CFZ The interesting similarities between Don Meredith and Dak Prescott

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In January of 1969, at the age of 31, Don Meredith, the Dallas Cowboys’ first “star” QB shocked the sports world by announcing his retirement. I was 10 years old at the time and remember being shocked that Meredith did that. But much like the current Cowboys QB, Meredith had become unpopular with fans for not getting it done in the playoffs and after numerous injuries he felt his time was up.

In fact, I find it very interesting how similar the situation is today in 2024 to what happened after the Cowboys 1968 early exit from the playoffs

Don Meredith had led those 60s Cowboys from expansion team awful to making the playoffs 3 straight years including two heartbreaking losses to GB in the conference championship games in 1966 at the Cotton Bowl and in the Ice Bowl at Lambeau in 1967. Meredith’s last playoff game in 1968 ended in an embarrassing 31-20 loss to the browns in the first round.

Despite having a very good regular season record as a starter, Meredith ended up 1-3 in the playoffs, his one playoff win being a first round win against the Browns in ‘67 at the Cotton Bowl. In 1968, the Cowboys were 12-2, division winners, had made the playoffs 3 straight years, and looked like they were primed to go to another conference championship game. Then disaster struck in the first round and Meredith became the most polarizing guy wearing a star on his helmet.

Sound familiar?

Look at the similarities between Dak and Don Meredith:
  • In 2023, Dak was second team All Pro. In Meredith’s last season in ‘68, he was second team All Pro.
  • Meredith led the Cowboys to three straight playoff appearances - 1966, ‘67 and ‘68. But they only won one playoff game in those 3 years. Dak has led the Cowboys to the playoffs 3 straight years, winning only one wild card game in the 2022 season.
  • Dak has been an overall excellent QB in the regular season the last 3 seasons, going 31-14 (Cooper Rush was 5-1 in that period when Dak was hurt). Meredith was 26-9 his last 3 seasons as a starter, but again 1-3 in the playoffs.
I don’t think Dak will do what Meredith did at the end of the 1968 season and announce his retirement. There’s too much money on the table for him compared to DM’s day. But if I were in Dak’s shoes, I would want to be traded. Meredith realized that despite it certainly not being all on him that those late 60s Cowboys couldn’t get it done, he did realize that the target on his back would only get larger.

Once the fan base turns on a QB, it becomes extremely difficult for that QB to push the restart button every season. I am NOT one of those that think all we need is a new QB and things will be rosy again. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think. But I do believe like Don Meredith came to realize, sometimes your period as QB of the Cowboys runs out. If I was #4 I would be looking for a new address.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In January of 1969, at the age of 31, Don Meredith, the Dallas Cowboys’ first “star” QB shocked the sports world by announcing his retirement. I was 10 years old at the time and remember being shocked that Meredith did that. But much like the current Cowboys QB, Meredith had become unpopular with fans for not getting it done in the playoffs and after numerous injuries he felt his time was up.

In fact, I find it very interesting how similar the situation is today in 2024 to what happened after the Cowboys 1968 early exit from the playoffs

Don Meredith had led those 60s Cowboys from expansion team awful to making the playoffs 3 straight years including two heartbreaking losses to GB in the conference championship games in 1966 at the Cotton Bowl and in the Ice Bowl at Lambeau in 1967. Meredith’s last playoff game in 1968 ended in an embarrassing 31-20 loss to the browns in the first round.

Despite having a very good regular season record as a starter, Meredith ended up 1-3 in the playoffs, his one playoff win being a first round win against the Browns in ‘67 at the Cotton Bowl. In 1968, the Cowboys were 12-2, division winners, had made the playoffs 3 straight years, and looked like they were primed to go to another conference championship game. Then disaster struck in the first round and Meredith became the most polarizing guy wearing a star on his helmet.

Sound familiar?

• In 2023, Dak was second team All Pro. In Meredith’s last season in ‘68, he was second team All Pro.
  • Meredith led the Cowboys to three straight playoff appearances - 1966, ‘67 and ‘68. But they only won one playoff game in those 3 years. Dak has led the Cowboys to the playoffs 3 straight years, winning only one wild card game in the 2022 season.
  • Dak has been an overall excellent QB in the regular season the last 3 seasons, going 32-14 (Cooper Rush was 4-1 in that period when Dak was hurt). Meredith was 26-9 his last 3 seasons as a starter, but again 1-3 in the playoffs.
I don’t think Dak will do what Meredith did at the end of the 1968 season and announce his retirement. There’s too much money on the table for him compared to DM’s day. But if I were in Dak’s shoes, I would want to be traded. Meredith realized that despite it certainly not being all on him that those late 60s Cowboys couldn’t get it done, he did realize that the target on his back would only get larger.

Once the fan base turns on a QB, it becomes extremely difficult for that QB to push the restart button every season. I am NOT one of those that think all we need is a new QB and things will be rosy again. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think. But I do believe like Don Meredith came to realize, sometimes your period as QB of the Cowboys runs out. If I was #4 I would be looking for a new address.
Wow, I think I've read it all now.......................Poor Don. :facepalm:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Ghost of Don Meredith: "Turn out the lights! The party's over! They say that all good things must end. Turn out the lights! THE PARTY'S OVER..."

Jerry Jones: "Nothing's over until I say so."

The Ghost of Don Meredith: "Better hurry then or you might be singing the chorus with me side-by-side."

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

• Dak has been an overall excellent QB in the regular season the last 3 seasons, going 32-14 (Cooper Rush was 4-1 in that period when Dak was hurt). Meredith was 26-9 his last 3 seasons as a starter, but again 1-3 in the playoffs.

Good post but good luck with the simple minded on this site they are going to accuse you of saying Dak is better than Don Meredith and write off what you're saying. Solid post.

1942willys

Reaction score
Don was a very different person than his coach and they never really saw eye to eye and that was a big part of the reason he moved on.

Now as regards the problems the boys had in the playoffs well the first two were against Lombardi's packers before they won the first two SBs. so they had a pretty BIG roadblock and BOTH of those games came down the last minute.
His last Playoff game? I think that really made him decide to hang it up
The Boys that year from the books I have read by people who were there felt it was finally THEIR time with Lombardi no longer coaching. Then to end the year like they did was crushing; and I think most of all for Don.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don was a very different person than his coach and they never really saw eye to eye and that was a big part of the reason he moved on.

Now as regards the problems the boys had in the playoffs well the first two were against Lombardi's packers before they won the first two SBs. so they had a pretty BIG roadblock and BOTH of those games came down the last minute.
His last Playoff game? I think that really made him decide to hang it up
The Boys that year from the books I have read by people who were there felt it was finally THEIR time with Lombardi no longer coaching. Then to end the year like they did was crushing; and I think most of all for Don.
Laundry wasn't a real motivator for his players and Don just wasn't having fun in the end and called it a day.
No big bucks back then as most players had off-season jobs to stay above water.
True talent at QB and a great leader of men!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Laundry wasn't a real motivator for his players and Don just wasn't having fun in the end and called it a day.
No big bucks back then as most players had off-season jobs to stay above water.
True talent at QB and a great leader of men!
If memory serves, Don once said that if football wasn't fun he didn't want to be in it. And that the final straw came when he and his wife went out to dinner some of the patrons actually booed him in the restaurant.

Sad, he was a very good qb and had good years left, but the fans ran him off, and we got Craig Morton, who he himself couldn't "get 'er done".

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If memory serves, Don once said that if football wasn't fun he didn't want to be in it. And that the final straw came when he and his wife went out to dinner some of the patrons actually booed him in the restaurant.

Sad, he was a very good qb and had good years left, but the fans ran him off, and we got Craig Morton, who he himself couldn't "get 'er done".
Even though it was before my time how we lost to the Colts in SB V still amazes me.
What a gift we gave them that day....we literally fumbled the game away!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I am no history major and I believe you know much much more about the history of the Cowboys that I do. I believe back then the playoffs basically started in the championship games and ended in the super bowl. Just making the playoffs was going further than Dak ever has. It was basically the equivalent of Dak losing to Mahomes every year in the championship game or the super bowl. I would love Dak if he did that. As it stands he throws up all over himself in the wild card round. Nice try on the comparison but not valid IMHO.

Plus as you say if Don made 40 million per year he would have played for as long as possible. Definitely no comparison there.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Some people on this board would take Dak over Mahomes!

I just don't get it?
Mahomes is the best quarterback in the NFL and already considered a top 5 quarterback of all time. I would love to see the post that said that. I mean you Dak haters just need to find a new team and stop making up stuff.

khiladi

Reaction score
You obviously did not read the OP.
Don Meredith had led those 60s Cowboys from expansion team awful to making the playoffs 3 straight years including two heartbreaking losses to GB in the conference championship games in 1966 at the Cotton Bowl and in the Ice Bowl at Lambeau in 1967.

They are nothing alike on that fact alone. And BTW, I didn't say you said he was better than Meredith, I said certain folks on here say he's better than Aikman, who allegedly was a "bus driver" or "game manager".

jgboys1

Reaction score

I wonder if Super Bowl V would have had different outcome if Roger Staubach would have started in that game?

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

It's a perspective thing IMO,,, If you put Dak on a team with a great defense and running game then you see better results, maybe a trip to the NFCC game. Being on the Cowboys isn't doing him any favors though, when the cap gets tight in Dallas the defense and OL are the first to suffer (and usually they're not well built to begin with). Dandy Don had similar troubles, he played on bad teams. Don't know that he had the choking problem Dak does, but there are similarities.

So, knowing what we know about Jones built teams, anything short of a non-choking elite QB in Dallas is going to ultimately fail because everything depends on them.