The hype train

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
We didn’t have a QB to take advantage of his deep speed. He did very well in Tampa after we traded him.
Agreed. It's too bad we couldn't really see Galloway, Rocket and James McKnight with Aikman at QB. Not sure there has been a faster trio of WRs in NFL history. If so, not many.
But as we saw, that team was a mess.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
With all of this excitement around cerain players, it got me thinking.

What players, panned out or not, have really come in on the hype train?

The best I could come up with is Drew Henson. We were in QB he...ck and all the buzz was about us getting him signed.

And for the record, I thought Chad Hutchenson was going to be something. That all changed when I saw him and Richmond Flowers? sitting on a bed, singing together while Hutch strummed a guitar.

So yes, I occasionally buy into hype as well. Occasionally. But barely ever. Mostly.
Always a better bet to count on players drafted in the first 3 rounds. The Cowboys signed or traded for several veterans drafted in the first 3 rounds in this past few months.

1st round players:

DE Dante Fowler, Jr.
WR Brandin Cooks
CB Stephon Gilmore
DT Mazi Smith
LB Leighton Vander Esch

2nd Round

DT Johnathan Hankins
RB Ronald Jones
TE Luke Schoonmaker

3rd Round

OL Chuma Edoga
LB DeMarvion Overshown

It’s great when teams hit in 3rd day picks and undrafted free agents. The Cowboys do as good a job as any team in hitting on those players, and better than most teams. But the core of NFL team rosters are made up of players drafted in the top 100 each year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed. It's too bad we couldn't really see Galloway, Rocket and James McKnight with Aikman at QB. Not sure there has been a faster trio of WRs in NFL history. If so, not many.
But as we saw, that team was a mess.
The only reason Jerry made the trade was to give Aikman a deep threat. After we lost Galloway we lost Aikman later that season and he was done for good. That foiled the trade plus the team was in deep decline. Our QB situation was terrible and our OL was a wreck. Those were some dark days.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all of this excitement around cerain players, it got me thinking.

What players, panned out or not, have really come in on the hype train?

The best I could come up with is Drew Henson. We were in QB he...ck and all the buzz was about us getting him signed.

And for the record, I thought Chad Hutchenson was going to be something. That all changed when I saw him and Richmond Flowers? sitting on a bed, singing together while Hutch strummed a guitar.

So yes, I occasionally buy into hype as well. Occasionally. But barely ever. Mostly.
I feel you on AOA.

I thought Pat Watkins would be Ed Reed. Strangely he had a hell of a career at Corner in the CFL
On the plus side, there were 4 times the Cowboys drafted my favorite player in the draft...
Witten
Tyron
Frederick
Tyler Smith

I wanted to draft Witten in the 1st.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
There wasnt a day that went by that I ever thought either Drew Henson or Chad Hutchinson would do it up in Dallas...and Hensons Buzz came from him being a baseball player as well as a football player

they actually exceeded all my expectations....

but anyways

Deion - i was hype...as a kid i thought i was deion he was hyped up and delivered

La'Roi Glover - man was a beast!!! i just wish we hadnt wasted him

Joey Galloway - we got him I said JACKPOT!!! but he got hurt

Roy Williams - I said YES!!!! but boy was he a HUGE letdown...like i still dont understand how he was so mediocre here

Eddie George - Seriously thought he would run for 1500 yards....he wasnt bad when the titans released him just older

Lastly Vinny Testaverde...Parcells bought him in and there was alot of talk about their previous relationship in the jet days when Vinny had some sucess....

and as soon as Vinny Lined up and tried to take a snap from under the GUARD i was bout done with him
Forgot about Eddie George. Talk about a power back. Very under rated.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The only reason Jerry made the trade was to give Aikman a deep threat. After we lost Galloway we lost Aikman later that season and he was done for good. That foiled the trade plus the team was in deep decline. Our QB situation was terrible and our OL was a wreck. Those were some dark days.
Oh yeah, that lead into the great corner back draft. Goodrich, Hunter and Lattimore.

That was a hype draft. Goodrich ended up getting into a car accident where he killed someone. Hunter ran the 40 in borrowed shoes and Lattimore, the most physically talented, just fizzled out.

I also remember a RB getting getting some hype. Thompson? 4.3 speed. Big. Nadda.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
On the plus side, there were 4 times the Cowboys drafted my favorite player in the draft...
Witten
Tyron
Frederick
Tyler Smith

I wanted to draft Witten in the 1st.
There were a bunch of us on the Witten train that year. I wanted him in the second, about lost my mind when he was falling in the third.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that lead into the great corner back draft. Goodrich, Hunter and Lattimore.

That was a hype draft. Goodrich ended up getting into a car accident where he killed someone. Hunter ran the 40 in borrowed shoes and Lattimore, the most physically talented, just fizzled out.

I also remember a RB getting getting some hype. Thompson? 4.3 speed. Big. Nadda.
I remember Thompson with the 4.3 speed. Didn’t take long for him to flame out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glenn Carano
Howard Richards
Alexander Wright
Shante Carver
David LaFleur
Drew Henson
Bobby Carpenter
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Morris Claiborne

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I remember Thompson with the 4.3 speed. Didn’t take long for him to flame out.
And Marion the Barbarian. Troy Hambrick. The post Emmitt and Aikman early days were painful.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glenn Carano
Howard Richards
Alexander Wright
Shante Carver
David LaFleur
Drew Henson
Bobby Carpenter
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Morris Claiborne

Glenn Carano beat out Steve DeBerg...

Career passing yards:
Carano: 304
Deberg: 34,241

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Glenn Carano
Howard Richards
Alexander Wright
Shante Carver
David LaFleur
Drew Henson
Bobby Carpenter
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Morris Claiborne

Not sure about how hyped those guys were. Maybe Carpenter. Wasnt he a Parcells pick. Cause his dad payed for him. Barbie was his nickname.

Now talk about hyped. Bill Parcells. Sooo over rated.

offlimits

Reaction score
Back issues have ended many a career.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And Marion the Barbarian. Troy Hambrick. The post Emmitt and Aikman early days were painful.
The barbarian was real good until we made him a full-time starter. Didn’t take long for him to run out of gas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Back issues have ended many a career.
Aikman said it was back issues that ended his career but the concussions certainly didn’t help. He had more than his share of them.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco Charlton. Will McClay told me he was better than T.J. Watt.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco Charlton. Will McClay told me he was better than T.J. Watt.
No, Marinelli challenged McClay to a naked wrestling match to decide Watt vs Taco.

Marinelli won by default when McClay declined the challenge.

Later Marinelli said he thought it was Tacos not Taco because his hearing was damaged that time he had a fight with a Bear.