grandma heard did this twice here.. I remember nick folk used to be pretty damn money and then all of a sudden he went S after he came back off I don't know a groin injury or something he never was the same although he kicked for a lot of years after he left here... Wants a kicker starts losing it mentally it's hard for them to get it back.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You mean all the negative feedback in the talk from training camp his rookie year?
You are so very perceptive.

Happens every year some of you including yourself are mocking the offseason
Ummm. What the hell are you talking about again??? Receipts please. Quote me, or give me something.

More lucidly, I've argued for... well... lucidity... for balance... for being content with ambiguity until empirical evidence has a chance over some period of time to emerge to support some conclusion... avoiding over-reaction, avoiding under-reaction.

The only thing I can figure you possibly are referencing is my consistent plea for a more proven option at LT to be on the roster... arguing that it's fine to hope Guyton could win the job, but it's smart to not abandon all of the pre-draft and post-draft analysis suggesting he had some significant development that would need to occur rather suddenly if he were to be the game one starter... and thus, smart to give Guyton a legitimate, veteran, accomplished LT to have to compete with... not Edoga. Someone who, if healthy, no one would question could be the starter.

Kicker? Kicker is an entirely different thing (self-evidently) from manning the role of left tackle. Other than getting used to the larger audience watching them in real games, there is no difference in the actual act of and role of being an NFL kicker than being a kicker at any other level of the sport. So, no, it shouldn't have amazed anyone that Aubrey probably would be able to translate his previous Birmingham Stallions success to Dallas Cowboys success. We could say the same thing for punters, of couse.

So, nah dawg, it's nothing like being an LT, having skilled players across the line from you constantly testing your strength, balance, mobility, sometimes run blocking, sometimes pass blocking. There is reason to be skeptical of unproven players like Guyton, and of unaccomplished veteran players like Edoga.

Zooming out... skepticism is healthy. Wheras, full-on, "this guy sucks"... or "this guy is the next goat at his position"... based merely on a small sample of practices and preseason games... that's just pompous buffoonery.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Iui052n.png

Too soon..?

Dang it! Should have waited and hit them with the silhouette version first!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Don’t praise him. You’ll jinx him and he’ll get the yips and 180 like all the other kickers did.

quickccc

Reaction score
Brandon Aubrey has become the best young FG kicker in the entire NFL .... still quite astounding how he was discovered and coached
up under Bones Fassel.

Everyone was in panic mode when he was a totally unknown and brought in from concern with the FG kickers...