The hype train

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The barbarian was real good until we made him a full-time starter. Didn’t take long for him to run out of gas.
Talk about a guy willing to put everything into every run. I admire it, but it doesnt lead to a very long career.

plasticman

Reaction score
Eddie George.

The dude flat tore it up for the Oiler/Titans. When the Cowboys signed him as a veteran free agent I actually thought the Cowboys were going to do something. Jerry was hyping up Eddie George like he was in his prime. He had 1000 yard seasons in 7 of his 8 years in the league and the lone exception was a 940 yard effort.

"He's a great fit for us, and he will complement an offence that will be about power running," - Jerry Jones

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/eddie-george-signs-with-cowboys-1.473446

Meanwhile, our quarterback was going to be Vinnie Testeverde. They also traded for Keyshawn Johnson and brought in Ritchie Anderson. Parcells was gathering up some old warriors.

What made the signing even more exciting was the state of the defense, ranked #1 in yardage and #2 in points scored. This was the Cowboys best ranking in their history. It still is.

So the Cowboys were armed with a veteran quarterback and a veteran WR that were both former #1 picks overall. They had the toughest workhorse in the league over the previous 8 seasons. Eddie was going to power this team to a Super Bowl.

Eddie George had nothing left. I mean "NOTHING".

He had no burst, no speed, no power. The first place he was hit by a defender was where he dropped. He averaged 3.3 yards a carry. His backup, rookie Julius Jones, took over halfway through the season and averaged 4.2 yards a carry

The Cowboys, 10-6 the previous season, dropped to 6-10.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Eddie George.

The dude flat tore it up for the Oiler/Titans. When the Cowboys signed him as a veteran free agent I actually thought the Cowboys were going to do something. Jerry was hyping up Eddie George like he was in his prime. He had 1000 yard seasons in 7 of his 8 years in the league and the lone exception was a 940 yard effort.

"He's a great fit for us, and he will complement an offence that will be about power running," - Jerry Jones

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/eddie-george-signs-with-cowboys-1.473446

Meanwhile, our quarterback was going to be Vinnie Testeverde. They also traded for Keyshawn Johnson and brought in Ritchie Anderson. Parcells was gathering up some old warriors.

What made the signing even more exciting was the state of the defense, ranked #1 in yardage and #2 in points scored. This was the Cowboys best ranking in their history. It still is.

So the Cowboys were armed with a veteran quarterback and a veteran WR that were both former #1 picks overall. They had the toughest workhorse in the league over the previous 8 seasons. Eddie was going to power this team to a Super Bowl.

Eddie George had nothing left. I mean "NOTHING".

He had no burst, no speed, no power. The first place he was hit by a defender was where he dropped. He averaged 3.3 yards a carry. His backup, rookie Julius Jones, took over halfway through the season and averaged 4.2 yards a carry

The Cowboys, 10-6 the previous season, dropped to 6-10.
Nice recap. Painful, but appreciated

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Steve Walsh? I remember a brief controversy with some thinking he should replace Aikman. But it was very brief.
Ever the wise one, Jimmy selected Walsh, his ex QB from Miami, i think to light a fire under Aikman and bring competition to the position. I think he knew Aikman was his guy but psychologically he wanted Aikman to work for his job, not get it handed to him. He didn't do this for no reason.....he wound up trading Walsh to the Saints for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. Jimmy knew how to work that draft. LOL, can you imagine Jerry having this type of vision.

DanA

Reaction score
Recent hype men:
Free Agents:
  • Aldon Smith
  • Haha Clinton Dix
  • Dontari Poe
  • Gerald McCoy
  • Greg Hardy
  • Keanu Neale
  • Allen Hurns

Draft Favorites:
  • Xavier Woods
  • Jalen Tolbert
  • Neville Gallimore
  • Ceedee Lamb
  • Trevon Diggs
  • Tyler Biadasz

These were all considered major "steals" and some were.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Ever the wise one, Jimmy selected Walsh, his ex QB from Miami, i think to light a fire under Aikman and bring competition to the position. I think he knew Aikman was his guy but psychologically he wanted Aikman to work for his job, not get it handed to him. He didn't do this for no reason.....he wound up trading Walsh to the Saints for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. Jimmy knew how to work that draft. LOL, can you imagine Jerry having this type of vision.
I know the story. Just didnt think he was that hyped. But again, that was pre internet.

Things in general are more hyped due to social media, etc.

Creeper

Reaction score
After every draft we see the hype train pull into the station. Then after a couple of preseason games we see the same thing. Usually it's a wide receiver who has a good preseason and winds up soiling the sheets in regulation games. Last year it was Dennis Houston.

This year's post draft analysis of Deuce Vaughn and Overshown I think is mostly hype. Let's see what happens when the season starts.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I could come up with an all time 22 on this, but I don’t feel like puking up lunch.

Besides, it’s Kool-Aid season kids!! I’m all in.