CFZ The interesting similarities between Don Meredith and Dak Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok, you are correct that Dak did not lead them from expansion awful to success. But I was not specifically comparing them in that way. I made these exact comparisons that are factual:
  • In their last season, both were 2nd team All Pro.
  • In their last three seasons- Dak 2021-23 and Meredith 1966-68 - both led their team to 3 straight playoff seasons.
  • In their last 3 seasons both were 1-3 in the playoffs.
  • In their last 3 seasons, both had good regular season records followed by playoff disappointment. Dak the last 3 regular seasons is 32-14. Meredith’s last 3 reg seasons he was 27-9.
You don’t have to agree of course, but that looks like a lot of similarities to me.
The biggest similarity many fans are missing is the frustration from fans with playoff disappointments.

Too many in this thread felt you were attempting to compare their skill or talent level which I don’t believe they are similar. Perhaps their records or stats might have been similar in those playoff seasons but the Cowboys without Dandy wouldn’t have been playing for championships without him. He was considered much more of an Elite QB than Prescott.

Meredith was afterall the Cowboys 1st QB inducted into the ring of honor. Most fans here didn’t get to see him slinging to Bullet Bob, Frank Clarke and Lance Rentzel like we did. And in an era when QB’s weren’t protected he was bung up on an expansion team with more broken noses and busted up knees than most which were a big part of his early retirement. Back in those days there was more money to be made elsewhere than playing football.

And while the playoff loss against Browns in 1968 was disappointing I would certainly argue it would have been a long shot going to Baltimore and upsetting the mighty Colts who were greatest upset in SB vs Jets as 17 point favorites. I would have liked our chances better with Meredith than Morton in SB V. That Colts team wasn’t as dominating as 1968.

I’d also argue while the 2 NFL Title losses which prevented Cowboys from immortalization appearing in first 2 Super Bowls there was no shame in valiant efforts against arguably one of if not the greatest team in NFL history which won 3 straight NFL championships ( last team to do it) including first 2 Super Bowls and only team in NFL history to win 5 NFL championships in a decade.

Last time I checked that Packers team of the 60’s has more NFL HOFamers (13) than any other team from any decade. Another great thread Bob. Too bad most didn’t get it. Instead they basically responded to their interpretation of the title.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would note, as many have pointed out, that Rush was 4-1 when Dak was out. I would also note that Dallas hasn't drafted yet, has players like Overshown who haven't yet got on the field and Diggs was out most of last year.

Don't be such a negative Nancy, how many people were all despondent when Romo got hurt in 2016 and - horrors! - Dallas had to go with a rookie 4th round pick at quarterback. And how many games did Dallas win that year?

Every season is different, you never know how it will turn out, to say there's "no way he's winning 8-9 games" is premature, at best.

Cheer up, maybe Dak will leave, and Rush will take over and go 0-17, so you can be happy your post was right!

Just kidding....
No, I didn't say he couldn't win a single game I said he can only win a game like 75% of the quarterbacks in the league that are below Prescott when his team is playing elite football for a very short period of time because they didn't continue to do that when Prescott got back they immediately lost a couple good players on defense they immediately started giving up a lot of yards and a lot of points and Prescott was able to match that Cooper rush would not have even gotten close again he's being overrated because we look at his stat lines he's not careful with the football he's not even a good bus driver the man just sat basically on the sideline made very few plays had our offense in the bottom 10 even with those elite groups around him playing great he still can only manage a touchdown he couldn't score points he did make mistakes some of them he got away with he's overrated I said he's not winning eight and nine games you might go 4 and 13 you might get the six games but is that what you really want I mean that you wanna get rid of a quarterback who's never had a losing season for one that's being overrated to a point that no other team in the league even sniffed at trying to get them on their team in any capacity whatsoever... So you can keep saying what you're saying I have proof the league made a statement by not going after this guy especially Kellen Moore they all watched the tape we could have ran the Wildcat and won those games in the same manner like scraping by just barely winning yes winning is important but when your team plays that great you should be blowing teams out you know like dropping 40 on the giants...not winning 20-13.. I say this because we know that groups like the defense special teams and the run game or the offensive line can't sustain that type of play they did it for three of those games in that five game stretch that you could have won without a quarterback... And then we lost to Philly and one of the other ones and again we got lucky in Washington that two of those interceptions got called back but again we could have won those games we could have went four in one using the Wildcat in those particular games the way they turned out very close hard fought all the way to the end because Cooper Ross and the offense couldn't do anything until guess what Prescott came back and zoomed him right up into the top five and number one in scoring red zone and 3rd down percentage..

The way our defense played for three or four of those games and the special teams adding special plays and being able to sustain a really good run game in the offensive line that doesn't happen very often in a season on the flip side you have to win a game like in Seattle or Prescott had to go toe to toe never punt and score on every drive or come down in a game like against Detroit and give the defense a lead or get up by 14 and 17 points against Jacksonville and Green Bay and have the defense blow that game Cooper rush can't win those games we would have never been up by 14 and 17 point that's my point when the defense starts faltering because of they're tired they're injuries they lost players for the year you start having that all over the team where your run game you know like zeke gets hurt caller gets hurt no I got like Cooper rush can't win those games that is all in black and white...​

So yeah to your point I think Cooper rush could have won some games but just last year looking at how all those games went Cooper rush would have been 4 and 13 last year that's how much Prescott meant that's why he was in the MVP voting because there was hardly a run game the offensive line was shaky the defense was absolutely just getting walked over most games...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No, I didn't say he couldn't win a single game I said he can only win a game like 75% of the quarterbacks in the league that are below Prescott when his team is playing elite football for a very short period of time because they didn't continue to do that when Prescott got back they immediately lost a couple good players on defense they immediately started giving up a lot of yards and a lot of points and Prescott was able to match that Cooper rush would not have even gotten close again he's being overrated because we look at his stat lines he's not careful with the football he's not even a good bus driver the man just sat basically on the sideline made very few plays had our offense in the bottom 10 even with those elite groups around him playing great he still can only manage a touchdown he couldn't score points he did make mistakes some of them he got away with he's overrated I said he's not winning eight and nine games you might go 4 and 13 you might get the six games but is that what you really want I mean that you wanna get rid of a quarterback who's never had a losing season for one that's being overrated to a point that no other team in the league even sniffed at trying to get them on their team in any capacity whatsoever... So you can keep saying what you're saying I have proof the league made a statement by not going after this guy especially Kellen Moore they all watched the tape we could have ran the Wildcat and won those games in the same manner like scraping by just barely winning yes winning is important but when your team plays that great you should be blowing teams out you know like dropping 40 on the giants...not winning 20-13.. I say this because we know that groups like the defense special teams and the run game or the offensive line can't sustain that type of play they did it for three of those games in that five game stretch that you could have won without a quarterback... And then we lost to Philly and one of the other ones and again we got lucky in Washington that two of those interceptions got called back but again we could have won those games we could have went four in one using the Wildcat in those particular games the way they turned out very close hard fought all the way to the end because Cooper Ross and the offense couldn't do anything until guess what Prescott came back and zoomed him right up into the top five and number one in scoring red zone and 3rd down percentage..

The way our defense played for three or four of those games and the special teams adding special plays and being able to sustain a really good run game in the offensive line that doesn't happen very often in a season on the flip side you have to win a game like in Seattle or Prescott had to go toe to toe never punt and score on every drive or come down in a game like against Detroit and give the defense a lead or get up by 14 and 17 points against Jacksonville and Green Bay and have the defense blow that game Cooper rush can't win those games we would have never been up by 14 and 17 point that's my point when the defense starts faltering because of they're tired they're injuries they lost players for the year you start having that all over the team where your run game you know like zeke gets hurt caller gets hurt no I got like Cooper rush can't win those games that is all in black and white...​

So yeah to your point I think Cooper rush could have won some games but just last year looking at how all those games went Cooper rush would have been 4 and 13 last year that's how much Prescott meant that's why he was in the MVP voting because there was hardly a run game the offensive line was shaky the defense was absolutely just getting walked over most games...
Gee, a lot of typing, don't know why, I already said i didn't share your opinion (and that's what your posts are), we'll just have to agree to disagree....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The biggest similarity many fans are missing is the frustration from fans with playoff disappointments.

Too many in this thread felt you were attempting to compare their skill or talent level which I don’t believe they are similar. Perhaps their records or stats might have been similar in those playoff seasons but the Cowboys without Dandy wouldn’t have been playing for championships without him. He was considered much more of an Elite QB than Prescott.

Meredith was afterall the Cowboys 1st QB inducted into the ring of honor. Most fans here didn’t get to see him slinging to Bullet Bob, Frank Clarke and Lance Rentzel like we did. And in an era when QB’s weren’t protected he was bung up on an expansion team with more broken noses and busted up knees than most which were a big part of his early retirement. Back in those days there was more money to be made elsewhere than playing football.

And while the playoff loss against Browns in 1968 was disappointing I would certainly argue it would have been a long shot going to Baltimore and upsetting the mighty Colts who were greatest upset in SB vs Jets as 17 point favorites. I would have liked our chances better with Meredith than Morton in SB V. That Colts team wasn’t as dominating as 1968.

I’d also argue while the 2 NFL Title losses which prevented Cowboys from immortalization appearing in first 2 Super Bowls there was no shame in valiant efforts against arguably one of if not the greatest team in NFL history which won 3 straight NFL championships ( last team to do it) including first 2 Super Bowls and only team in NFL history to win 5 NFL championships in a decade.

Last time I checked that Packers team of the 60’s has more NFL HOFamers (13) than any other team from any decade. Another great thread Bob. Too bad most didn’t get it. Instead they basically responded to their interpretation of the title.
Good points, and at least Meredith made two NFL championship games, neither Romo nor Dak (to this point) have even made a conference championship...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good points, and at least Meredith made two NFL championship games, neither Romo nor Dak (to this point) have even made a conference championship...
Yes but back in 1966 there was no playoff games to reach NFL title game. They were still one and done.

And in 1967 repeat in NFL title game “ Ice Bowl “ we only had to win one playoff game to reach NFL title game.

Meredith of course lost in 1st round upset by Browns in 1968 , his last game before retiring.

Dandy Don would finish career 1-3 in playoffs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Gee, a lot of typing, don't know why, I already said i didn't share your opinion (and that's what your posts are), we'll just have to agree to disagree....
When are you guys going to realize that I don't type and it's just as fast for me to use talk to text and be that long a sentence as it would be to type something half as long use the technology.

And again yours is the opinion, it's already been proven by the league who's not interested in getting Cooper rush it's already been proving because it's all on film it's been proven because we've all watched it literally you are wrong in this case Cooper rush is not a good quarterback, he is a below average backup they get the job done in perfect situations which cannot happen over a 17 game season he would struggle to get to 6 games and he would have to have some absolute perfect team play around him to do so..

Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion but in this case you're very wrong because we already have all the data to support my facts, we have all the video proof, we have the other GMs on how they feel about him because nobody else has attempted to take him including Kellen Moore.

You may not like my run on sentences and because you don't see them as fact and you're calling them an opinion,

it's not an opinion, it's all there in black and white we saw the games, we see the fact that he's still here and no other team has got him he's been exposed on the practice squad he's been a free agent and not a single team wanted the guy that's how you know you got other guys like even wentz , dobbs, and brissett and others.. I mean you got dudes being passed around the league and teams are going after them always as good backups but not Cooper rush... There's a reason for that the man is not even one of the better backups.. I take six or seven other backups that before I even considered Cooper rush but he's here Prescott rarely ever hurt so yeah I mean he has his duties here that he can at least be a placeholder, but we need a little bit more than that and I hope he gets beat out by Trey Lance this year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When are you guys going to realize that I don't type and it's just as fast for me to use talk to text and be that long a sentence as it would be to type something half as long use the technology.

And again yours is the opinion, it's already been proven by the league who's not interested in getting Cooper rush it's already been proving because it's all on film it's been proven because we've all watched it literally you are wrong in this case Cooper rush is not a good quarterback, he is a below average backup they get the job done in perfect situations which cannot happen over a 17 game season he would struggle to get to 6 games and he would have to have some absolute perfect team play around him to do so..

Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion but in this case you're very wrong because we already have all the data to support my facts, we have all the video proof, we have the other GMs on how they feel about him because nobody else has attempted to take him including Kellen Moore.

You may not like my run on sentences and because you don't see them as fact and you're calling them an opinion,

it's not an opinion, it's all there in black and white we saw the games, we see the fact that he's still here and no other team has got him he's been exposed on the practice squad he's been a free agent and not a single team wanted the guy that's how you know you got other guys like even wentz , dobbs, and brissett and others.. I mean you got dudes being passed around the league and teams are going after them always as good backups but not Cooper rush... There's a reason for that the man is not even one of the better backups.. I take six or seven other backups that before I even considered Cooper rush but he's here Prescott rarely ever hurt so yeah I mean he has his duties here that he can at least be a placeholder, but we need a little bit more than that and I hope he gets beat out by Trey Lance this year.
I'm trying to be nice here, for the LAST TIME, I appreciate your opinion, but I will not be replying to any more of your posts on this matter.

Time to move on to a different subject....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yes but back in 1966 there was no playoff games to reach NFL title game. They were still one and done.

And in 1967 repeat in NFL title game “ Ice Bowl “ we only had to win one playoff game to reach NFL title game.

Meredith of course lost in 1st round upset by Browns in 1968 , his last game before retiring.

Dandy Don would finish career 1-3 in playoffs.
You have to judge each season on its own. No, there wasn't a playoff game before the title game in 1966, but with only 14 games in the regular season, winning your division was bigger than just having a bye week or home field. That was a major accomplishment...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe when you realize we cant sit there and read all that.
I feel for your plight....but if one can write a short concise message, one should be able to speak it as well.
Please dont be upset with me. Just sayin'.

chuck520

Reaction score
Where did I say I wanted Dak to leave, or that he wasn't better than Rush? NOWHERE. I said Dak was a very good quarterback, you evidently missed that. Please re-read my post more carefully.

And under the scenario I put forth (based on IF Dak should leave, again NOWHERE did I say I wanted him to leave, I was just noting possibilities) Rush would run a different offense, one based on more conservative play calling than with Dak. And winning 8-9 games for a team with Parsons, Diggs, Bland, Lawrence, Lamb, Ferguson, et al is very possible. 9 wins means 8 losses, barely over .500, with the talent level spread out fairly evenly in the NFL, year to year there are always teams that are weaker than they were thought to be, whether that's due to injuries or whatever.

I've been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys since 1968, don't tell me who I root for, that's not for you to say....
If you want Rush at QB you arent going anywhere, and don't tell me what to say or what not to say. Thank you for your cooperation.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you want Rush at QB you arent going anywhere, and don't tell me what to say or what not to say. Thank you for your cooperation.
Never said I wanted Rush at quarterback, you evidently missed my comment "just noting possibilities".

It's the off season, might as well discuss what could happen, might happen, etc.

You took my post way too seriously....