The Horsecollar

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
abersonc;1667413 said:
What? It isn't any time you grab the back of the jersey?

If only the refs knew that -- oh, wait....

:laugh2:

I think people think it's anytime you grab the back of the collar cuz the rule is called the "Horse collar" rule, but obviously it's not that simple.

Roy's was an obvious violation.

THat said, I think the rule itself is a joke.

Reaction score
It's not just grabbing the jersey or inside the pads, it's bringing them down backwards so their legs buckle up. The ones they didn't call against us would have been bad calls if they did call them. The one against Roy was blatant, and stupid because the guy was already going out of bounds.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Joshmvii;1667447 said:
It's not just grabbing the jersey or inside the pads, it's bringing them down backwards so their legs buckle up. The ones they didn't call against us would have been bad calls if they did call them. The one against Roy was blatant, and stupid because the guy was already going out of bounds.

Roy was trying to keep him from going out of bounds, that's why he did it.

Doesn't make it ok, but I understand why he did it. He didn't WANT the TE to go out of bounds (wanted the clock to continue running).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Joshmvii;1667447 said:

More stupid is that if there is ANY player in the league who should know what the rule is, it is Roy.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Technically -- as the rule is written -- Roy's penalty should NOT have been called. And neither should the other two.

Here is the exact rule -- "All players are prohibited from ... d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket."

The rule prohibits grabbing the "inside collar" of the jersey or shoulder pads and immediately pulling the runner down. I just watched the replay, and Roy did not grab the inside collar. He grabbed the jersey on the outside, at Clark's nameplate.

Now, if the NFL wanted to avoid having players injured by that type of tackle, they shouldn't have stipulated what got grabbed. Whether you grab the back of the jersey, the collar, the top of the shoulder pads or the hair sticking out the back of the helmet (which is where Barber was grabbed), it's the action of being pulled down immediately backward that causes injuries, not the grabbing of the collar. On two of Roy's three infamous horse-collars that brought about the rule, he didn't have his hands inside the collar, either.