Video: The Herd: Who’s America’s Team?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas will always be America's team. It's just a nickname. It's like calling Green Bay Titletown. It doesn't actually mean anything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve been to games in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Indy and there have been as many and in some cases more Cowboys fans by my estimate.

Last year in Indy I’d guess it was 60% Dallas. I think that’s a good indicator of a strong national following.
Yes but it’s not based or revolved around the success on the field.

ryanbabs

Reaction score

Of course we’d all like more Superbowls or at least some more playoff wins in the last 20!! years.

But despite the non winning, hatred by many fans, and some in the media we’re America’s Team.

Coward says it well: “The Cowboys Rule”

Those that argue this: I always tell them I’ll bet them $1,000 to let Google decide. Shuts them up.

Elusiv1

Reaction score
Here is my order of teams that travel the best and are right behind America's team the Dallas Cowboys, to me this will never change.

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Pittsburgh Steelers
3. Oakland Raiders
4. GreenBay Packers.

Elusiv1

Reaction score
****** if only we could have beat the Colts in Superbowl 5 and the Steelers in Superbowl 13? I just think back to the Jackie Smith drop all the time but it is what it is.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
****** if only we could have beat the Colts in Superbowl 5 and the Steelers in Superbowl 13? I just think back to the Jackie Smith drop all the time but it is what it is.

Please, don't say the name of Jackie Smith.

CapnB

Reaction score
I’ve been to games in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Indy and there have been as many and in some cases more Cowboys fans by my estimate.

Last year in Indy I’d guess it was 60% Dallas. I think that’s a good indicator of a strong national following.

Its like that every time ive been to panther/cowboys game in charlotte. its 50/50 all the way.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I didn't care about the "America's Team" thing when I was a kid in the 70s and I sure don't care about it now.

Seems odd to me that any grown man takes some sort of pride in the moniker. :muttley:

I know right. I always think of it as some sort of comeback during a sports argument. "Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well, we're America's Team. There! Who cares about playoff success or Super Bowls? The media loves us! Of course you can't trust the media for anything nowadays, but they love us even more than your Super Bowl-winning team! That'll learn ya!"

If you can't be validated by success, be validated by something I guess. I think it helps the kids to feel special. Have at it, I say.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All i know is casual or borderline NFL fans can name more Cowboys players than they can on any other NFL team or their own team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The term is the embodiment of what the franchise is in relation to the majority of the country. It is all-encompassing and does not mean any one particular thing.

Even so, this is one of those times when I dislike seeing someone capitalize upon its polarizing aspect. Colin Cowherd can be an idiot a lot of at times but he is also an intelligent one. He knows how to work over his audience. It would be nice if he finally dropped all pretense and change 'The Herd' to 'The Instigator' though.

I am glad to have watched the video even though I typically ignore them. Cowherd's discussion on Cam Newton and the possibility of the Panthers going after Teddy Bridgewater was pretty fresh and smart. Good stuff.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The Cowboys own the rights to it. It's a dumb discussion. Starts and Stops at Cowboys own the rights

That's not true. A private citizen owns the copy rights to America's Team and has given the Cowboys exclusive written permission to use it. He was factory worker in the metroplex who spent his life's saving to copy write it. His wife was so angry that he did it she filed for divorce Then money started pouring in from TV and magazines using America's Team and this guy's attorney would hit them for 25K every time they used it.. The ex-wife then tried to get some of that money because the divorce wasn't final yet but the judge said you filed because he spent your life savings on this and you didn't want to wait to see if it was worth it so no you don't get to reap any of the earnings.. The article I read about this said several media type places negotiated a flat fee for using the term. Another funny thing about this was when the packers won Super Bowl XXXI the city of Green Bay had some banner made and put up on all of the light posts in downtown Green Bay that proclaimed the packers America's Team. This guy found out about this and his attorney got 25K for each banner and a cease and disist order and the banners came down about 4 days after they went up.. The city then did what they should have done and put up banners that said Title Town which the city owns the copy writes for.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Of course we’d all like more Superbowls or at least some more playoff wins in the last 20!! years.

But despite the non winning, hatred by many fans, and some in the media we’re America’s Team.

Coward says it well: “The Cowboys Rule”

oh my god who cares

Swanny

Reaction score
That's not true. A private citizen owns the copy rights to America's Team and has given the Cowboys exclusive written permission to use it. He was factory worker in the metroplex who spent his life's saving to copy write it. His wife was so angry that he did it she filed for divorce Then money started pouring in from TV and magazines using America's Team and this guy's attorney would hit them for 25K every time they used it.. The ex-wife then tried to get some of that money because the divorce wasn't final yet but the judge said you filed because he spent your life savings on this and you didn't want to wait to see if it was worth it so no you don't get to reap any of the earnings.. The article I read about this said several media type places negotiated a flat fee for using the term. Another funny thing about this was when the packers won Super Bowl XXXI the city of Green Bay had some banner made and put up on all of the light posts in downtown Green Bay that proclaimed the packers America's Team. This guy found out about this and his attorney got 25K for each banner and a cease and disist order and the banners came down about 4 days after they went up.. The city then did what they should have done and put up banners that said Title Town which the city owns the copy writes for.
Very cool story!
That's another one Green Bay owns "Title Town" when Green Bay does not have the most titles. I'd imagine off the top of my head Boston or New York has by far the most titles, thank the Celtics and Yankees

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 5 branches of the US military as well as those that serve to protect it's citizens within this country.

This is one of the dumbest things ever to come about in sports, if a sports team can be America's Team it is those that we send to compete internationally that we can universally get behind and support. Not some team that has as many people disliking it as liking it.