The idea of being run centered was actually Garrett's

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by jchap2k, Oct 16, 2014.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

24,086 Messages
    15,966 Likes Received
    Garrett bashers are going to HATE this. People were just saying how Linehan was the only one who wanted to run and its all Linehan's doing.

waving monkey likes this.
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

30,856 Messages
    21,010 Likes Received
    :lmao:Playcaller flat out says that the dedication to the run in his play calling is from a Garrett initiative that he bought into. He did not mince words. He flat out says that he got it from Garrett.

B-b-b-b-but he didn't run the ball 2 years ago. . .

You cannot backdoor logic out of a direct accreditation from the playcaller himself.

waving monkey and Nav22 like this.
  3. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

8,014 Messages
    6,326 Likes Received
    The whole notion that Linehan's success means Garrett shouldn't get credit was hogwash anyways.

How much credit should we strip from Jimmy Johnson due to Norv Turner's impact?

Idgit likes this.
  4. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

2,804 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone is taking credit from Garrtt, they're just pointing out that when he was OC he was never COMMITTED to the run. He would try it but if the other team got up 7 or two negative run plays it was Air Coryell all day. I think now that he is no longer responsible for the offense he wants the OC to stick with his original intentions; I will not fault him for recognizing that he does not have the mental set of a run first offense as he panicks and does what a qb thinks when he is flustered, and that is throw, throw, throw. Linehan alleviates that pressure as he does not panic under he pressure and forget his game plan. I give him credit for this team playing well and recgnizing he needs someone else to run his offense or him, he also may have been too close to Romo making him ineffective or too trusting in Romo, Linehan does not have that relatinship and it seems Romo is thriving having his reigns pulled in a little.

5. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

13,803 Messages
    13,305 Likes Received
    the d
    drafting of TSmith then FBeard and Leary and finally Martin had no effect on his reluctance to call running plays.
    Regardless of YPC

6. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

7,067 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    blindzebra likes this.
  7. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

12,307 Messages
    4,097 Likes Received
    This won't go over well...lol

Fletch and rcaldw like this.
  8. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

7,755 Messages
    5,618 Likes Received
    Suuuuure it was.

9. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

18,227 Messages
    19,048 Likes Received
    Of course it was since the last few seasons didn't work when it wasn't the top priority. I do believe that Garrett et al. came to that conclusion over the off-season.

10. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita CowBabe Up!!! Zone Supporter

20,631 Messages
    24,971 Likes Received
    Why would Linehan lie about it? He wasn't even here when everybody was complaining about the play calling.

11. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    1,516 Likes Received
    With the OL that this team had, we couldn't run the ball that effectively. Perhaps that is the reason for an average of 57 pass attempts per game.

Fletch likes this.
  12. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    There is no doubt that Red knows what he wants to get done. I would even go so far as to say there are 32 HC's in the NFL that know what they want to get done. The trick is actually getting it DONE. This year Red has the pieces that are getting it done so far. And its to his credit. He put the pieces together.

There is no doubt in my mind that we are a better team with Red directing and letting somebody else function as OC & Play Caller. Does 5-1 leave any doubt to that?

I like what DeMarco said:

“I just think it falls on Scott. Scott doesn’t get rattled if we’re up by 50 or down by 50, he has a great mindset of what he wants to do and what we should do,” Murray said. “Give Scott credit. He does a great job of calling plays. We just try to execute them as best as possible.”

13. WPBCowboysFan

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

14. WPBCowboysFan

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    And another

[​IMG]

15. Longboysfan

Longboysfan hipfake08 Zone Supporter

12,528 Messages
    5,270 Likes Received
    Not that I disagree with either winning poster.
    But my impression was they always went pass happy too early in the game and never tried to establish winning the LOS.

stasheroo likes this.
  16. WPBCowboysFan

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    I think that is a fair consideration. It certainly appeared that way. But one also has to consider why it was that way. That run game didnt always get it done. And it was certainly frustrating watching it over and over.

17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

95,007 Messages
    20,665 Likes Received
    Not according to some of our board experts. LOL

18. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Zone Supporter

5,107 Messages
    3,837 Likes Received
    I'll trust Linehan's statement over anyone's argument on here.

Fletch likes this.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

75,548 Messages
    41,602 Likes Received
    That ought to settle it.

20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

18,051 Messages
    12,409 Likes Received
    I don't see it hard being to accept that given how much the team has ran the ball this year. And they have run it against 8 and even 9 men in the box, when they've been down and against blitzes. That's when those coaches that claim they are 'committed to the run' tend to bail out on the run. But, we haven't this year.

The difference is last year we had a pretty darn good running game and we refused to run the ball. So, I could see why people (including myself) were at a 'I'll believe we are committed to the run game when I see it.'

Well...I've seen it and now I'm a believer.

YR

stasheroo likes this.