The guitar I'm getting ...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Banned_n_austin said:
Mr. Paint, Juke99 and a few others on this board who are in the know ...

This guitar is the best thing I've ever come across. It sounds great and looks awesome! If you have a music store in your area check it out.

I will own this bad boy in a couple of weeks.

Don't drool too much, ok?

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=4#

Click on the guitar and enlarge this beauty ... you have to see this thing! AND it sounds twices as good as it looks. Truley the best guitar I have ever seen at this price. Sure, you can match it, but you'll pay 3 grand for it.

I'm in awe here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/513072/

I have always liked the looks of those guitars and to get a neck through body for that price is oustanding.

I just wish they had a floyd rose or kahler on them.

Either way I am really happy for you...I know how excited I get when talking about getting a new guitar, or getting a new one when you don't expect it.

Although I doubt I get another one for a long time....I still dream about a top of the line Jackson....maybe I will still get that down the road lol.

Once again very happy for you.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NYCowboy22 said:
Hey guys, I just ordered an electric guitar package (Ibanez) and I wanted to know if there was any advice you experienced players could give a total beginner. I'm going to take a shot at teaching myself, is there any computer software or videos that are particularly good to help me get things going? My favorite guitarists are Tony Iommi and Slash just so you guys get an idea of where im trying to go.

Thanks!

For all of the advice you could be given, about order this, get your hearing good, learn to pick right and so on....I think the best advice ever is to find someone who can already play and learn from them.

I think you will grow by leaps and bounds that way.

For the record I, like Juke, can not read music...i do read some Tab which you can find loads of on the net.

BTW...I have only gotten to play two ibanez guitars and the one thing that I liked about them over anything was the feel of the thin necks they have, they are lightning fast...similar to the jackson necks and I like the thin necks.

One of the reasons I have never been to comfortable on Fender or gibson guitars and one of the main things I do not like about my Rich Warlock....I just like the thinner necks.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Now that's three different amps, indeed. For it to sound good through that wide a range of amps, it must be killer.

I am already psyched for ya!!!! There's nothing quite like getting a new guitar.

So what's the occasion?

I had to run last night ... no ocassion really, just that I'm trying to get more serious about music - for a hobby. I've been enlightened lately. There is so much you can do on a computer with music now. They have a software called Reason 2.5 ... I recommend you check into this, Juke. It gives you all of your sounds distortion, chorus, delay, phasing, vocoder and on and on through your computer.

You have to get an interface for it to work well on it ... on top of these sounds, you can program drum tracks or play them, keyboards, bass etc ... and the software is also a recording device and does quality recording ... you can also edit and mix.

Now, I was in disbelief when I was first hearing about this. But now that I've seen it and experienced it ... it truley has opened up the horizons ... the possibilities are limitless. Other cool programs are Nuendo and Protools ...

Since this is all new to me, so I am in the learning process, but I am fascinated by the possibilities. It used to be, you had to have BOOKOO money to invest sound, studio and recording equiptment ... not any more. This technology thing opens up new doors.

My next goal is to get a laptop and run my rig off of that ... I've got a feeling you're going to see a trend in the next few years ... instead of guys towing their racks to gigs and what not ... they'll be plugged into a laptop.

Like I said, I'm still pretty new to all of this and my goal is to not go too haywire and blow all of my money, but I do plan on gearing up.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I actually wasn't saying it because of the Boys. Just like the blue a lot.

I can play a stereo. Make you think he band is in your house. :D

After looking at it, the blue does look pretty good. I didn't buy the guitar because they only had the red color in stock ...

If they get the blue I'm going to have to see it in person.

Interesting.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Thats a good deal considering the one in the link said Suggested Retail is $999.00 your talking about 40% off if you get it at 599

Yeah - guitar center starts the price at $699 though. I agree the price is great.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
NYCowboy22 said:
Hey guys, I just ordered an electric guitar package (Ibanez) and I wanted to know if there was any advice you experienced players could give a total beginner. I'm going to take a shot at teaching myself, is there any computer software or videos that are particularly good to help me get things going? My favorite guitarists are Tony Iommi and Slash just so you guys get an idea of where im trying to go.

Thanks!

Well, what do you know so far?

I always recommend learning the basic chords E, G, A, D, C, F ...

Learn those first ... find a diagram on the internet that shows you where to place your fingers and tells you which ones to put where. It may also help if they have some songs that can help you apply those chords ... I like to play my own stuff, but it never hurts to learn some tunes when you're learning.

Learn the open chords first, and get comfortable changing chords ... learn to strum with a pick also ... this should be pretty easy, but you'll find explanations on it.

Here, I found this in about 5 seconds ... don't be afraid to use your resources.

http://www.cyberfret.com/chords/beginning-7/page2.php

Good luck - keep us posted.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Congrats and welcome to the club. It's all downhill from here. :)

I think the most important aspect for a beginner it to develop your hearing. Everyone's in a rush to start playing but if you can pick out a few simple solos from an album you like and try to find the notes on your guitar, it'll help to develop your ability to hear. If you can do this while you are playing along with an instructional DVD, I think it'll help tremendously.

I can't read music...I'm clueless. Everything I learned was done by listening and then finding the notes/chords...which is something I'm proud of. On the other hand, I developed some bad habits because I didn't spend enough time building the foundation.

I think if you do a combination of both, the DVD and listening on your own, you'll have the best of both worlds.

FYI, I have an old Ibanez, circa 1980 in my collection of guitars...the thing SCREAMS.

:)

What kind of guitars do you have, Juke?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/513072/

I have always liked the looks of those guitars and to get a neck through body for that price is oustanding.

I just wish they had a floyd rose or kahler on them.

Either way I am really happy for you...I know how excited I get when talking about getting a new guitar, or getting a new one when you don't expect it.

Although I doubt I get another one for a long time....I still dream about a top of the line Jackson....maybe I will still get that down the road lol.

Once again very happy for you.

Thanks man, I don't need a floyd rose for tremelo or anything like that. It's not my style. I'm a ripper, not a shredder - there's a difference. :p:

The bridge is one of the major selling points on this guitar for me. I have no problem with it. I actually like it.

The strings go throught the back of the guitar and they sustain better than anything I have ever played ... I haven't played everthing out there of course, but I am impressed with the bridge system on this one. It's actually the best thing they could do IMO. You don't have strings pulling on your bridge ... that is great for staying in tune. That's the main reason I'll never have a tremelo on my guitar ...

Now, if I were a metal head like you, I may not feel this way ...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Banned_n_austin said:
Thanks man, I don't need a floyd rose for tremelo or anything like that. It's not my style. I'm a ripper, not a shredder - there's a difference. :p:

The bridge is one of the major selling points on this guitar for me. I have no problem with it. I actually like it.

The strings go throught the back of the guitar and they sustain better than anything I have ever played ... I haven't played everthing out there of course, but I am impressed with the bridge system on this one. It's actually the best thing they could do IMO. You don't have strings pulling on your bridge ... that is great for staying in tune. That's the main reason I'll never have a tremelo on my guitar ...

Now, if I were a metal head like you, I may not feel this way ...

Actually with the floyd rose double locking system.....my strings NEVER go out of tune.

I can actually turn the tuning pegs on the head of the guitar and still not go out of tune.

That is if you have the double locking system with the locking nut on the head.

Wait...that last part sounds dirty but I am sure guitar guys will no what I mean.

Oh and I wanted to say that Mahogany body wood will help with sustain as well...though It may take a little to get used to the weight if you were used to other woods.

The one thing about that guitar that I found odd was the finger board.....why use different materials on those instead of one...say all rosewood or ebony? Does it have something to do with the inlays?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Actually with the floyd rose double locking system.....my strings NEVER go out of tune.

I can actually turn the tuning pegs on the head of the guitar and still not go out of tune.

That is if you have the double locking system with the locking nut on the head.

Wait...that last part sounds dirty but I am sure guitar guys will no what I mean.

Oh and I wanted to say that Mahogany body wood will help with sustain as well...though It may take a little to get used to the weight if you were used to other woods.

The one thing about that guitar that I found odd was the finger board.....why use different materials on those instead of one...say all rosewood or ebony? Does it have something to do with the inlays?

I don't know, man ... that's a quesion I will ask though ... the neck does have two kinds of wood ... I think one is used for the inlays and the other is the back part of the neck.

On the body, I don't know why or where they used two kinds of wood ...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
What kind of guitars do you have, Juke?

The collection...

Rickebacker Fireglo..I just use it occasionally for the sound.
Rickebacker 4001 Bass
Ibanez circa 1980. Very heavy sound.
Gibson Melody Maker.
Gibson J200 acoustic. Favorite of the bunch.
Yamaha 12 string
Taylor NS32 Nylon acoustic
Fender Acoustic
Gibson Hummingbird acoustic
Fender Strat (not a vintage one) bought it a few months ago

Then for recording, I have a 4416, 16 track digital recording deck.

Yamaha Motif ES7 keyboard
Yamaha Digital Piano
Roland Synth

And then a bunch of effects and preamps and mics, my fav being Neuman.

If you want a great guitar accessory, the POD's are super. I use one for my guitars and also one when I record bass. I don't use a mic any more because I get a better sound going direct through the POD.

Uh, as you can see, I have a serious problem. :)

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
The collection...

Rickebacker Fireglo..I just use it occasionally for the sound.
Rickebacker 4001 Bass
Ibanez circa 1980. Very heavy sound.
Gibson Melody Maker.
Gibson J200 acoustic. Favorite of the bunch.
Yamaha 12 string
Taylor NS32 Nylon acoustic
Fender Acoustic
Gibson Hummingbird acoustic
Fender Strat (not a vintage one) bought it a few months ago

Then for recording, I have a 4416, 16 track digital recording deck.

Yamaha Motif ES7 keyboard
Yamaha Digital Piano
Roland Synth

And then a bunch of effects and preamps and mics, my fav being Neuman.

If you want a great guitar accessory, the POD's are super. I use one for my guitars and also one when I record bass. I don't use a mic any more because I get a better sound going direct through the POD.

Uh, as you can see, I have a serious problem. :)

Agree on the POD's ... I also have a Korg A5... I don't use it much though ... now I play through a Maestro phaser and a wah peddal (sometimes) ... I like a clean tone, but I need to get it a little more compressed. Another goal is to get a compressor. I like effects alright ... and the POD is cool, but it's not the best sound you can get IMO.

I may get a midi pickup at some point in time ... Also as far as keyboards, all I really need is a controller, I'd like to record baselines on a keyboard, but other than that, I'm not much of a keyboard guy. I do know some great players though.

Very nice list of goodies, Juke. Sounds like you like to play a little music.

BTW, how do you like that Taylor?

I also dig the Rickenbackers.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Agree on the POD's ... I also have a Korg A5... I don't use it much though ... now I play through a Maestro phaser and a wah peddal (sometimes) ... I like a clean tone, but I need to get it a little more compressed. Another goal is to get a compressor. I like effects alright ... and the POD is cool, but it's not the best sound you can get IMO.

I may get a midi pickup at some point in time ... Also as far as keyboards, all I really need is a controller, I'd like to record baselines on a keyboard, but other than that, I'm not much of a keyboard guy. I do know some great players though.

Very nice list of goodies, Juke. Sounds like you like to play a little music.

BTW, how do you like that Taylor?

I also dig the Rickenbackers.

The Pod is the best thing I have heard for recording...very clean...I'm sure there are better units but for my requirements, it works well.

I was thinking of a midi pickup but then decided to take the full plunge and get the ES7...I can't play very well but I mostly use it for embellishments...and I also use it to build drum tracks. I don't loop anything, I actually play along, use several tracks, and then mix everything to two tracks..I refuse to loop stuff...that's the analog old fart in me. :)

How do you like the midi pickups?

The Taylor is really nice..it's just got THAT sound...ya know that mellow nylon sound.

The Rics are cool...the bass MUCH better than the Fireglo, which is kinda like playing a pizza shovel.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
The Pod is the best thing I have heard for recording...very clean...I'm sure there are better units but for my requirements, it works well.

I was thinking of a midi pickup but then decided to take the full plunge and get the ES7...I can't play very well but I mostly use it for embellishments...and I also use it to build drum tracks. I don't loop anything, I actually play along, use several tracks, and then mix everything to two tracks..I refuse to loop stuff...that's the analog old fart in me. :)

How do you like the midi pickups?

The Taylor is really nice..it's just got THAT sound...ya know that mellow nylon sound.

The Rics are cool...the bass MUCH better than the Fireglo, which is kinda like playing a pizza shovel.

I'll have to look at the POD again ... I've heard my uncle play through his ... maybe I'm just spoiled ... I probably got used to him playing through his monster rack. I'll have to hear what it sounds like when I play out of it. I don't use my Korg A5 that much anymore. No mi gusta.

My buddy has a Triton and likes it alot ... I just don't see myself spending that much on a synth when I can get a controller and run it off of a laptop and software. He uses it to cut drum tracks and loops ... and I think the drum samples are awful on it - very generic, but you can keep the timing and add new drums from somewhere else.

I don't have a midi pickup yet, but you can add it to any guitar with anolog pickups ... my uncle has one and he gets all kinds of synth sounds etc. I think it's pretty cool.

The Rickenbacker bass has a real small body, eh?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I'll have to look at the POD again ... I've heard my uncle play through his ... maybe I'm just spoiled ... I probably got used to him playing through his monster rack. I'll have to hear what it sounds like when I play out of it. I don't use my Korg A5 that much anymore. No mi gusta.

My buddy has a Triton and likes it alot ... I just don't see myself spending that much on a synth when I can get a controller and run it off of a laptop and software. He uses it to cut drum tracks and loops ... and I think the drum samples are awful on it - very generic, but you can keep the timing and add new drums from somewhere else.

I don't have a midi pickup yet, but you can add it to any guitar with anolog pickups ... my uncle has one and he gets all kinds of synth sounds etc. I think it's pretty cool.

The Rickenbacker bass has a real small body, eh?

Yep...you can do a ton of stuff with the laptop...I was already invested in the 16 track so the choice was to scrap everything, or add on to what I had.

I went for adding on...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Yep...you can do a ton of stuff with the laptop...I was already invested in the 16 track so the choice was to scrap everything, or add on to what I had.

I went for adding on...

Cool - I've been listening to somethings on the net that were made with the POD. My opinion is that they sound great ...

I hear you on the adding on part.