The honeymoon over for TO & Philly?

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Gawd I LOVE reading stories like this!

Phil Sheridan | Owens is on the verge of wasting good will

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Columnist

Terrell Owens loves proving people wrong. Maybe that explains it.

After the last year, it would be hard to imagine Eagles fans feeling anything but unconditional love for Owens. This is, remember, the man who fought the NFL to get here, who played brilliantly in his first regular season, then topped that with a dramatic return to form in the Super Bowl.

There was not a single negative thing to say about the guy. Ah, but that's a challenge, and we know how T.O. feels about a challenge.

If Owens wanted to prove that assessment wrong, his best chance was to fire the agent he called a "true" friend, hire one of the game's real sharks, create friction, hold out of camps, and turn himself into the sort of distraction that could damage the Eagles' chances of returning to the Super Bowl.

Owens checked three of those five items off his to-do list. Out went David Joseph, the man Owens stood by during last winter's crisis. In is Drew Rosenhaus, who is on a quest to represent every significant NFL player. On his first day on the job, Rosenhaus flew to Philadelphia to meet with Eagles president Joe Banner.

It remains to be seen whether Owens will complete the cycle by boycotting minicamps or holding out of training camp. That's what it would take to have a serious effect on the team's 2005 season.

Look, this isn't one of those naïve screeds about the sanctity of contracts. In the NFL, especially, a contract is only binding until the team decides to release the player. So there's nothing wrong with players trying to make the most money they can during their all-too-short careers.

But there's a right way and a wrong way to go about this. This is the wrong way. What makes it mystifying is that Owens, who had erased whatever stains were left on his reputation from his days with San Francisco, would be willing to risk all that good will with such an obviously doomed money grab.

Did he have a great 2004? He sure did. But he received about $10 million in bonus money and salary last year. For that kind of green, Owens signed on to have a great 2004, 2005 and 2006. After that, maybe, it's time to talk about a contract extension.

No one does a big contract and then tears it up one year later. No one.

So what happened? Well, here's a theory. Rosenhaus is on a spree, signing up everyone from Edgerrin James to Plaxico Burress to Chad Johnson. As long as he doesn't break any of the rules the NFL Players Association sets for accredited agents, Rosenhaus is entitled to grow his business as much as possible.

To recruit Owens, he had to make a pitch along these lines:

You should have been on the open market last year, where you would have gotten more money. Because of your agent, you wound up getting traded and settling for less than your full value. Meanwhile, I got Jevon Kearse a better deal from the Eagles. He made more than you did, even though you're much more valuable. The only thing he had that you didn't was a great agent.

It's Rosenhaus' job to make that pitch, first to Owens and then to the Eagles. The disappointing thing is that Owens fell for it.

Kearse got a $16 million signing bonus, but he also has lower salaries over the first few years. Owens, meanwhile, is scheduled to get a $5 million roster bonus next year. So, over the first three years of the deal, Owens is scheduled to make only slightly less than Kearse.

After three years, because of age and health and the salary cap, it's all smoke and mirrors. Kearse's deal includes a $10.24 million salary for 2011, an agent's trick to make the contract look bigger in media reports. Kearse is more likely to win the lottery than get that money.

So Rosenhaus got Kearse a little more. That's not a shock, given the market value of pass rushers and the very real questions about Owens' past behavior. Remember, only Baltimore was competing with the Eagles to trade for Owens, so it is no sure thing that Owens would have done significantly better on the open market.

As it was, he became one of the three highest-paid wide receivers in the NFL. Is it possible Rosenhaus could have gotten him a bit more? Yes, it's possible.

But that was an issue for 2004. Owens could have changed agents when the whole world believed Joseph had messed up his only client's paperwork, costing him his free agency. He could have hired Rosenhaus last year. He didn't. He stuck with his "true" friend, because Owens loves to prove people wrong.

A year ago, he was thrilled to be with the Eagles because Donovan McNabb would bring out his best and because the team had a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

Both of those things happened. Owens became as beloved in Philadelphia as he was reviled at the end in San Francisco. Now he's willing to risk that status, even though there's no chance the Eagles will give him a new contract.

It makes you scratch your head, which is exactly what Owens wants people doing.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
LA=Pancakemaker said:
How is he making ends meet with that salary????? What a P.O,S!
I don't know how TO and Latrell Sprewell make ends meet on their meager salaries :rolleyes:

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
They may make a lot of money, but they spend a lot of money too. :)

AJM1613

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure his deal is only two seasons...even if it was a seven year contract.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is more about his agent probably stressing the large amount of cap space the Eagles have and considering they are already a solid team, he wouldn't hurt the team by demanding "his fair market share" ..

I just wish that the NFL teams would bond together and say that unless a player is released, they must honor their contracts or they will not be signed by another team no matter what. Make it so that teams with players holding out are immediately given the salary cap space.

I'm just tired of these overpaid professional sports players (all teams, all leagues) whining about how they aren't being paid their "fair value." They signed the contract, honor it or let the NFL team owners unite and force them to do so.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
hahahaaha! And Eagle fans thought he wouldnt be a cancer in Philly. This could get real good. This could be almost as funny as the Eagles not ever winnin anything. Cowboys 5 Eagles 0!!

AJM1613

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
hahahaaha! And Eagle fans thought he wouldnt be a cancer in Philly. This could get real good. This could be almost as funny as the Eagles not ever winnin anything. Cowboys 5 Eagles 0!!

I see no negative effect on the team. You see? That's what a cancer does, harm the person it grows in while spreading and getting worse. With no negative effect (ie. death) I don't think too many people would care.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I see no negative effect on the team. You see? That's what a cancer does, harm the person it grows in while spreading and getting worse. With no negative effect (ie. death) I don't think too many people would care.

Look at that little AJM1613 knows how to spin.

Ahhhh yeah Owens is a cancer just ask 9er fans. Get ready for the end and still no Super Bowls

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

yes a cancer in the human body he is talking about a cancer on a team(TO), it has to hurt the team if its arguably best player is crying about a few million extra dollars and not doing the right thing but to be fair its what K Johnson is doing, he also is a cancer

AJM1613

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Look at that little AJM1613 knows how to spin.

Ahhhh yeah Owens is a cancer just ask 9er fans. Get ready for the end and still no Super Bowls

49ers...2-14 without him, 76-52 with him.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Ahhh more spin. But guess what. 49ers never won a Super Bowl with him either.

But then Owens will be a good fit with the Eagles. He will never win a Super Bowl with them either. He shoulda gone to a team that knows how to win a Super Bowl. Like Dallas.

A WR that has never won a SB goes to a team that never has won a Super Bowl. ha ha!

AJM1613

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Ahhh more spin. But guess what. 49ers never won a Super Bowl with him either.

But then Owens will be a good fit with the Eagles. He will never win a Super Bowl with them either. He shoulda gone to a team that knows how to win a Super Bowl. Like Dallas.

A WR that has never won a SB goes to a team that never has won a Super Bowl. ha ha!

I guess a 'team' can 'know' how to win a Super Bowl? News to me.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I guess a 'team' can 'know' how to win a Super Bowl? News to me.

Well you dont know anything about winnin Super Bowls since your team never has. As where me bein a Cowboy fan I know all about it.

morasp

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

There were a lot more differences betweent those teams than Owens, the 49ers were hemorrhaging from the salary cap and made a lot of changes.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Well you dont know anything about winnin Super Bowls since your team never has. As where me bein a Cowboy fan I know all about it.

No you don't. Some of you other Cowboy fans do, but you don't. I don't know everything my team knows and neither do you.

AJM1613

Reaction score
morasp said:
There were a lot more differences betweent those teams than Owens, the 49ers were hemorrhaging from the salary cap and made a lot of changes.

Still, you don't remove a 'cancer' and decline.