The hype train

BlindFaith

Reaction score
With all of this excitement around cerain players, it got me thinking.

What players, panned out or not, have really come in on the hype train?

The best I could come up with is Drew Henson. We were in QB he...ck and all the buzz was about us getting him signed.

And for the record, I thought Chad Hutchenson was going to be something. That all changed when I saw him and Richmond Flowers? sitting on a bed, singing together while Hutch strummed a guitar.

So yes, I occasionally buy into hype as well. Occasionally. But barely ever. Mostly.

Havic

Reaction score
When that trade happened I thought for sure we’d at least get 2 super bowls out of it
Everyone in Detroit knew he was pretty much done and it was Megatron's time. What is really sickening is I forget which team it was picked up Bolden for like a 2 or 3.

JayFord

Reaction score
There wasnt a day that went by that I ever thought either Drew Henson or Chad Hutchinson would do it up in Dallas...and Hensons Buzz came from him being a baseball player as well as a football player

they actually exceeded all my expectations....

but anyways

Deion - i was hype...as a kid i thought i was deion he was hyped up and delivered

La'Roi Glover - man was a beast!!! i just wish we hadnt wasted him

Joey Galloway - we got him I said JACKPOT!!! but he got hurt

Roy Williams - I said YES!!!! but boy was he a HUGE letdown...like i still dont understand how he was so mediocre here

Eddie George - Seriously thought he would run for 1500 yards....he wasnt bad when the titans released him just older

Lastly Vinny Testaverde...Parcells bought him in and there was alot of talk about their previous relationship in the jet days when Vinny had some sucess....

and as soon as Vinny Lined up and tried to take a snap from under the GUARD i was bout done with him

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most of the players that get hyped by the fans don’t pan out. They end up going way overboard and the player disappoints. I don’t get overly excited about anyone we draft, I wait until we see them on the field in an NFL game. Injuries could happen, or they end up not being very good at the NFL level. I’ve been watching NFL football too long to get all worked up over a player because of what they did in college or on their highlight reel.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There wasnt a day that went by that I ever thought either Drew Henson or Chad Hutchinson would do it up in Dallas...and Hensons Buzz came from him being a baseball player as well as a football player

they actually exceeded all my expectations....

but anyways

Deion - i was hype...as a kid i thought i was deion he was hyped up and delivered

La'Roi Glover - man was a beast!!! i just wish we hadnt wasted him

Joey Galloway - we got him I said JACKPOT!!! but he got hurt

Roy Williams - I said YES!!!! but boy was he a HUGE letdown...like i still dont understand how he was so mediocre here

Eddie George - Seriously thought he would run for 1500 yards....he wasnt bad when the titans released him just older

Lastly Vinny Testaverde...Parcells bought him in and there was alot of talk about their previous relationship in the jet days when Vinny had some sucess....

and as soon as Vinny Lined up and tried to take a snap from under the GUARD i was bout done with him
I never thought WR Roy Williams would pan out, his numbers were declining in Detroit. Don’t know how anyone thought Eddie George would pan out with a Cowboys. He was in decline, and his numbers were dwindling in Tennessee. He was a complete flop. Vinny was already done when he arrived in Dallas. He was riding the pine with the Jets.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I guess I'm missing something....What hype? As long as this team has Prescott pulling the trigger...we are screwed. :thumbdown:

Let me know when this nightmare is over.....:popcorn:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Great topic. Great thread.

I have been watching the Cowboys since 1960. I have pretty much learned to wait before I start hyping a player until I have seen them in action once the season begins. You just never really know about guys from season to season. It is such a dynamic game and so demanding on players physically. They can be very good one season and hit the wall the next. I have seen that happen so many times.....

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
When that trade happened I thought for sure we’d at least get 2 super bowls out of it
I for one, thought he was a little past his prime but still didnt expect he would be so bad, Luckily Dez was coming in around that time .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all of this excitement around cerain players, it got me thinking.

What players, panned out or not, have really come in on the hype train?

The best I could come up with is Drew Henson. We were in QB he...ck and all the buzz was about us getting him signed.

And for the record, I thought Chad Hutchenson was going to be something. That all changed when I saw him and Richmond Flowers? sitting on a bed, singing together while Hutch strummed a guitar.

So yes, I occasionally buy into hype as well. Occasionally. But barely ever. Mostly.
Recent CZ hype train:
2021 to present: Jabril Cox

2023: Hunter Luepke

My personal hype & fail: AOA

Carson

Reaction score
Recent CZ hype train:
2021 to present: Jabril Cox

2023: Hunter Luepke

My personal hype & fail: AOA
I feel you on AOA.

I thought Pat Watkins would be Ed Reed. Strangely he had a hell of a career at Corner in the CFL