The Jones Culture

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
2017062717_johnnie_walker_blue_label_original.png

:laugh:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think the problem is that they run it too much like a damn business , with no heart. no real motivation. is it any wonder that the players are just waiting on their paycheck?

I keep trying to tell people that **** rolls downhill. We can vent and blame players, coaches, and the refs all day long. The real problem is Jerry wanting to be GM.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yesterday’s debacle was a kick in the groin to all us Cowboys fans who have held out hope for nearly a quarter of a century that somehow if we had enough talent, it could overcome a lack of organizational leadership and a lack of a strong head coach. Yesterday was a huge disappointment but I can’t say it was completely surprising.

I won’t waste everyone’s time listing the usual frustration talking points of the last nearly 25 years where the only constant was a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and the guy in the owners box who bought a permanent GM position for a measly $147 million.

Let me just say that IMO, the biggest obstacle for this team (and every team touched by the Jones cartel) must over come is the JONES CULTURE.

SO WHAT IS “THE JONES CULTURE”? Let us count the ways:
  • It allows a man to name himself GM not by earning it through football qualifications but by being able to write a big check to buy the team. He’s GM til death do us part.
  • It allows that same man to name his children as chief executives in that same front office with no qualifications other than a last name of Jones and the same DNA. Nepotism rules.
  • The owner selects his head coach not based on who gives his team the best chance to win, but who makes him feel less threatened to receive “credit” while also allowing him to micromanage.
  • The owner’s favorite players aren’t always allowed to be held accountable by the HC. Starting with Michael Irvin, through TO, Dez, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy and even Zeke, the owner winks at bad behavior or poor performance without allowing coaches to hold them to account.
  • If the owner likes his HC, he may keep him long after he’s proven incapable of achieving anything beyond a wild card playoff win. Only because it makes him feel comfortable.
Several years ago, Jimmy Johnson famously once said about Jason Garrett (during a 3rd straight 8-8 season) that the Cowboys have a “country club” culture. Jimmy went on to say the players don’t fear enough for their jobs.

Case in point that supports Jimmy’s theory- Brett Maher. You would think after a lousy training camp, preseason and several bonehead kicks (like yesterday’s 33 yard miss) that some new kickers would be brought in to see if we could get someone more reliable.

Nope, not in the comfortable country club “Jones Culture”.

Bottom line problem in the “Jones Culture”: THERE’S NO ACCOUNTABILITY AT THE TOP SO HOW CAN YOU HAVE IT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THIS ORGANIZATION?
:clap::banghead:

I agree, but I believe Jerry knows his days are numbered, hence letting somebody else pick talent. His only roadblock to the super bowl is the red headed numbskull on the sidelines. Fail and he's gone.:thumbup:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let me just say that IMO, the biggest obstacle for this team (and every team touched by the Jones cartel) must over come is the JONES CULTURE.

• It allows a man to name himself GM not by earning it through football qualifications but by being able to write a big check to buy the team. He’s GM til death do us part.
  • It allows that same man to name his children as chief executives in that same front office with no qualifications other than a last name of Jones and the same DNA. Nepotism rules.
The Cowboys are a family business. The most valuable sports franchise in the world. Jerry counts victory in dollars, not trophies. Jerry wins the World Bowl of sports franchises every year.

Why would he change his winning formula?

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Think of the more qualified HCs that could have led this team the last near decade. With no salary cap on coaches, Jerry could have thrown obscene amounts of money at higher qualified men than Garrett. But that would somehow threaten the most insecure billionaire on earth to think that a top HC would steal some of his glory.
Bingo....he doesnt want a good coach

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
:clap::banghead:

I agree, but I believe Jerry knows his days are numbered, hence letting somebody else pick talent. His only roadblock to the super bowl is the red headed numbskull on the sidelines. Fail and he's gone.:thumbup:

Jerry's only roadblock to the super bowl is himself. He'd just hire another puppet for people to blame.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yesterday’s debacle was a kick in the groin to all us Cowboys fans who have held out hope for nearly a quarter of a century that somehow if we had enough talent, it could overcome a lack of organizational leadership and a lack of a strong head coach. Yesterday was a huge disappointment but I can’t say it was completely surprising.

I won’t waste everyone’s time listing the usual frustration talking points of the last nearly 25 years where the only constant was a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and the guy in the owners box who bought a permanent GM position for a measly $147 million.

• The owner selects his head coach not based on who gives his team the best chance to win, but who makes him feel less threatened to receive “credit” while also allowing him to micromanage.
  • The owner’s favorite players aren’t always allowed to be held accountable by the HC. Starting with Michael Irvin, through TO, Dez, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy and even Zeke, the owner winks at bad behavior or poor performance without allowing coaches to hold them to account.
  • If the owner likes his HC, he may keep him long after he’s proven incapable of achieving anything beyond a wild card playoff win. Only because it makes him feel comfortable.
Several years ago, Jimmy Johnson famously once said about Jason Garrett (during a 3rd straight 8-8 season) that the Cowboys have a “country club” culture. Jimmy went on to say the players don’t fear enough for their jobs.

Case in point that supports Jimmy’s theory- Brett Maher. You would think after a lousy training camp, preseason and several bonehead kicks (like yesterday’s 33 yard miss) that some new kickers would be brought in to see if we could get someone more reliable.

Bottom line problem in the “Jones Culture”: THERE’S NO ACCOUNTABILITY AT THE TOP SO HOW CAN YOU HAVE IT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THIS ORGANIZATION?

As bad as Garrett is I believe the country club, Disney culture is the biggest issue in Dallas. Coaches change but the culture will not. We fans are in this for the long haul.

Rayman70

Reaction score

as I posted on a thread yesterday: NO CONSEQUENCES. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. Until THAT gets changed, WASH RINSE REPEAT.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Great post Bob

most of us been saying this for years the problem of this club is not the coaches and staff they come and go
it is not the players they come and go and you can't have all superstars in ever position.

They talk too much and everyone of them has a show.... when a real action need to be addressed they back off .... look at what they did with Zeke and before with JJ tough talk and no action after a losing debacle
They base their decisions on emotion wrapped in PR moves to fool the fans a typical country club management style.
As long as they are there running the circus nothing will change ...just get use to it

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3mUSIKzW27WXnUJY5me8cD3nllcTvAP-Z-rNK7VfGTDqcvVICHQ

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboy fans are not being "wishy washy" as you put it. When fans see what appears to be improvement they get their hopes up, and why not?
That's what fans do, they hope for, root for, and wish the best for their team!
Then if the team unexpectedly dashes fan's hopes on the rocks it's sudden disappointment, and after 20 years of disappointment it hits hard!
Cowboy fans get jolted back and forth between hope and disappointment.
Give Cowboy fans a break diehard, it's not an easy ride.
I understand but it enables our ownership to continue their selfish egotistical foolishness which ultimately limits the success for Cowboys Football.

Anyone who became Euphoric after a 3-0 start didn’t have their feet firmly on the ground even after some warned to pump the brakes. And these lofty expectations led to the fall down more difficult to accept.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Solid gold bob. This should be pinned.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me tell you what the culture has truly created. What head coach, with any self-respect. Would take over a franchise without having total control. Who would put their reputation on the line. Only a new Young startup, someone trying to make a name for himself. That's the culture Jerry Jones has created

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
William McClay. Is truly the GM but Jerry's not going to tell you that. And thanks William Maclay for not needing the title just keep doing what you doing

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jerry can keep this circus going after firing garrett ,

i believe firing garrett will drive revenue up . like record breaking sales , up .

giphy-downsized.gif