The Jones Culture

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Yesterday’s debacle was a kick in the groin...
Meh. I’m somewhat smart enough to have been wearing a jock strap for many years now. I know not to get a boner for a tease who only looks good under the club lights.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yesterday’s debacle was a kick in the groin to all us Cowboys fans who have held out hope for nearly a quarter of a century that somehow if we had enough talent, it could overcome a lack of organizational leadership and a lack of a strong head coach. Yesterday was a huge disappointment but I can’t say it was completely surprising.

I won’t waste everyone’s time listing the usual frustration talking points of the last nearly 25 years where the only constant was a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and the guy in the owners box who bought a permanent GM position for a measly $147 million.

Let me just say that IMO, the biggest obstacle for this team (and every team touched by the Jones cartel) must over come is the JONES CULTURE.

SO WHAT IS “THE JONES CULTURE”? Let us count the ways:
  • It allows a man to name himself GM not by earning it through football qualifications but by being able to write a big check to buy the team. He’s GM til death do us part.
  • It allows that same man to name his children as chief executives in that same front office with no qualifications other than a last name of Jones and the same DNA. Nepotism rules.
  • The owner selects his head coach not based on who gives his team the best chance to win, but who makes him feel less threatened to receive “credit” while also allowing him to micromanage.
  • The owner’s favorite players aren’t always allowed to be held accountable by the HC. Starting with Michael Irvin, through TO, Dez, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy and even Zeke, the owner winks at bad behavior or poor performance without allowing coaches to hold them to account.
  • If the owner likes his HC, he may keep him long after he’s proven incapable of achieving anything beyond a wild card playoff win. Only because it makes him feel comfortable.
Several years ago, Jimmy Johnson famously once said about Jason Garrett (during a 3rd straight 8-8 season) that the Cowboys have a “country club” culture. Jimmy went on to say the players don’t fear enough for their jobs.

Case in point that supports Jimmy’s theory- Brett Maher. You would think after a lousy training camp, preseason and several bonehead kicks (like yesterday’s 33 yard miss) that some new kickers would be brought in to see if we could get someone more reliable.

Nope, not in the comfortable country club “Jones Culture”.

Bottom line problem in the “Jones Culture”: THERE’S NO ACCOUNTABILITY AT THE TOP SO HOW CAN YOU HAVE IT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THIS ORGANIZATION?

Jimmy is one to talk? He has a drug/prostitute/party culture that he had at the university of miami at Dallas. They had a party house right outside of valley ranch.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
This is great Bob but just earlier this year too many fans claiming how much Jerry has improved and this team has turned the corner on the cusp of many good years to come.

A couple bad losses and it’s all doomed again. Cowboy fans are wishy washy. Too many turn on a dime.
I do agree with how fans are, I am one. I like to think of it as being sold a bill of goods, only to find out when you open it, there's just another box inside a box, inside a box, inside a box......the packaging was superb, it came with ALL the right dressing, problem is, once opened it's just one empty container after another...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Man, Jerry was the GM of the year around here two weeks ago. What happened?
not I. ANYONE who thought jj or stevie had an eye for talent should be horse whipped. I DARE them to try hat crap now lol. Will McClay is the architect,period. Talent is not the issue. AS PER USUAL. Coaching and poor scheme ARE. I would say ownership...but that's not ever gonna change. What we can change is the coaching and scheme.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Let me tell you what the culture has truly created. What head coach, with any self-respect. Would take over a franchise without having total control. Who would put their reputation on the line. Only a new Young startup, someone trying to make a name for himself. That's the culture Jerry Jones has created
other than Jay Gruden or Garrett..I can't think of anyone else. MAYBE Kellen Moore...but that would be a Gigantic leap of faith on many fronts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s too early to give up on a season and this team 5 games into 16. But it’s not to early to declare what the common thread of problems for this team has been and continues to be.

Shane612

Reaction score
Cowboys' fans have been complaining about this, and JJ, for couple of decades.
Nothing will change until JJ is gone.
So, stop wasting your breath.
:banghead::facepalm::huh:

Rayman70

Reaction score
looking ahead to 2020..I think Kris Richard will be SO outta here, by mutual agreement and he will be a HC somewhere else.Likely.. Miami or Cleveland. IF Pittsburgh lets Tomlin walk, he could end up there. Dallas will be left holding the bag...its perpetual spin cycle around here. Surrounded at the practice facility are the players, BY YES MEN...that includes reporters for the team and local papers. ALL placate themselves to JJ and Stevie. THE DC.com guys make me sick sometimes...they totally abandon all common sense lol. NEVER 1 time do they hold Garrett accountable or ownership..NOT ONE BLANKITY BLANK TIME!!! Just listen to ole Mickey Spags...lol...he has an answer for all things Cowboys...and a hint...NONE of them are a coaching/ownership/accountability issue. NOPE...its just that we shot ourselves in the foot and beat ourselves. LOL...its not the fact that we stood there, POORLY PREPARED OBVIOUSLY, and let a run of the mill running back and a mess of an oline RUN ROUGHSHOD OVER US...with little resistance. BTW...WE HUGGED AFTERWARDS TOO. ANYONE SEE THAT? LOL...no freaking heart...no drive...NO CARE in the world. KNOW WHY? The 2 best supposed players on Defense got PAID and so,,,they are fat cats..so it sure looks as if they are happy to collect a check and get whooped. NO REPURCUSSIONS...NONE. I am so sick of the lack of standards in Dalllas. No accountability..top down. Its all nepotism 101. SORRY FOR THE LONG WINDED RANT...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Smith and Lawrence clearly made business decisions last week to not give it their all. PLUS the scheme has been a issue for years defensively.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys' fans have been complaining about this, and JJ, for couple of decades.
Nothing will change until JJ is gone.
So, stop wasting your breath.
:banghead::facepalm::huh:

So why should anyone waste their breath on coaches, players, players' contracts, or anything else for that matter? :huh:

ArtClink

Reaction score
Think of the more qualified HCs that could have led this team the last near decade. With no salary cap on coaches, Jerry could have thrown obscene amounts of money at higher qualified men than Garrett. But that would somehow threaten the most insecure billionaire on earth to think that a top HC would steal some of his glory.

Andy Reid was available and he had his ball club in three consequetive nfc championships games and one super bowl. He is a great hc to develop young qbs...

ArtClink

Reaction score
This is great Bob but just earlier this year too many fans claiming how much Jerry has improved and this team has turned the corner on the cusp of many good years to come.

A couple bad losses and it’s all doomed again. Cowboy fans are wishy washy. Too many turn on a dime.

There is one and only one barometer on if the Jones cartel have righted the ship: a deep playoff run where we play in an nfc championship game for the first time in 24 years. Anything short of that is the same ole same ole.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do agree with how fans are, I am one. I like to think of it as being sold a bill of goods, only to find out when you open it, there's just another box inside a box, inside a box, inside a box......the packaging was superb, it came with ALL the right dressing, problem is, once opened it's just one empty container after another...
I hear ya but consumers or fans who are sold a faulty bill of goods are often called suckers. Just saying and not implying it refers to you.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I hear ya but consumers or fans who are sold a faulty bill of goods are often called suckers. Just saying and not implying it refers to you.
ROFL... I'm not easily offended Blu, and hard as I try I always seem to get suckered in some how on some thing!!

fansince68

Reaction score
Yesterday’s debacle was a kick in the groin to all us Cowboys fans who have held out hope for nearly a quarter of a century that somehow if we had enough talent, it could overcome a lack of organizational leadership and a lack of a strong head coach. Yesterday was a huge disappointment but I can’t say it was completely surprising.

I won’t waste everyone’s time listing the usual frustration talking points of the last nearly 25 years where the only constant was a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and the guy in the owners box who bought a permanent GM position for a measly $147 million.

Let me just say that IMO, the biggest obstacle for this team (and every team touched by the Jones cartel) must over come is the JONES CULTURE.

SO WHAT IS “THE JONES CULTURE”? Let us count the ways:
  • It allows a man to name himself GM not by earning it through football qualifications but by being able to write a big check to buy the team. He’s GM til death do us part.
  • It allows that same man to name his children as chief executives in that same front office with no qualifications other than a last name of Jones and the same DNA. Nepotism rules.
  • The owner selects his head coach not based on who gives his team the best chance to win, but who makes him feel less threatened to receive “credit” while also allowing him to micromanage.
  • The owner’s favorite players aren’t always allowed to be held accountable by the HC. Starting with Michael Irvin, through TO, Dez, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy and even Zeke, the owner winks at bad behavior or poor performance without allowing coaches to hold them to account.
  • If the owner likes his HC, he may keep him long after he’s proven incapable of achieving anything beyond a wild card playoff win. Only because it makes him feel comfortable.
Several years ago, Jimmy Johnson famously once said about Jason Garrett (during a 3rd straight 8-8 season) that the Cowboys have a “country club” culture. Jimmy went on to say the players don’t fear enough for their jobs.

Case in point that supports Jimmy’s theory- Brett Maher. You would think after a lousy training camp, preseason and several bonehead kicks (like yesterday’s 33 yard miss) that some new kickers would be brought in to see if we could get someone more reliable.

Nope, not in the comfortable country club “Jones Culture”.

Bottom line problem in the “Jones Culture”: THERE’S NO ACCOUNTABILITY AT THE TOP SO HOW CAN YOU HAVE IT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THIS ORGANIZATION?
To the fans, the Cowboys are the beloved TEAM that we root for. The beloved team that can make or wreck our entire week.
To the Joneses, the Cowboys are a very high visability BUSINESS.

khiladi

Reaction score
I keep trying to tell people that **** rolls downhill. We can vent and blame players, coaches, and the refs all day long. The real problem is Jerry wanting to be GM.

Winning and running like a business are not mutually exclusive.

Golden State earned more revenue than the Lakers did last year and that’s unprecedented for an NBA team.