The Horsecollar

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
John and Al need to make up their minds.

Roy was called for a horsecollar in the first half. Upon watching the replay, Madden noted that it was only jersey. Al said that last year the hands had to be inside the shoulder pads to qualify as a horsecollar but this year if a player is pulled down by the back of his jersey it is also a horsecollar penalty.

Fast forward to the second half. A Bear player grabs the back of a Cowboy jersey, pulls down and tackles the player. John says "Now, isn't that a horsecollar?" Al comes back with "Well, the hands have to be inside the shoulder pads."

Hey, jerk, you just said that the jersey is now a flaggable offense! Which is it, you schmuck?

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Paragraph c subsection 37 of the NFL rulebook states that the horsecollar rule does not apply when Dallas Cowboys are being horsecollared.
:D

Reaction score
There were two horsecollars in that game and one was called.

Thats the way Roy does it and it always looks like he is going to break someones leg when they come down...

Its just part of his game.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Tass;1666837 said:
John and Al need to make up their minds.

Roy was called for a horsecollar in the first half. Upon watching the replay, Madden noted that it was only jersey. Al said that last year the hands had to be inside the shoulder pads to qualify as a horsecollar but this year if a player is pulled down by the back of his jersey it is also a horsecollar penalty.

Fast forward to the second half. A Bear player grabs the back of a Cowboy jersey, pulls down and tackles the player. John says "Now, isn't that a horsecollar?" Al comes back with "Well, the hands have to be inside the shoulder pads."

Hey, jerk, you just said that the jersey is now a flaggable offense! Which is it, you schmuck?
We won, who cares?

conner01

Reaction score
that was the least of the problems the officials had in this game. i thought the call on witten was bad, the call on t.o. was bad, a couple of the holds where bad, the no call on crayton being held, and the worst of all was the call at the end of the half.
the officials looked like the rex grossman officiating crew

Triplets2005

Reaction score
It was one of those calls that could swing the momentum of the game, but in the end it didn't matter much at all. Any calls in the 1st half just seemed to kill all of our momemtum.

Both calls looked identical to me, so if Roy's was a penalty, then the horsecollar on Julius should have been called too.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I actually saw three horsecollars. One by Roy, and two by Bears D on MBIII. Roy was penalized, while Bears D didn't. :rolleyes:

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
jimmy40;1666858 said:
We won, who cares?

Yes, last night we won. But selectively applied calls can hurt us in future games if it continues. That's why I care.

conner01;1666864 said:
that was the least of the problems the officials had in this game. i thought the call on witten was bad, the call on t.o. was bad, a couple of the holds where bad, the no call on crayton being held, and the worst of all was the call at the end of the half.
the officials looked like the rex grossman officiating crew

I know those were bigger blown calls. I just hadn't seen anyone address the horsecollar stuff.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Here's a summary of the rule:

The ban states that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the jersey to immediately bring a ballcarrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed; in addition, the stipulation of "immediately bringing the ballcarrier down" means that, if a defender begins to bring a player down by the shoulder pads but lets go before the tackle is completed, he will not be penalized.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1666908 said:
Are there fines imposed for the horse-collar?

Roy will get one -- that was a textbook example of a horse collar.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Tass;1666874 said:
Yes, last night we won. But selectively applied calls can hurt us in future games if it continues. That's why I care.

I know those were bigger blown calls. I just hadn't seen anyone address the horsecollar stuff.
Calls last night have nothing to do with future games except we may get a few go our way that shouldn't but by all means, whine about a win if you must.

adamknite

Reaction score
jimmy40;1666914 said:
Calls last night have nothing to do with future games except we may get a few go our way that shouldn't but by all means, whine about a win if you must.

It's a discussion board... he's discussing something..... :rolleyes:

It's not "whinning about a win" it's simply talking about an aspect of the game last night.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
abersonc;1666899 said:
Here's a summary of the rule:

The ban states that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the jersey to immediately bring a ballcarrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed; in addition, the stipulation of "immediately bringing the ballcarrier down" means that, if a defender begins to bring a player down by the shoulder pads but lets go before the tackle is completed, he will not be penalized.

Ok, well by that definition the Bears player did it, too. Got no flag. Smell the anti-Cowboy bias in the air!

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Aye tass, how you been? Hows the wife n baby? keeping you busy ;)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Tass;1666935 said:
Ok, well by that definition the Bears player did it, too. Got no flag. Smell the anti-Cowboy bias in the air!

I have no problem with the Bears one -- that was borderline and the refs have to make judgment calls on those. Roy's was totally textbook and an obvious foul.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
the kid 05;1666950 said:
Aye tass, how you been? Hows the wife n baby? keeping you busy ;)

Well, the baby is definitely keeping me busy but he is potty trained now so that makes things better. :) The older kids are doing their high school thing and the wife is still in Iraq getting shot at. That sucks.

The good news is that she'll be home in early November and she can't wait to sit on the back of our Harley and cruise. :cool:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
abersonc;1666909 said:
Roy will get one -- that was a textbook example of a horse collar.

Exactly. And the other two (by the Bears) were NOT horse collars.

I wish people would learn the difference.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Rack;1667399 said:
Exactly. And the other two (by the Bears) were NOT horse collars.

I wish people would learn the difference.

What? It isn't any time you grab the back of the jersey?

If only the refs knew that -- oh, wait....